Recent content by Drum Guy

1. D

Why All Drummers Need a 14x8 Snare...

I LOVE the very broad spectrum of sound in the snares I have chased for 5 years now, from 10x6.2 to 14x8's, and everything in between (though never a fan of 15"/16" widths or 9/10" depths)... currently gotta great 14x8 Ludwig raw hammered bronze, and the most musical snare I have ever heard in...
  2. D

What Is a "Woody" Tone?

certainly Tama Star solid mahogany is woody, Tama Star bubinga is MR Wood, and most purpleheart snares, jatoba, or wandoo, padauk stave snares, in my experience... when a snare sound hits your ears and heart as if you're hitting a wood block or hammering on a fence plank, then to me that's...
  3. D

TAMA Rosewood 50th snares - how many?

not sure how or why, but after saying AND showing for a week, that they were out of the 14x5 and 14x6.5, Musicians Friend is NOW showing you can pre-order either rosewood again as of 1/18/24 at 5:30pm just thought someone might like to know -...
  4. D

just heard from TAMA USA - said they don't give out production numbers...not very helpful and not sure that's actually true since I've owned a 40th anniversary bubinga/birch snare that was 15 of 30 made. and I read somewhere that someone read (ha - rumors?) that there were 20 made of the 50th...
  5. D

except for DW (within a few days), when I write to a major drum company, no replies are the norm - ESPECIALLY Ludwig.
  6. D

Anybody know for sure how many worldwide (or at least US) TAMA 50th rosewood snares, 5x14 and 6.5x14, are made? I know from 3 shops they are limited as to how many THEY can order, but no one is able to tell me how many are made total in each depth?
  7. D

HHX and AAX together?

oh yeah, good point man these things are so subjective, I realize… just was looking for a little guidance and it makes sense about the B20 match
  8. D

HHX and AAX together?

this gives me permission then to buy that Paiste 16” rude crash that I loved so much in the 80s… just afraid my sabians might be a little jealous
  9. D

HHX and AAX together?

Struggling through getting a right sounding 16" to play well with my Sabian AAX 22" Omni ride, 18" AAX xplosion crash, 17" AAX fast xplosion crash - those 3 of course sound great together (they're glassy with a long straight decay) but I wanted something a bit different than another 16" AAX...
  10. D

What about a solid mahogany snare

its more pricey but my TAMA Star solid African mahogany 14x6 is a keeper - distinct sound.
  11. D

why buy a fiberglass snare...and which one?

went for the 5.75" depth and it sounds great - got more meat/body than I expected. Nicely done JM fiberglass snare
  12. D

14x5” or 7” N&C solid walnut snare?

thanks everyone for very helpful replies, 7" depth gives more versatility me thinks so 7" it is. N&C so well made.
  13. D

14x5” or 7” N&C solid walnut snare?

which depth do you think better suits and best brings out the sound of a solid walnut shell? 5” or 7”? I play primarily indie, pop rock, fusion
  14. D

What year Yamaha snare made?

may 2002 - got it, thanks
  15. D

What year Yamaha snare made?

here's the serial number - how to find out when this was made?
Back