Recent content by Durbs

1. Durbs

Tune bot ??

Linking to this thread if of use/interest to anyone :) https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/post-your-tune-bot-settings.168156/
  2. Durbs

RLK vs KRL

In one of Mike Johnston's (excellent) videos, he also points out the important difference between: RLK and RlK or KRL and KrL etc i.e bringing in dynamics. For trashcan endings, RLK/KRL is a serviceable, but blunt tool. For tasty-tasty feel, accenting and/or ghosting one of the hands brings a...
  3. Durbs

Holy Grail of the Drum World?

Not super-hard to find, just £££ - but Brady snares.
  4. Durbs

Most annoying drum beats

Really?! It's almost 4-on-the-floor and you can't find the one? 1(e)..2...3..a.... with a slight shuffle
  5. Durbs

Need a better solution to lugging stands

It was a random eBay find! Was on the lookout for a new HiHat as I retired by Mapex Janus (remember them? Kick and HiHat with the same pedal) - and this came up for £150 which seemed a bargain. Really like it; light & responsive.
  6. Durbs

After 50 Plus Years of Drumming...

My take - it's 2022, we have cool technology to make life easier - why not use it? "Learn to tune by ear" sounds like gatekeeping to me. You don't have guitarists saying this. Yes, you can learn to tune by ear, you may even prefer it, but get a Tunebot, and you can make your kit sing, without...
  7. Durbs

Need a better solution to lugging stands

For my 6-piece kit, 2-crashes, splash ride and EFX stack, I use a single Hardcase and a Gibraltar stealth rack. Personally, I don't like soft hardware bags. The weight and pokiness of stands + material just doesn't scream longevity. Trade off is a Hardcase is heavier, but I find it much easier...
  8. Durbs

Longest drumsticks?

I discovered Wincent 5AXL over lockdown and have been loving them and wondering where they've been all my life. Long, but not silly-long, but same width as 5A. So you get a bit more power due to levers, without the weight being an issue. I'm also relatively short-ish (5'8"), so gives me a bit...
  9. Durbs

Do People "Relic" Drum Kits?

By comparison, Mike Johnson's vintage 1960's Gretsch looks utterly gorgeous https://www.instagram.com/p/CLUivFvBEJx/?igshid=1i8zro2iqc5zg
  10. Durbs

Hi-Hat disillusionment

Out of interest - are you dissatisfied listening to your hats in isolation, as part of your kit, recorded etc? Sometimes it's worth having someone else play them, with the rest of the kit, whilst you listen to them out front - much like any drum really. I know when I've played hats in a store...
  11. Durbs

Snaredrum dilemma!

They're lovely! I have a Phantom (Aluminium) and love it...
  12. Durbs

INSTAGRAM / YOUTUBE DRUMMING CULTURE: LOVE IT? HATE IT? WHY?

Yeah, fair point - just read some of those that posted after me. Valid criticism on your side "Selfie-slut"?! FFS...
  13. Durbs

Woah - hold your horses, no misogyny here... I didn't say it was wrong, just that it irritates me, which was the point of this thread. They're great drummers, I just find it really odd that they stare straight into the camera. Also, I'd be really disconcerted if a musician was fixing me with...
  14. Durbs

Vaguely on topic - but something that irritates me more than it should about Instagram drummers. Female (and it does seem to by 90% women) drummers playing whilst looking at the camera. To me, it just makes the video not about the drumming, but about them - which I guess is the point of...
  15. Durbs

Is the secondhand market as slow as it is because of the lockdowns??

Yep - same was noticed in the photography world too... Job insecurity, no gigs, lockdown etc
Back