Re: What kind of cymbol polish do you prefer?

i just tried this a few weeks ago.... take a lemon, cut it in half, and then squeeze it and rub it around the cymbal.
then take a damp cloth and wipe the cymbal properly.... worked really well, didn't take my logos off.....
make sure to wipe the cymbal properly though....

Hi Freddie :

I just to clean my cymbals whit your formula based in lemon juice but I added bicarbonate of soda .... so you have to clean it up whit a piece of towel always in circles around the cymbal after that you have to rinse whit water or wash it whit soap .
I don´t recommend do it very offten .
Yes I know it is a weird formula ¡ ¡ ¡ ¡

I would like to preface what I am going to say about Cymbal cleaning by saying that I recondition Vintage, and some not so Vintage Drums & Outfits, 6-8 hours a day, 7 days a week and have a close relative that has owned their own cleaning business for over 25 years. Based on our experience in cleaning & polishing neither of us will use anything that contains abrasives (no matter how fine,) ammonia or acids on any metals that someone plans on having around awhile. This is due to the fact that acids & ammonia can get down into the microscopic pores of the metal and break down the alloys over time so all may appear to be fine but as time goes by bad things could start to happen. Abrasives, well, they speak for themselves.
The key phrase above is “on any metals that someone plans on having around awhile” and is what we base our “philosophy” on, longevity………………..

Cymbals, being the mysterious instruments that they are, will change character when exposed to dirt & dust, which usually gives them a mellower tone, as these build up over time they can give you the sound that you're looking for even though the Cymbal didn't "sound right" when you first added it to your Kit. The same can be said of cleaning, but here a person has to very careful. Many polishes will round off the tonal ridges and, or, alter the tonal grooves thus changing the Cymbal's tonal character, which is nothing more than how the ridges & grooves allow the vibrations to move through the metal of the Cymbal. This change is permanent I might add...............

Because of this I would urge caution when contemplating using anything other than warm soap & water or something along the lines of Groove Juice, which you always have to thoroughly rinse off after use. Many a fine Cymbal has been altered by someone that just had to get rid of the tarnish and those unsightly fingerprints. Don't get me wrong and think that I am saying that if you use a polish on a Cymbal that you will ruin it, you could in fact, based on your preference, actually improve the sound. If this is the case always keep in mind that subsequent polishing may take it beyond that "sweet sound" that you love so much..............

Always keep in mind when polishing that most, if not all, of the "black crud" showing up on your rag is actually part of the Cymbal so you are removing metal and more than likely changing how the tonal grooves & ridges allow the vibrations to work their way through the Cymbal..................

Bottom line, if you must clean, or polish, your Cymbals be very careful as you could be making changes that can't be undone by hitting the "back button," and once the metal has been removed from your Cymbal {investment,} it's gone forever..............

LVDC

Very sobering. thank you! DPS

BAR KEEPERS HELPER RULES for ease of use and getting off grime. Very little elbow grease BUT you must rinse very very well and then use a cymbal protectant or you might get a hazy film

so lemons are a good way to clean cymbals, does it get fingerprints off?

do you have to rinse it under water once finished cleaning?

just a few quick questions...

Last edited:
I use Sabian Cymbal Cleaner

i'm not very happy with it.

It maybe make the dirt go away but it do it with sabian logo too! :(

i know i tryed sabian cymbol cleaner and it done the same thing they should of called it sabian cymbol logo remover

now most drummers cringe at the word brasso well i dont i use it on all my cymbals and they look like mirrors were told "it will take of the protective layer and cause them to crack" what a load of balls as long as u use it lightly over ur logo to insurre they dont fade away u shold have the best looking cymbals on stage =]

Re: What kind of cymbol polish do you prefer?

i just tried this a few weeks ago.... take a lemon, cut it in half, and then squeeze it and rub it around the cymbal.
then take a damp cloth and wipe the cymbal properly.... worked really well, didn't take my logos off.....
make sure to wipe the cymbal properly though....

this might be a good healthy and enviromental friendly way to do it =)

when i cleaned my cymbals for the first time a long time ago, i used the groove juice and when i was cleaning my splash i forgot to rinse it out completly and half and hour later my splash was completly burned! so that freaked me out and i dont use that one anymore. i was using the zildjian polish one but i dont feel like that cleans it that well. It doesnt really get rid of the finger prints and leaves your cymbals lookin a little bluish and dark. Im still trying to find a good cymbal cleaner. Sprays or liquids are ussually better than polish

After reading through this thread I tried the lemons, didn't work so tried Groove Juice. It didn't take off logos. Take a look at some results. http://www.allabouticecream.com/cymbals/cymbals.htm

40 years of playing, still going strong.

