Recent content by double bass man

1. D

Paradiddle--Hi Hat

Thanks for your good replies guys. Further questions: a) If there are 12 strokes to a paradiddle are they played as triplets in a 4 beat bar measure? b) There seem countless combinations of paradiddles. How many would you use as 'mussel memory'? c) When a drummer is taking a solo do they know...
  2. D

Paradiddle--Hi Hat

Thanks guys for your useful info. All I want to play is a 'minimal' drum set up--that is snare / hi hat and ride cymbal. (At my age to old to be carrying around bass drum and toms!-plus lack of space to use a full kit. ) Been playing now for less than a year. My mistake in saying in my post...
  3. D

Paradiddle--Hi Hat

When you play the paradiddle--RLRRLRLL--do you find it difficult to play the 2 & 4 on the hi hat? Is this something you have to work at? No problems in playing the paradiddle on it's own--at all tempos. Any advice welcome. I have no problems playing 4 beats on the snare and 2 & 4 on the hi hat...
  4. D

Hi-Hat Questions

Hi Odd-Arne Oseberg Many thanks for your reply. Regarding my question B: I can keep good time on the hat playing 2 & 4--playing a 4/4 rhythm on the snare with the sticks--no problem But if I play the 8 note paradidal the 2 and 4 on the hat goes 'all to pieces'. Do drummers play the paradidal...
  5. D

Hi-Hat Questions

Been working on my snare drum technique. Time to work on the hi-hat. Your advice and expertise welcome. a) Hi-Hat: The foot. Is it common to have the heel down and work the hat from the toe? Been doing that and a after a shot while foot ache creeps in--is that common beginner problem? Just keep...
  6. D

Traditional Grip v Matched Grip

Thanks everybody for your helpful posts--much appreciated.
  7. D

'Minimal' kit

Thanks guys excellent info.
  8. D

'Minimal' kit

Many thanks for your replies.
  9. D

Traditional Grip v Matched Grip

Do you switch grips on a gig? a) Pros & Cons of each grip? b) Depends on the style of music? c) Do most 'jazzer's' use the traditional grip? (ps---I am a relatively newbe--hence questions.
  10. D

Hi-Hat Stand To High

Thanks once again for your answers. Got the hacksaw--cut of a bit off--still to high for me--cut s bit more off--perfect for me. One 'happy bunny'!
  11. D

Hi-Hat Stand To High

Many thanks guys for your input to my question. Nice to hear I'm not the only one who has had this problem----Now, where did I put my hacksaw?---------
  12. D

Hi-Hat Stand To High

I recently bought a Natal hi-hat stand. The lowest I can get the hi-hat cymbals for me is to high--I am reaching my arms to high. The internal chrome height adjustable tube is at the lowest it will go. (The adjustable chrome tube being 18 and 3/4" long). The legs of the stand appear to be at...
  13. D

Getting Started--When to use the snare wire

Yea---I'm a lover of the snare sound--wires on. And dig the guys who play New Orleans style--and 'Just listen to the music'.
  14. D

Getting Started--When to use the snare wire

Many thanks for your advice--much appreciated. Yet to do a gig as such--so your advice very helpful. Thanks.
  15. D

Drum Mat

Many thanks for your replies.