Recent content by dcrigger

1. dcrigger

what's the difference between the Groove and the Pocket?

IMO slang terms used pretty much synonymously.
  2. dcrigger

Video Editing Software

For anything involved - like the music/performance videos on my YouTube channel - I use Final Cut Pro. For smaller stuff, I've come to enjoy using Camtasia. Of which, I know I'm only scratching the surface - but it is really geared towards screen-capture and making quick social media type...
  3. dcrigger

sound proofing cost in condo/garage?

I agree - though I think to contain drums, the double wall (enhanced) model is essential (the single wall version pretty much stop no low end at all - and that would be the thumping that can carry to three or four houses away) and for an 8x8 - they are about $23,000. Which still for many would...
  4. dcrigger

Wouldn't your fiberglass sheets have to be extremely thick in order to withstand inner pressure from trying to contain a vacuum? When drywall is really cheap I would think in comparison. Not that you were serious - just entertaining the your thought.
  5. dcrigger

Drum shed advice

Sounds like you've done this before - but this still might be worth checking out... (keep in mind - since this video was made, he (and a bunch of other people) are no longer recommending the use of Green Glue - if you want to know why, he has another video on that - well worth watching as that...
  6. dcrigger

Drum shed advice

Actually that specific box isn't going have much in the way of resonances. Its double wall contruction would appear to be quite effective at block even the drum set very hard to block low frequencies. As for the concrete garage floor - short of building a very expensive (and usually space...
  7. dcrigger

That's a great thread. Also my new turn-too recommended YouTube channel is this guy - here's his convert a garage video...great stuff... Again getting a condo HOA to sign off??? And for 10k? I doubt it. Actually for condo/HOA situations I would think the WhisperRoom thing might be the best...
  8. dcrigger

I would be hard pressed to imagine any condo HOA being cool with anything close to what it would take to contain the sound of a drum set. You'll really wanting to investigate each specific HOA - certainly get a copy of the CC&R's - which some will be reluctant to give ((though beware, those can...
  9. dcrigger

drummers who can't read music notation

Actually I was saying the ability to read and play such a chart (signatures and slash marks, not a Danny Carey transcription) isn't that lofty of a skill - if a simple performance will suffice - or fit the bill. Personally I don't consider "keeping it simple" as any kind of a goal applicable to...
  10. dcrigger

drummers who can't read music notation

Verbally discussing? I'm quite sure - though to be honest I've never been in a room of musicians, no matter how accomplished, where everyone was on the same level and depth... depending the aspect of music being discussed. Almost to the point of being a cliche, the keyboard player in that room...
  11. dcrigger

Drum shed advice

Just stumbled onto what I think is another great resource - marvelous YouTube channel that digs into all of this - included a detailed look at a build that started with TuffShed. But certainly check out more than just that build - as there is literally tons of great info on this guy's site.
  12. dcrigger

Drum shed advice

Of course, that is the scary part - knowing that what you are building is going to work. Since with sound-proofing, you can't test as you build - because it doesn't work at all until it is entirely buttoned up. Thus either learn enough to mitigate that risk - or hire someone that knows what he...
  13. dcrigger

Drum shed advice

I apologize up front - because I'm going to be a bit of a voice of doom and gloom... I get you are not looking for the acoustics of a recording studio - but realize, you are wanted pretty close to the soundproofing quality of one. Drums are one of the biggest challenges to block...
  14. dcrigger

Please recommend a good DAW

Besides the computer platform issue, I find the biggest distinction between DAWs can be whether at their core, their inception they were conceived as a tape recorder emulator or as a midi sequencer. Older DAW's like Logic, Cubase, Performer, Calkwalk all started as midi sequencers and had their...
  15. dcrigger

Please recommend a good DAW

Originally Emagic's Logic was cross platform. Then about 20 years ago, Apple bought the company - moving its key personnel into working for Apple directly and rebranding Logic as an Apple product - which resulted in the rapid demise of the PC offering. So no, Logic doesn't work on anything...
Back