Oooh... Those came out real nice. Is Groove Juice an abrasive? I'd like to give it a try. I had used a polish on one crash and it worked great, but reading one of the above posts has me not wanting to use an abrasive polish on a regular basis.

After reading through this thread I tried the lemons, didn't work so tried Groove Juice. It didn't take off logos. Take a look at some results. http://www.allabouticecream.com/cymbals/cymbals.htm

40 years of playing, still going strong.

Id be heart broken if I lost all that lovely patina - but if thats what you wanted the its fine.

What cymbals are they?

They look like old A Zildjians to me

BAR KEEPERS HELPER RULES for ease of use and getting off grime. Very little elbow grease BUT you must rinse very very well and then use a cymbal protectant or you might get a hazy film

It's called Bar Keepers Friend and it works like a charm. It's cheap and it will clean the dirtiest of cymbals. I know a lot of folks don't like to clean theirs, but I liked my cymbals to look good with our light show. BKF is a bit harsh, so I wouldn't use it on a prized cymbal, but if you're smacking em' everynight in front of a crowd, shiney cymbals will make the whole stage look better.

I used to clean my cymbals a lot, I accidently cleaned my ancient Turkish ride when I was young and almost cleaned away the signature on the underside of the bell. Only in recent years have I realised what I nearly did! I think old cymbals sound much better than new, I try and get extra dust on mine now.

Tom

Bar keepers friend is the best i've found my dad is also a drummer and he turned me on too it at a very young age(6) and i'm 37 now so I been using it for 31 yrs.i've used all the cymbal companies cleaners(zildjian,paiste,sabian,etc.)and they just don't. hold up.any kind of cleaner that has petrolium in it will leave a film on your cymbals brasso especially.like in other posts rince the cymbals very well and wipe them off using a old t-shirt or any lint-free cloth.

Keep Swatting Clean Cymbals LOL,
Bonzolead

I just found out "bar keepers friend" comes in a liquid I got to get some and see how it works Hopefully no powder residue and at a price of just over $3.00 I just got to try it.I've used this stuff for years and there's nothing better for cleaning cymbals the only thing is the powder residue if you don't. rinse them good enough but now that it's. in a liquid Oh happy day.

Keep Swatting Clean Cymbals,
Bonzolead

I've used Wright's Copper Cream for well over 20 years, and it's been the best at keeping my cymbals clean with very little effort--and it's quick too.
I've tried a bunch of other stuff too, but Wright's works the best for me.

I have Zildjian & Sabian (and 1 Paiste 22" Formula 602) cymbals.
In 20 years, it's only taken 1 top Sabian logo off on a new 20" Vault crash...the rest of the logos on that cymbal were fine. Sabian is using a new ink, so they now recommend not going over the logos at all if you want to keep them.

I've gotten some pretty old used & crusty cymbals to look great again with Wright's.

I use turtle wax on mine

I've used Wright's Copper Cream for well over 20 years, and it's been the best at keeping my cymbals clean with very little effort--and it's quick too.
I've tried a bunch of other stuff too, but Wright's works the best for me.

I have Zildjian & Sabian (and 1 Paiste 22" Formula 602) cymbals.
In 20 years, it's only taken 1 top Sabian logo off on a new 20" Vault crash...the rest of the logos on that cymbal were fine. Sabian is using a new ink, so they now recommend not going over the logos at all if you want to keep them.

I've gotten some pretty old used & crusty cymbals to look great again with Wright's.

I use turtle wax on my zildjian planet z cymbal pack it works really well, it completely takes away finger prints, rust, and dirt from any kind of cymbal and it doesn't rip off the logo or nothing like that. I makes it shinier to.

Back