Recent content by EssKayKay

1. E

In-depth interview with... me!

You sound like a good, kind, and considerate man Bermuda - you most certainly deserve it.
  2. E

Jazz Musicians Playing the Music of Rush

Here's an Rick Beato interview with Brad Mehldau -
  3. E

GEWA acquires Gretsch from DW

So, can I assume this means most (if not all) the employees in the Richland factory will remain?
  4. E

What Company Makes Your Favorite Hardware?

It kind of depends. I like Yamaha for some stuff (cymbal stands) and Tama for other (pedals). I can't disregard DW (it’s good) but for me, it’s overpriced and a bit overkill.
  5. E

Did you quit for years? What did you lose ability on?

Without a doubt - left hand finesse (I'm a righty) and overall resilience (I get pooped a lot quicker). I started playing traditional grip but switched to matched when I returned to drumming after 20+ years away (matched made it easier to reach all the drums/cymbals). Maybe that had something...
  6. E

Electronic kit equals more practice

Acoustic drums in my house? I only wish. . .
  7. E

Music streaming service

My point exactly.
  8. E

Music streaming service

I’m a Spotify guy and have been for about 10 years. But, what aarono said is about right. It gets to a point their “recommendations” become redundant – nothing new. Also, they keep updating their app which for some may be great but that doesn’t work for me. Once I have everything setup the way I...
  9. E

Shoes, socks or barefoot?

Always shoes.
  10. E

RIMS being Discontinued

1982? I thought that was yesterday - or at least it sure seems like it was.
  11. E

If you could study under one drummer …dead or alive, who would it be?

Jeff Porcaro but Clyde Stubblefield is a good answer (didn't think of him).
  12. E

Floor tom tilted or flat?

Yes occationally but not as often, particularly when doing rim shots. I don't know exactly why but it works for me.
  13. E

I’m a short guy and even with my stool setup higher (which I really don’t like) I’m routinely hitting the rim on the floor tom. I know I’m an anomaly here but I guess it just works for me.
  14. E

Tilted quite a bit and lower than my snare
  15. E

Traditional grip observation..

I was trained on traditional grip more than 50 years ago on grade school snare drum. I didn't know there was any other way until I started playing on a kit. I noticed other drummers holding their sticks the same with both hands so I tried it. I didn't know there was a name for this it just...
Back