Recent content by flamateurhour

1. flamateurhour

My band's NPR Tiny Desk Contest submission (multi-shot/quarantine style)

Wow, thank you Andy! I (we) appreciate your kind words. Disconnection of dynamic was a huge concern all the way through. We have until 9pm to play at our house each day and ran out of time with three good takes. We ended up sacrificing the ones that had more accurate playing for the one that we...
  2. flamateurhour

My band's NPR Tiny Desk Contest submission (multi-shot/quarantine style)

It only took about 3 weeks of running recording gear to multiple members of the bands, teaching them how to use said gear via Zoom, teaching ourselves how to mix, and also doing our best to line up 8 musician's tracks and personal interpretations of feel on the song. I'm stoked how this turned...
  3. flamateurhour

RIP to Tony Allen

Agreed. 79 years was still young for that man.
  4. flamateurhour

RIP to Tony Allen

RIP to Tony Allen. He was one of the the greatest and most underrated drummers, a master in subtlety, nuance, and genre defining undeniable groove. Here's an awesome Spotify playlist of his playing if you want to help booty shake him into the next life...
  5. flamateurhour

Including photos of pages from prominent drum exercise/method books in Youtube videos?

Yeah, it's the principal of it that would keep me from displaying pages. I've relied heavily on this book and have a lot to owe to it. I'd feel really down if there was an issue and felt as though I had disrespected one of basically three books that have been responsible for me knowing drums.
  6. flamateurhour

Including photos of pages from prominent drum exercise/method books in Youtube videos?

I'm definitely going to use extra caution with this Thank you for the advice. I'll do my due diligence. I'm introducing the book pretty early into the series and was worried that any cost at all may dissuade my viewers from jumping on, but honestly, you're totally right. My main reasoning to...
  7. flamateurhour

Hi all, Working on developing an instructional YT series. I'd love to use Ted Reed's Syncopation throughout and was curious if any of you have run into issues with displaying images of the contents of the pages? I started working on rhythm exercises to gradually introduce new rhythmic...
  8. flamateurhour

Earthquake during my practice tonight

Powerless is definitely a great way to put it. In Idaho we mostly have wildfires and the occasional tiny tornado. I see news of little tremors on the USGS site occasionally but this is a very rare occurrence. My cello player was teaching a lesson and apparently had to apologize to her student...
  9. flamateurhour

Earthquake during my practice tonight

Was about an hour into playing to some Zeppelin through the headphones tonight. Feeling great, super focused and enjoying myself. I've been trying to really nail the feel of "Whole Lotta Love", and was in the zone with my eyes closed. After the big Jimmy Page solo (after the bongo break) I felt...
  10. flamateurhour

What famous drum or drum set would you like to play in person?

Also I just realized that you linked said cymbal reissue. Thought you posted the classic Take 5 vid, my bad!
  11. flamateurhour

Advice for agility around the drums

Lot's of awesome resources getting sent your way. My 2 cents (anecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt): Regardless of what book or video series you choose, spend a fair amount of time doing exercises that are new to you. I spent a lot of time grinding things over the years and not seeing...
  12. flamateurhour

What famous drum or drum set would you like to play in person?

Did you see that Zildjian is doing a reissue "Take 5" ride? -- I'd love to play: Max Roach's Saxaphone Colossus drums Bonham's Green Sparkle, especially to hear how they sounded in the throne vs. through blended studio mics Chris Daddy Dave's D'Angelo Tour setup (or any of his setups tbh)...
  13. flamateurhour

This virus made me fall in love with drums again.

I'd put $50 down that you just described the major plotline of at least 3 upcoming summer romantic comedies.
  14. flamateurhour

Most influential drummers of the past 20 years?

I think I second that. Running with the "dinner party" analogy from the forum rules, he reminds me of the guy at a party that makes some offhanded remark that leads you to end up sitting down and having a heated debate with for 4-hours while the rest of the party goes on. That being said, not...
  15. flamateurhour

Most influential drummers of the past 20 years?

He has, and it's to my (limited) knowledge that they both came to that style separately, which is pretty cool if you think about it. However, Quest managed to cast a bigger net and was able to implement that style in a more digestible fashion and was able to get an entire generation addicted to...