Hand-hammering and re-creating cymbals

Hey whats up guys? I'm an intern at Sabiab and I write blogs about different cymbals on there site. Check it out and let me know what you think,

HH (Hand Hammered)

13 inch Bright Hats: In a brush setting where the cymbals can mask the attack of the brushes, these hats certainly do not muddy the sound. In fact, they help compliment the brushes very well if used correctly. As it says they are very bright, and loud. They have great brush definition when rubbing or hitting the bristles over the top hat. When the foot comes into play the cymbals offer a tight “chick” sound that is good for all musical settings.

21 inch Hot Ride: It was dry, but yet very bright. It cut through much more clearly than the other cymbals. It had the best response to brushes. It gave great definition and response to every note I played in different ride patterns, and sounded great when I rubbed the bristles over the top of the cymbal. The bell was also pronounced which surprised me because of its small size.

Heres a link to my social group: http://drummerworld.com/forums/group.php?groupid=51

Thanks!

Hey, I've got this K Constantinople Crash that I just hit with a hammer... it now has a huge crack in t. It sounds a lot like a trashcan lid. Is this good or bad?

Hey, I've got this K Constantinople Crash that I just hit with a hammer... it now has a huge crack in t. It sounds a lot like a trashcan lid. Is this good or bad?

It's most likely bad for any possible re-sale value there was, but good if you like the sound so; potentially a bit of both.

If it was me I wouldn't have experimented on such a high end cymbal.

I hate it here..but i also couldn't imagine myself anywhere else" (Spider Jerusalem)
smileynormal.ico

Greetings from Finland!

I've been lurking this forum a while now and finally decided to register myself. Seems like a great place to discuss and change thoughs. I read this thread from the beginning and it was shock that this great cymbalsmith has passed away. Gladly he gave us some keys to this mystic art of cymbal hammering.

I own a pile of "crappy"/not so good cymbals like Meinl Classics, Sabian XS20 set, Alchemy Pro A.R.T hats and also some re-cutted Sabian/Zildjian/Stagg cymbals. First I was selling them away, but reading this thread made me think about it twice. Why not try to re-create something from these?

So, yesterday i bought ball been hammer and started to hammer Meinl Classics 10" splash to something new. I used a piece of rail as an anvil (looking for better one for this purpose). I hammered cymbal for couple of hours and now it's more like a bell shaped. Actually it looks like Alien puke, but I'll still give it a test drive tomorrow. Besides I've never been to looks when it comes to cymbals. I'm even thinking to modify my drumset to look like it's taken straight from the Mad Max. Maybe I'll upload some pictures when I'll proceed.

Anybody know of a simple hammering pattern i can use to get a faster decay out of a terribly ringy china?

rather than hammering, you can drill holes in it, much like the Sabian Holy China. I've done this and it worked, just drilled 1/2 inch holes at random, all over the section between the bell and the flange.

I only just found out, I'll genuinely miss him posting and sending his messages about hammering. I guess my ZXTs will stay as ZXTs.

RIP

What better way to honour his memory than to start working those cymbals yourself?

RIP Johan

I recommend that you work on your typing, punctuation and spelling. And one thing worth noting: in this case it is 'complement', not 'compliment'. The former means to enhance or agree with, the latter is when you say something nice to someone: 'That's a great cymbal you've got.' Good luck!

Hey whats up guys? I'm an intern at Sabiab and I write blogs about different cymbals on there site. Check it out and let me know what you think,

HH (Hand Hammered)

13 inch Bright Hats: In a brush setting where the cymbals can mask the attack of the brushes, these hats certainly do not muddy the sound. In fact, they help compliment the brushes very well if used correctly. As it says they are very bright, and loud. They have great brush definition when rubbing or hitting the bristles over the top hat. When the foot comes into play the cymbals offer a tight “chick” sound that is good for all musical settings.

21 inch Hot Ride: It was dry, but yet very bright. It cut through much more clearly than the other cymbals. It had the best response to brushes. It gave great definition and response to every note I played in different ride patterns, and sounded great when I rubbed the bristles over the top of the cymbal. The bell was also pronounced which surprised me because of its small size.

Heres a link to my social group: http://drummerworld.com/forums/group.php?groupid=51

Thanks!

Wow impressive that you did that ...
I started reading this thread yesterday, all of it.

It is inspiring to think of crafting cymbals.

I have some old scimitars, and an old cracked zildjian bottom I might lathe and create something new

I have a Dream 22" ride and it is all wash and no ping. Is it hammering or lathing that would produce more ping?

Or would cutting it down in dia help?

I just "found" this thread and read it from beginning to end. RIP Johan.

same here. a lot of info here. I am inspired to do some mods to a crash doom i've got; give it some trashy-er character with some well placed hammer strikes, after some practice on some cheapies of course.

Back