Billy Ward here!

Sorry, my bad. BTW, are you saying Bill Ward isn't a drummer? Cos if you are I suggest you listen to some early Black Sabbath recordings...
No, no, not at all man! I wrote *DRUMMER* like that to point out the fact that most of us are drummers and as such we should know who Billy Ward is. Still, it happens :p but it can't be fun for Billy to have 50% of the people who post on his thread mention Black Sabbath!
And I have nothing against Bill Ward. Big part of Black Sabbath.
All the best, Fox.

No, no, not at all man! I wrote *DRUMMER* like that to point out the fact that most of us are drummers and as such we should know who Billy Ward is. Still, it happens :p but it can't be fun for Billy to have 50% of the people who post on his thread mention Black Sabbath!
And I have nothing against Bill Ward. Big part of Black Sabbath.
All the best, Fox.
Ah right, I get it now.

Billy! I'm not missively into jazz but I've just seen one of you're videos on Youtube...Wow

By the way, do you reckon you could get me Dio's autograph? xP

Hey Guz (dare I ask how you got that name??)

I'm not really a jazz drummer - just a drummer who made a DVD about jazz in efforts to help rock guys.

sorry, Dio is way out of my league. Maybe someday when I grow up and become more famous.

Hey Guz (dare I ask how you got that name??)

I'm not really a jazz drummer - just a drummer who made a DVD about jazz in efforts to help rock guys.

sorry, Dio is way out of my league. Maybe someday when I grow up and become more famous.
I was making a joke about the Black Sabbath thing xP

Anyway, my real name is Angus (Gus for short) and there's already a bloke here called Gus so I switched the "S" for a "Z"... Aren't I clever? xP

Last edited:
Guz - I was hoping for a better story about the name!

I'm very good with the bill ward/billy ward thing. no biggie. In the early nineties, when I was strictly a studio drummer, it was more ...uh, itchy and scratchy. I'd be at a music store and somebody would suddenly light up and start taking pics... and then I'd have to tell them that I'm NOT Bill Ward from Blk Sbth - it was always kind of a moment where I wanted to tell the truth, but I also didn't want to deflate that person's sudden happiness!
It could be worse... what if I was named Steve Gadd? :D

Guz - I was hoping for a better story about the name!

I'm very good with the bill ward/billy ward thing. no biggie. In the early nineties, when I was strictly a studio drummer, it was more ...uh, itchy and scratchy. I'd be at a music store and somebody would suddenly light up and start taking pics... and then I'd have to tell them that I'm NOT Bill Ward from Blk Sbth - it was always kind of a moment where I wanted to tell the truth, but I also didn't want to deflate that person's sudden happiness!
It could be worse... what if I was named Steve Gadd? :D
Or Keith Moon...Wait, that'd be awesome. You could pretend to be a zombie and spook people :D

Hey Billy,

Recently picked up your "Voices in my Head" DVD, and I have to say, it is up there with my all time favorite instructional materials. Your approach to teaching/explanation is excellent. Thank you for sharing your unique approach to jazz drumming with the community. You have truly been an inspiration for me,... my playing definitely improved after watching Big Time, and I look forward to the advancements i hope to make from "Voices". I don't know if it would be possible, but I make it to the winter NAMM nearly every Jan.... Is a private lesson even feasible with your schedule around the time of NAMM? Would be honored to sit down for an hour with you sometime. Thanks again for the great wealth of info,.. on the DVD's and here in the forums.

Jay Alsman

Anyway, my real name is Angus (Gus for short) and there's already a bloke here called Gus so I switched the "S" for a "Z"... Aren't I clever? xP

there's quite a few of us Gus's here.

I saw a clip of you (billy) doing a groove with egg shakers in your shoe and using your hands on the skins. awesome! i tried doing it, but you make it look so much easier than it actually is.

I love the name, Gus. One of my closest friends has a son named August - they call him Gus.

thank you so much! I have to admit, I need feedback - because doing videos and writing (and basically caring) about others' progress is a bit of work. So thanks for lifting me up tonight, here, in a rainy New York City.

and Jay, while I missed this last NAMM show (and probably a whole ton of shows this year - from Musikmesse through all the festivals because of my wife's illness) i DO hope to attend NAMM 2010. If I am there, you can find me and we can at least try to do something together in the DW booth at the very least.

thanks again!

Speaking of drummers with same names I feel sorry for the drummer of Geezer Butler's band GZR. He's called Chad Smith. xP

Oh look, we're back to Black Sabbath...Sorry, I hink I'll leave you to discuss jazz and whatnot instead of interrupting AGAIN with my metal ramblings xP

Last edited:
Here are a couple of nice paradiddle based patterns from the great Billy Ward: http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/billywardparadiddleslow.html
BillyWardparadiddle.jpg

Hey Billy,

Recently picked up your "Voices in my Head" DVD, and I have to say, it is up there with my all time favorite instructional materials. Your approach to teaching/explanation is excellent. Thank you for sharing your unique approach to jazz drumming with the community. You have truly been an inspiration for me,... my playing definitely improved after watching Big Time, and I look forward to the advancements i hope to make from "Voices". I don't know if it would be possible, but I make it to the winter NAMM nearly every Jan.... Is a private lesson even feasible with your schedule around the time of NAMM? Would be honored to sit down for an hour with you sometime. Thanks again for the great wealth of info,.. on the DVD's and here in the forums.

Jay Alsman

Jay,

thanks - and please accept my apologies for not responding to your question. If we catch each other at a NAMM show, I would be happy to share what i can with you for free - though, it is kind of difficult at those palces to get way into it!
I've been away because of my wife's illness, but hopefully things will get better and I'll then be able to pay more attention to this fine forum.
Hi Bernhard!

-BW

Jay,

thanks - and please accept my apologies for not responding to your question. If we catch each other at a NAMM show, I would be happy to share what i can with you for free - though, it is kind of difficult at those palces to get way into it!
I've been away because of my wife's illness, but hopefully things will get better and I'll then be able to pay more attention to this fine forum.
Hi Bernhard!

-BW

Billy,

That is way too kind, and I thank you for your generosity. I would be forever grateful to sit down together for a few minutes and soak up any of your knowledge. My best to you and your family, and have a great holiday season...

Jay Alsman

Billy, you are such a champ with these doo-hickies!! You can make them groove like no other... this is great ( A little vulgar looking though.. )

Hey Billy

Just want to say I'm anxious about receiving Big Time soon! Boy I can feel it now ;)

I'm a huge Sucherman fan and in M&M he recommended very highly delving into Jazz also as a rock-drummer! ...I figured "Billy Ward" is clearly the way to go for that matter!!

I know Big Time isn't probably going to much into the Jazz thing (I assume that, that is) but I think it's just right to get to know you and your playing a little bit more...

And there's always "Voices", right?!

Thanks Billy!

About to find the Jazz in me...

Andreas
from Bavaria

Hey Billy...

I'm just as everyone else hit in the heart...and don't know what to say but to offer my condolences.

This isn't a perfect world. STAND TALL, Billy!

All the best from this part of the planet...
Andreas

Last edited:
Here's my review of Billy's Stickball Shaker:
http://www.drummercafe.com/reviews/gear/rhythm-tech-stickball-shaker.html
I now own three of these shakers!

Also, last month I was in the studio with Billy, documenting his session on video. There's over an hour's worth of footage, which is now a featured article at the Drummer Cafe: Billy Ward - In The Studio. I'm currently airing a large portion of the footage this week on Drummer Cafe TV, and dedicating it to the memory of his wife, Maura.

Love you Billy.

Back