Recent content by Benthedrummer

1. Benthedrummer

Thoughts on the film “School of Rock”?

Your prayers have been answered....here I am!!!! It's an ok movie. A bit of feel-good, harmless fun for the family to watch. Joan Cusack was absolutely outstanding. Not really deep or anything, just a nice light bit of entertainment.
  2. Benthedrummer

What's your favorite thing about being a drummer?

Aesthetically........drums are just outstanding on stage. It's like sitting behind some over engineered weapon of mass destruction. A beat sinks deeper into one's primordial soul that other instruments just can't tap into. Drummers are rare, we belong to a very, very small cohort on a global...
  3. Benthedrummer

drumming in an apartment problems

It gets to a point where you kinda gotta agree with this. You ask what you should do? Maybe look at all options of where you can live first. If you are reading the lease on a property....then you either haven't moved in yet or you are reading it after you've moved in. If you have moved in...
  4. Benthedrummer

what to do with unwanted cymbals?

I once had a rather large number of cymbals accumulated from second hand drum kits etc. I gave them all away to a little ma and pa drumming school just down the road. They were just so appreciative and very excited going through all my hardware, cymbals etc. These kids often have nothing and...
  5. Benthedrummer

Why do I struggle with Fills on the Toms?

I really dig this. I do agree, I try to spend all my practice time playing the actual drums. Rudiments and all. Ultimately I play the drums, not a practice pad or a pillow.
  6. Benthedrummer

Number of bands you play with

Right now? Absolutely nada, zip, zero. No one wants me 😭 I'm a one band man when I was actively playing.
  7. Benthedrummer

To clean or NOT to clean....

I collect military knives, genuine WW2 stuff. One of the single worst things to do is to clean them. It devalues them immensely and removes any provenance. However, if you are intending on keeping it and you now have clean spots from the stickers, I'd probably clean the whole thing. I'm bias...
  8. Benthedrummer

Favorite Cymbals of all time.

Out of my cymbals.....my favourite is my 10" inch Stagg splash. No other splash comes close! And I've tried a LOT of different ones over the years, including high end ones. It's my favourite because it's very cheap and it's my little unsung, under-the-radar little champ. I dunno if it's a DH...
  9. Benthedrummer

Infinite sadness

You've indirectly got yourself ready for your Latin gig. A timbale......all ready to go!
  10. Benthedrummer

Songs with misleading time signature intros (or "Where's the 1?")

Kings of Leon........."Sex On Fire". I'm pretty sure that the 1 is buried somewhere along with 2 3 and 4. That little rascal 1.
  11. Benthedrummer

List your Cymbal brands preferences

I really feel that Zildjian makes the best hats. 14" Mastersounds hats are to me the best on the market. Sabian to me makes the best crashes. Mix of AA and AAX. Sabian also make the best rides and Chinas. AA 20" Sabian heavy ride and 17" Sabian Holy China. My splash is a 10" Stagg, simply...
  12. Benthedrummer

Your biggest mistakes as a beginner drummer

Not...learning...how...to...read....drum...music. I had a teacher from the start...yay me! I had a regime from day 1 to practice a few rudiments....yay me! I was just really, really awful.
  13. Benthedrummer

The thing that benefited your playing the most

Getting divorced...... really worked wonders on my rudiments.
  14. Benthedrummer

What lyrics are meaningful to you? [Moderator Edit: As always, please keep the language appropriate]

Resurrection by Fear Factory. I'll Find My Way Home by Jon and Vangelis. Getting Away With It (All Messed Up) by James. Coward of the Country by Kenny Rogers. Overkill by Men At Work. Original Sin by INXS. Ben's Coming to America In A Few Days by Ben.
Back