Head Question(s)

brushayss

Hi I was just wondering if I could get some thoughts on a selection of heads I am thinking of getting. Normally I play fibreskins or coated G1s over clear G1s as I play mainly jazz. But I have my performance exam coming up and I need to pick heads that will work for the varied pieces.

My Program
Crazy Army (Steve Gadd)
Escape from Oakland (Garibaldi funk playalong)
Equinox (Playalong from Billy Harts book ‘Jazz Drumming’)
Satch & Diz (Up tempo swing from John Riley’s book ‘Art of Bop Drumming’)
Embraceable You (Brush playalong from Billy Harts book ‘Jazz Drumming’)

So for Crazy Army and the Garibaldi piece I want that big, fat, thud that is the Gadd/Garibaldi sound, where as for the other pieces I would want a higher more open tuning, so I need to make some good decisions here.
I should also mention that I have always had trouble tuning the floor tom. It is 16x16 and a basswood shell, but I have always had trouble with getting a nice solid, clear tone. It ends up sounding ‘poxy’ and has overtones.

I was thinking…
22x16 Kick – EMAD over EMAD resonant
12x10 Tom – Coated G1 or Coated EC1 over clear G1
16x16 Floor Tom - Coated EC2 over clear G1
14x5.5 Snare – Coated G1 over Hazy 200

Other thoughts where, for the kick a coated EMAD, but im leaning towards the clear. Also with the EMADs can you take both the dampening rings out and get a fairly open sound?
I was also considering a hydraulic for the floor tom batter but I think it would be too dead for the jazz tunes although I just want to control the floor tom; (I’m not going for a high, open jazz tuning for the jazz tunes clearly, but the above selection would still work quite ok..)
I've also thought about the EC-Reso, but in Bob Gatzen’s video he says it gets rid of overtones and increases resonance, and that for shorter sustain one would want a thinner head, but on the EVAN’s site it shows that a thinner head (G1) on the reso gives a more open sound, so what’s going on there?

So what do you think? Any suggestions and advice appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
you really should give the Remo Suede as snare head a try, very nice for playing jazz. I use a maple snare with it, sometimes a bronze snare.

No heads are suitable for all styles, so you are asking the impossible. But the majority of what you're playing would sound great on single-ply coateds over single-ply clears. They'll do everything on your list except the "big fat thud." Maybe throw some studio rings on the toms for that one: instant pinstripe.

No heads are suitable for all styles, so you are asking the impossible. But the majority of what you're playing would sound great on single-ply coateds over single-ply clears. They'll do everything on your list except the "big fat thud." Maybe throw some studio rings on the toms for that one: instant pinstripe.

Thats what i was thinking for the 12" tom, but i was also wondering how much difference would the coated EC1 have compared to a coated G1?
But with the floor tom, a coated G1 over a clear G1 doesn't really work as it's a big drum made from basswood, so i need something to cut out the overtones, (not an extreme cardboard box though) while still getting a nice warm tone, for the jazz pieces. So as it's a bigger drum i was thinking a 2 ply head, coated for warmth and a little less attack than a clear, and to control the overtones the edge control rings. The coated EC2? And i am still unsure of what would go on the reso? Any more suggestions please tell me.
And with the EMAD can you take both the dampening rings off for a single ply clear head?
and for the other question.
I've also thought about the EC-Reso, but in Bob Gatzen’s video he says it gets rid of overtones and increases resonance, and that for shorter sustain one would want a thinner head, but on the EVAN’s site it shows that a thinner head (G1) on the reso gives a more open sound, so what’s going on there?

Thats what i was thinking for the 12" tom, but i was also wondering how much difference would the coated EC1 have compared to a coated G1?
But with the floor tom, a coated G1 over a clear G1 doesn't really work as it's a big drum made from basswood, so i need something to cut out the overtones, (not an extreme cardboard box though) while still getting a nice warm tone, for the jazz pieces. So as it's a bigger drum i was thinking a 2 ply head, coated for warmth and a little less attack than a clear, and to control the overtones the edge control rings. The coated EC2? And i am still unsure of what would go on the reso? Any more suggestions please tell me.
And with the EMAD can you take both the dampening rings off for a single ply clear head?
and for the other question.

You know, basswood is just another hardwood, a little bit softer than birch and maple, but still . . . it isn't that different. I don't see why you can't get a good sound out of it with single-ply heads. I've done so myself. If it's too ringy put some moongel or a studio ring on it.

The EC1 is miles away from a G1, really radically different. I wouldn't be mix-and-matching those two. I use clear EC1s, they are the warmest heads on earth and sustain for days. They wouldn't be my first choice for jazz and funk, though.

Just as a personal preference, I truly dislike the frosty-type Evans "coating," I prefer clears or a real coating.

If you're really determined to use different heads on the different drums, I'd go for coated ambs or coated G1s over clear ambs or clear G1s on everything except the floor tom, use a coated G2 there. For the Gadd track throw studio rings over everything.

Many jazz and funk players use the coated single-ply over clear single-ply combination, it's as standard as you can get and it's also the most-recorded combination for rock despite what guys might use live or happen to endorse.

Finally, pay no attention to manufacturer's writeups, the deal is the thinner the reso the shorter the sustain. It's simple physics: a head with less mass tends to stop vibrating sooner than a head with more mass. And if you saw that video, you'll know that the EC-reso will seriously darken up the sound. Again, not what I'd pick for jazz and funk.

Turns out they don't have a 16" Coated EC2 in stock, but they do have a coated EC1. The EC2 is two layers of 7mil, whereas the EC1 is one 14mil layer, is there much of a difference? Will the coated EC1 still be fine?

I used to use coated EC1s on my pearl forums, and they sounded pretty good.
Wish I would have gone with the clears though.

As for your 16 tom, you say you have a hard time tuning it?
Have you checked the shell for any problems that might be preventing you from getting the best out of it, ie bearing edges, making sure everything is in round?

Turns out they don't have a 16" Coated EC2 in stock, but they do have a coated EC1. The EC2 is two layers of 7mil, whereas the EC1 is one 14mil layer, is there much of a difference? Will the coated EC1 still be fine?

There's a lot of difference. My suggestions are above. If you are determined to put different heads on all your toms, have fun.

As for your 16 tom, you say you have a hard time tuning it?
Have you checked the shell for any problems that might be preventing you from getting the best out of it, ie bearing edges, making sure everything is in round?

To which I would add, be sure whatever heads you put on it go on evenly, not pulled to one side.

Back