Recent content by FunkyJazzer

1. FunkyJazzer

some stuff from recent gigs

http://soundcloud.com/lloydhaines would appreciate feedback and stuff! x
  2. FunkyJazzer

Bill Bruford is coming to my college.

Bill Bruford is coming to give a lecture (I'm in a conservetoire doing jazz). I don't know much about his stuff apart from he's a pretty big deal. Obviously I still want to get the most out of meeting him so what shall I ask him? Is there anything people would like to know?
  3. FunkyJazzer

Rehearsal Recordings (jazz)

Hey guys, would appreciate some hits and criticism on some recordings from some playing I did a few weeks ago: http://www.myspace.com/lloydhainesdrums Cheers!
  4. FunkyJazzer

Studio and Live Pop Tracks

Hey guys, just been working with a singer/writer and have been to the studio recently to record a demo. We also have done a few gigs and there's a vid on YouTube of one of the tracks. I would love your feedback on them. The studio tracks can be heard here: www.myspace.com/lloydhainesdrums and...
  5. FunkyJazzer

New stuff

I have just uploaded stuff onto MySpace as it's much easier. I know nobody uses it anymore but it's a good way to check out tracks, in my opinion. Here's the link: http://www.myspace.com/lloydhainesdrums There's quite a few new ones on there but there's 2 that the forum has already been given...
  6. FunkyJazzer

Stick Control. Closed Roll. Help.

Hey guys. I'M CONFUSED. I am working religiously through Stick Control and have hit page 12. We've got closed rolls. Now I know that a closed roll relies on rebound for the 2nd stroke whereas an open roll relies on the wrist motion for both strokes. However, I feel I am reading a contradiction...
  7. FunkyJazzer

Recent Gig Recordings (Jazz)

Hey guys! I would really appreciate it if you could have a listen to the playing here and let me know what you think. I did a gig last night with a quartet (trumpet, keys, bass and drums) and I was quite nervous. I am coming to the end of my gap year and last night I was playing with three 3rd...
  8. FunkyJazzer

Rudimental Ritual With Brushes

Hi guys, I'm not at the rudimental ritual yet, I'm reviewing all of my rudiments with sticks at the moment until I get really comfortable with them. I'm working heavily on my ruff rudiments and I'm a bit concerned in advance for when I reach playing them with brushes. From what I can tell, the...
  9. FunkyJazzer

Are we being dumbed down?

Ok, maybe the title of my post is a bit harsh, and it's not an accurate or fair way to describe my thoughts - but I couldn't think of anything else... Is there too much information just handed to us drummers on a plate? When I read all the stories and interviews of all the greats (Tony, Elvin...
  10. FunkyJazzer

Meinl Byzance Jazz Series

Hi guys, Just thought I'd give you all a bit of information on the Meinl Byzance Jazz line. Some of you may know that they've had the line for a while now, and have just made some sweet new additions that I think might be worth checking out. This excites me :P Firstly, as what I believe to be...
  11. FunkyJazzer

Jazzer rocking out!...to some rock...

Hi guys. This is the first time I've ever showcased my playing over the internet... Most of you who have read any of my posts will probably know that I'm a jazz player first and foremost. But a friend from high school asked me to record some of his tracks. He's a rock guitarist and wrote these...
  12. FunkyJazzer

French Grip Issue. Help?

As you'd expect, I've always used the French grip in my right hand whilst on the ride etc. But after working through The New Breed and having to lead with my left on a left side ride (no way am I buying a second pair of hats) I kept thinking, "Man, maybe I should be using French grip here". Now...
  13. FunkyJazzer

2-ply snare head

Sorry if there's a post already on this, I just searched for ages and couldn't find anything... I just got back from a jam session at the college with a bunch of great jazz students. Amongst the rest of the half-decent kit I was playing, was a snare with an excellent sound and feel. It was an...
  14. FunkyJazzer

Future Dilemma.

Hey everyone. A quick question that affects and relates to my future choices in life... What do you think is more important for growth as a musician in the long-term? Practicing LOADS (like 8 hours a day) and playing with other musicians about 3 nights a week. Or playing with other musicians...
  15. FunkyJazzer

Can't afford new snare, bling it up.

Hey everyone. So after I purchase my new jazz kit, I won't be able to afford a new snare, which I need. At the moment I've got my old Mapex M-series (maple) 14x5"stock snare, just with the original stock wires and snare side, and a really beat up ambassador. I also use a Pearl Export 14x6.5"...
Back