Recent content by GetAgrippa

1. GetAgrippa

I don't know how to do rolls and use different grips

Go to Vic Firth and 40 rudiments.
  2. GetAgrippa

Metal vs Wood - these Snares Sound the Same - Video by Sounds Like A Drum

Well I agree with all he said, But I was just sitting watching a movie and listening on headphones (so multitasking in and out) )and I could hear a difference in timbre in transitions. Now I wasn't paying attention to what was what so couldn't tell wood from metal. But there was a change in...
  3. GetAgrippa

A really REALLY stupid idea

Well I’ll be my memory isn’t completely shot - it was Wavelength. https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/kumu-four-piece.27523/
  4. GetAgrippa

Pics of your pets!!

Have a new pet here on Moon base I. I sent off an exploratory ship to Saturn to see what's up-took it 9 years round trip (beat NASA''s timetable by a decade. This lil creature was on the ship when it returned. Friendly little fella and it likes to eat the giant nematodes like I do-so like a...
  5. GetAgrippa

Even with those holes in the Kumu those are fantastic sounding kits. We had/have a forum member with one (Soundwave-Soundcloud??no Wavelength was it?). If I was going to buy a top notch birch kit the Finnish birch Kumu would be it. But admittedly the big hole in side freaks me out LOL.
  6. GetAgrippa

Seems like it would be a lot of attack, less rebound (like a kick port), and would the hole be vulnerable for miss hits. You couldn’t make the hole too large - maybe 2 in max. Let’s do it to an old ambassador single ply head. Whst would be cool is have a plastic pin hold a Mylar flap to cover...
  7. GetAgrippa

Drum head choice - riddle me this!

An instrument can sound different at a store than when you take it home. It can take you back for moment-Oh no what have I done with buyers remorse. But each time I had that reaction I just spent time with it and discovered I loved it. I bought my 22 in Zildjian K Constantinople Hi Bell Thin...
  8. GetAgrippa

Drumless tracks

I just search for drumless tracks (on Youtube) in various genre and some are pretty good-others not so much. I've been in a jazz-funk fusion phase so playing along with bands (it's a vibrant genre with lots of new jazz-fusion bands as well as old) and searching drumless tracks. A lot of the...
  9. GetAgrippa

is improving inevitable

I've read there is some 1 million drummers in US-supposedly by census (another source state 2.5 million). Not that many for a population of 332 million. I have no idea of proficiency of drummers-I can't find any measures of that. I think one thing about drums is most people think they would be...
  10. GetAgrippa

The Fascination with 4pc

I think players bring the kit they need for a gig. For me 4-5 piece kits did everything I needed. Two gigs the only Tom I had was a floor tom.
  11. GetAgrippa

Loudness of (snare)drums: any logic?

I was just reading an article on Timpani and I always thought of them as resonators like an acoustic drum with two heads-but just having one head. However this article states it acts as a baffled radiator instead of a resonator. Timbre of sound can really jade our perception of pitch and...
  12. GetAgrippa

Loudness of (snare)drums: any logic?

Technology can discriminate sound intensity-volume much better than our ears. Our ears are skewed. "The human auditory field (green) is limited by the threshold curve (bottom) and a curve giving the upper limit of sound perception (top). At each frequency, between 20 Hz and 20 kHz, the...
  13. GetAgrippa

Ok... Who has Met Celebrities in the course of their Lives? Post your Experiences!

No famous people but I thought I managed to catch a one in a million photo one day after I stopped for a smoke by Lake Eerie. However after forensic analysis by our government they told me it was just some dude on a Dino floaty throwing a Frisbee.
  14. GetAgrippa

Super-Skinny Drums!

I would too-it sounds better than the Pearl POD.
  15. GetAgrippa

Super-Skinny Drums!

Here's my Pearl Rhythm Traveler POD right before I gave it to my grand daughter Hannah, The kick and 12 in snare sound pretty good-especially that lil kick is a cannon. The 12 in tom works ok. The two other smaller I'm not too fond of. Here's an old video using it recorded with my Zoom single...
Back