Breaking sticks

yo, i used to have stick breaking problems one pair broken a month, but a little thing i learned to help fix some of that was good rebound

Just make sure you let your wrists move freely and don't clench the stick, i play pretty hard and i've had my current two pair for about 6 months now, the sticks don't break any more

plus if you use nylon tips they are more likely to pop off than a wooden tip

FOR EVERY ACTION THERE IS AN EQUAL AND OPPOSITE REACTION

if you do not allow the stick to bounce back, well what happens to your knees when you jump and land on your feet with out bending them?

Re: Breaking sticks left and right...

I play alternative rock and I do rim shots as much as possible. Basically I have to play loud, as it also improves my performance and sounds better. But even then it takes me a little while to get through a pair of sticks.

playing loud does not improve performance, trust me, just experiment is it harder to play fast and soft or fast and hard? try it i promise you there is more skill in playing fast and soft

If anyone likes their heaveir sticks, I'd definately recommend the Vic Firth Buddy Rich Sig sticks. I normally snap a pair every practice of the REALLY cheap 2B's, Vic and Promark 2B's normally last about 3 or 4 months. But my Buddy Rich's have lasted me near on two years.

I think the problem with snapping sticks, is finding the stick that matches your playing style. Of the standard ones, 2B are definately the more suited to me, but not quite right, the BR's are almost perfect. I think if you're going for 5A's just because, or because that's what you like, but keep breaking, maybe you should try either a 6, or a jazz/rock type stick. Just the small weight and shape changes that are subtle can help...

Verry durable sticks you can get from DynaVox manufacturer ; Slovenija Europe.
In case that sticks are produced from Rimm Shot Cornus wood they can be one of the strongest on the global market.

Re: Vater!

Welcome to the club! I think those Vic Firth sticks are awful - I never had a full tip on my 5A's for more than a week and once I had a pair that lasted 3 days before the stick broke in half. Now playing zildjian 5A's with plastic tips and although people have been saying how weak they are, they have lasted about 2 months now and the tip just won't break!

if the nylon tips come off of a vic firth stick they will replace it, guaranteed!

ive been drumming for only about a year now and ive found that having to pairs of sticks for different perpouses works good. i started out playing with vic firth 5A's and thoses would splinter and brake to easily. now i use zildjian trilock gurtru sticks for fast and light songs and i use promark 747 japaneese white oak sticks for heavier songs and rock songs. so far i havent broken a stick since i use two pairs

ive been drumming for only about a year now and ive found that having to pairs of sticks for different perpouses works good. i started out playing with vic firth 5A's and thoses would splinter and brake to easily. now i use zildjian trilock gurtru sticks for fast and light songs and i use promark 747 japaneese white oak sticks for heavier songs and rock songs. so far i havent broken a stick since i use two pairs

I was given several pairs of the Zildjian Trilok Gurtu sticks to try, they are very interesting to say the least, especially with the dipped indented grips. I find them useful with most genres of music and find that they balance beautifully. They're great for when your hands start to sweat, lol.

Dennis

I was given several pairs of the Zildjian Trilok Gurtu sticks to try, they are very interesting to say the least, especially with the dipped indented grips. I find them useful with most genres of music and find that they balance beautifully. They're great for when your hands start to sweat, lol.

Dennis

the dipped ends really give a good grip when sweating. these sticks have lasted me about 8 months and im just about to replace them

A good few years back, I was trying to make my sticks last longer and decided to adjust my hihats so that the natural movement of the cymbals would not expose the stick to the open edge of the bottom cymbal to axe away at it. I got 2 results; my sticks lasted longer and I cracked the top cymbal of my 13" K/Z hihats. I don't worry about stick wear now, I'd always rtaher break a stick than a cymbal.

Incidentally, I use vic firth nova rock size with nylon tips. I previously used premium vic firth sticks of the same size and type and found that they were inferior in terms of lasting and lost tips much more regularly than the novas. I've never had any quality issues with the novas either.

Just saying...

Iain

Do any of you guys know how the Vinnie Colaiuta sticks hold up for hard hitters?

A good few years back, I was trying to make my sticks last longer and decided to adjust my hihats so that the natural movement of the cymbals would not expose the stick to the open edge of the bottom cymbal to axe away at it. I got 2 results; my sticks lasted longer and I cracked the top cymbal of my 13" K/Z hihats. I don't worry about stick wear now, I'd always rtaher break a stick than a cymbal.

Incidentally, I use vic firth nova rock size with nylon tips. I previously used premium vic firth sticks of the same size and type and found that they were inferior in terms of lasting and lost tips much more regularly than the novas. I've never had any quality issues with the novas either.

