Time for new stands....

bojangleman

Platinum Member
its about time i get some new cymbal stands....the $34 PDP's arent cutting it anymore..haha...

they were great for the money tho!

so, what do you all recommend?

i need them to be boom/straight (convertable), heavy duty, and good quality...
im not going to be brand freindly, so its whatever...and, im not worried about money on this one, i want quality.
im going to be tearing them down and setting back up alot...and 1 will support a rack tom and cymbals..

so, have at it..ha

thanks!

Alex

i use pearl sorry I forget the series but you can never go wrong with pearl, but that my opinion.

Phil..

from my experience, it really doesnt matter what brand or such that you get...its moreso just how much you spend. Gibraltar is always good, but i think that in the end it just ends up to you get what you pay for. I bought 2 50$ stands...and they are failing me. Id say 75 dollars per stand would get you some good stuff.

Pearl BC2000 or DW9700, two of the best in my opinion.

I bought 2 50$ stands...and they are failing me. Id say 75 dollars per stand would get you some good stuff.

thats really true becuase i bought a pearl stand for 70$ or something like that and its lasted a year so far, and looks like it has a while still to go with out breaking on me..

Phil..

I got some 7700 DW single braced stands and they are great stands.

http://dwdrums.com/hardware/7000Series.htm

I bought the straight/boom model.

The memory locks are great, the tilter is the standard DW gearless tilter, the stand legs work smoothly...

I got 3 of them for around $70 (give or take) each.

It can go very high without any fear of tipping, and it can handle 21 & 22" crash cymbals (played hard).

I have a set of DW heavy hardware, Ludwig, and Gibraltar Break tilter 9600 stands....all great gear, but I just got sick of hauling the heavier stuff around.

I liked the DW single braced stuff so much I bought the DW 5500TL lighter weight hat stand too.

http://dwdrums.com/hardware/5500TL.htm

The hat stand is very nice too, but I did change it over to the Delta hinge.

I've had them for about 2 months now, and have done a few set-up/tear-downs in that time, & I know this stuff will be very road worthy and will work great for years--just like the heavy stuff.

so are the DW stands worth the money?

like the 9700 series, they are like $130 each..

Alex

Depends how much you gig, if you are going to be taking your stands up and down repeatedly then I'd say yes, the small "unimportant" features start adding up. The amount of memory locks on the 9700 is outstanding, it makes constant set up of the stands so easy.

However it depends on how much you will be moving them.. I'd say that any of these stands (or more expensive ones) would be great for general usage:

• Tama HC73BWM
  • Pearl BC800W
  • DW 5700
Like KarlCrafton said the mid-range DW boom stands (and Pearl, Tama etc) are good, and will support quite a good deal of weight.

I myself have a 22" Z Custom Power Ride tilted in on a BC800W, the cymbal is very heavy, but even with me blasting away the stand never moves or slips.

I'd say anything from $80-90 is going to be quality.

The difference between the lighter double braced DW 9700L and the single braced 7700 is just the legs too.

The tubing is the same.

It's all basically just one tube size smaller than the heavy stuff.

So, the middle tube on the heavy stand is the base for the lighter stand at 1".

It goes 1"- 3/4"- 5/8" (5/8 to accommodate the 1/2 boom).

The top tube on the straight stand (both versions) is 1/2".

The single braced 7700 is VERY sturdy, even with large cymbals higher up.

It's not going anywhere, even if you play hard.

The double braced legs only add a small amount of weight, so if someone liked the look better, or just for piece of mind, the smaller tubing on the d braced stuff still makes it lighter.

But, like I said, the single braced stuff isn't going to go anywhere, unless you are abusing 22" or 24" cymbals at full height, then they might move a bit.

i need them to be boom/straight (convertable), heavy duty, and good quality...
im not going to be brand freindly, so its whatever...and, im not worried about money on this one, i want quality.
im going to be tearing them down and setting back up alot...and 1 will support a rack tom and cymbals..

Based on that info, your best bet is Yamaha's 9-series stands. They're freakin' bullet-proof!! I have them all around my BCA and one stand supports 14" and 16" toms, AND a 17" Effeks Crash (elevated pretty high and using the boom). It doesn't budge at all. Just awesome!!
...and yes, they are fully convertable from straight to boom.

Back