Recent content by harryconway

1. harryconway

Yamaha Stage Custom ?

Kind of depends on your meaning of "improvement". If you're willing to change wood type .... which will give you a "different" sound (but whether it's an "improved" sound is really up to your taste). From Yamaha ..... the Tour Custom Maple. From Pearl, the Session Studio Select. Tama would...
  2. harryconway

COVID 19 Nurses Perspective PLEASE READ

Respect !!!! Stay safe !!!
  3. harryconway

Another quarantine project

Sharp looking kit !!!
  4. harryconway

First Kit

10, 12, 14 is very common .... especially with a 20" bass drum. Measuring the shell, is really what you're after, yes. But you can measure the the drum with the rims on it ..... you just have to know how to eyeball/guessimate it. I don't have a Yamaha catalog for your year kit to reference...
  5. harryconway

Is there such a thing as a bad Sabian?

Like most brands .... price has a big determining factor. SBR and B8X are entry level. Certainly "better than nothing" ..... but I will always recommend buying better cymbals USED, than a new pack of beginner/entry level cymbals. From your "lower line" rating ..... I actually have XSR...
  6. harryconway

Export make-over!

That looks way nicer !!!
  7. harryconway

First Kit

And one with some deep history. While the Stage Custom dates to 1995, the 5000 series (Stage series) dates back to 1980. Catalog from 1980 here .... http://www.drumarchive.com/Yamaha/Yamaha1980.pdf
  8. harryconway

Do you buy multiple sticks or more of the same pairs?

My main go to is the Vater Fusion Nylon. Always have quite a few pairs on hand. And sometimes, I use the Vater Fusion Acorn ..... because it has a mallet on the end. Also in my stick bag, I usually have so sort of Pro-Mark nylon brushes, and Jstix 5A and 7A rods, and probably a pair of yarn...
  9. harryconway

Struggling with the floor tom

I use all 600 and 700 series stands. Great stuff. A 700 will more than do the job.
  10. harryconway

Odd Premier kit

My guess is a mid-late 70's Crown. I had a '75 Baron. 24" bass drum 18" floor (double headed) 13", 14", 15", 16" concert toms.
  11. harryconway

CoronaVirus

The basic guidelines are such .... "Newsom said the statewide order is consistent with the local orders. Places like grocery and convenience stores, delivery restaurants, gas stations, pharmacies, banks and laundromats will remain open. " Heck ..... that's most all the reasons I leave my crib...
  12. harryconway

CoronaVirus

Starting midnight ...... California statewide stay-at-home.
  13. harryconway

First Kit

They are, yes. I'm pretty barbaric with my stands. They lay wherever they fit, in the vehicle. I used to carry all my hardware in a special lined sailcloth bag ..... but that weighed a ton and I was a younger man. Now, if I have to make a couple trips, I make a couple trips. And I have a...
  14. harryconway

First Kit

You scored. Yes. Good buy. I really like Yamaha. Most all my hardware is Yamaha. I've had 3 Recording Custom kits over the years. Currently have a 9000 series (Pre-Recording Custom) kit in 18x14, 12x8, 16x16. And a Manu Katche Jr. kit ..... 16x16, 10x7, 13x12. Never owned a SC kit, but...
  15. harryconway

First Kit

There's tons of love here, already, for the Yamaha SC's ..... Nice kit !!!