Just saying...

Iain

When Vic Firth first put out the deal that if you bought 12 pair they would write your name on them, so I said what the hell but to my supprise they were not american classic and were the novas. Now normally I dont break sticks I just wear out the vic firth 5bn's on the hats till they get so thin that the ends just fall off and have only lost one tip in 12 years and they replaced the pair when complained, but I broke all but a few of the nova in only 3 gigs, even broke 3 in one song, lost some tips on a couple others. I dont know if they make them any better now but the problem was the grain went on an angle thru them about an inch from the tip to just in front of your hand and it would let go on the grain and usually on rim shots. I was later told that the novas are made from the wood they reject for the american classics.

https://skydrive.live.com/?sc=photo...1EE86491B00&id=B39AB1EE86491B00!190&sc=photos

Last edited:
I don't get how people break so many sticks... I'v been playing for about 5 years and only broke 2 pairs of drum sticks, and I hit HARD! The Vic Firth American Custom sd10 swinger "Rock maple" drumsticks i used broke extremely fast and left the floor with bits of sawdust all over the place.. I was given ziljian sticks, im not sure what the model is but they're quite short and narrow made of heavy wood. they have never broken and the only marks on them are little bumps, no wood shavings at all. The tips started breaking today, leaving dents in my heads :/ iv been using them for so long the tips were 2mm less in diameter.. If you break your sticks fast just try out new ones, my first pair of drumsticks are still unbroken, i dont use them as much anymore as they lost their flexibility, vic firth nylon 5a sticks

I don't get how people break so many sticks... I'v been playing for about 5 years and only broke 2 pairs of drum sticks, and I hit HARD! The Vic Firth American Custom sd10 swinger "Rock maple" drumsticks i used broke extremely fast and left the floor with bits of sawdust all over the place.. I was given ziljian sticks, im not sure what the model is but they're quite short and narrow made of heavy wood. they have never broken and the only marks on them are little bumps, no wood shavings at all. The tips started breaking today, leaving dents in my heads :/ iv been using them for so long the tips were 2mm less in diameter.. If you break your sticks fast just try out new ones, my first pair of drumsticks are still unbroken, i dont use them as much anymore as they lost their flexibility, vic firth nylon 5a sticks

I don't break a lot of sticks, I've probably broken only 4 or 5 across my drumming career, but i do wear through them. I think it has a lot to do with the height of my hihat and my technique, good or bad I'm not sure, I get so much sawdust it looks like the termites have been visiting, but like I said, rather a stick than a cymbal.

I don't break a lot of sticks, I've probably broken only 4 or 5 across my drumming career, but i do wear through them. I think it has a lot to do with the height of my hihat and my technique, good or bad I'm not sure, I get so much sawdust it looks like the termites have been visiting, but like I said, rather a stick than a cymbal.

lol, same here, Ive had other drummers get behind my kit and say it looks like a saw mill back here...but I agree with you. sticks are cheaper than cymbals...

Ok, so I've gotta throw my two cents in. I used to break 1-2 pairs of Vic Firth 5A's per 45 minute set with my band when we were on tour. I started using Silverfox Sticks because I had heard how durable they were. Seriously, they're awesome. They coat the stick with a thin coat of Duracrylix, which make them less likely to splinter.

The only way I approve a piece of gear is if it passes the gig test...and the Silverfox Sticks kill it! I was so impressed that I made a review of them on my YT channel. You can check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-NhbdFJiwU

I had Pro-Mark 5A Hickorys. I wasnt happy at all because they were very heavy sticks and I thought that they wouldnt break for a long time but yeh, they broke within a week. Now I use Regal Tip 5B Hickorys and Im happy with them. They havent broke for now and they are very light sticks.

Ok, so I've gotta throw my two cents in. I used to break 1-2 pairs of Vic Firth 5A's per 45 minute set with my band when we were on tour. I started using Silverfox Sticks because I had heard how durable they were. Seriously, they're awesome. They coat the stick with a thin coat of Duracrylix, which make them less likely to splinter.

The only way I approve a piece of gear is if it passes the gig test...and the Silverfox Sticks kill it! I was so impressed that I made a review of them on my YT channel. You can check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-NhbdFJiwU

What size Silverfox sticks do you use?
I usually play 5B sticks but I bought 5A Silverfox and I'm also a hard hitter and they last me about 2 months. And I love how light but durable they are.

As for the sawdust, a brush like this is great for cleaning drum rugs. It can also be used with a carpet shampoo.

picture.php

I think it all depends on the batch. In the past I've bought Vic firths in pairs of 12 and I've had 1 batch last months and one batch last a couple of weeks.

Back