Sound proofing; new construction

I’m starting the process of building a new home. My concept is to have an upstairs room with piano and acoustic drums. I would appreciate suggestions as to how best sound proof the room as well as design parameters and details.

That's a pretty tall order.
Soundproofing is difficult and expensive enough as it is. Achieving it upstairs makes it even more challenging, especially for percussion instruments.
Sound mitigation might be a more realistic expectation, depending on your budget.

Since you're just starting the process of building a home, was the architect (or whoever drew the plans for your house) aware of your plans for a music room? If not, they should be, because there are things that can and should be done now, rather than later.

That's a pretty tall order.
Soundproofing is difficult and expensive enough as it is. Achieving it upstairs makes it even more challenging, especially for percussion instruments.
Sound mitigation might be a more realistic expectation, depending on your budget.

Since you're just starting the process of building a home, was the architect (or whoever drew the plans for your house) aware of your plans for a music room? If not, they should be, because there are things that can and should be done now, rather than later.
Perhaps I should have said mitigation. I haven’t dealt with an architect yet. Meeting next week.

Perhaps I should have said mitigation. I haven’t dealt with an architect yet. Meeting next week.
They should be able to help you out regarding building materials and techniques for that very purpose, but not all architects are the same and many haven't had to deal with sound mitigation to that extent. Making a nursery quieter is far different than trying to contain a set of drums, so their experience/suggestions may be limited to things like simply using acoustic drywall or just putting insulation in the interior walls. While using acoustic drywall IS a good thing, if it's limited to just that, you're very likely to be disappointed.
In the meantime, I would suggest continuing as you are, researching it yourself a bit further, so you know what to expect. My experience is limited to a "room inside a room" type of build with good results, but that was on a concrete slab. Yours is a different beast altogether.

Once you have a plan and begin construction, it would be beneficial to the forum if you were to document the process so that we all can learn from it, if you're willing. From blueprints to finished room would be a great thread to follow over the course of construction.

Congrats on the new house, and good luck with the build.

They should be able to help you out regarding building materials and techniques for that very purpose, but not all architects are the same and many haven't had to deal with sound mitigation to that extent. Making a nursery quieter is far different than trying to contain a set of drums, so their experience/suggestions may be limited to things like simply using acoustic drywall or just putting insulation in the interior walls. While using acoustic drywall IS a good thing, if it's limited to just that, you're very likely to be disappointed.
In the meantime, I would suggest continuing as you are, researching it yourself a bit further, so you know what to expect. My experience is limited to a "room inside a room" type of build with good results, but that was on a concrete slab. Yours is a different beast altogether.

Once you have a plan and begin construction, it would be beneficial to the forum if you were to document the process so that we all can learn from it, if you're willing. From blueprints to finished room would be a great thread to follow over the course of construction.

Congrats on the new house, and good luck with the build.
Thanks. Yes, I will do that.

I’m starting the process of building a new home. My concept is to have an upstairs room with piano and acoustic drums. I would appreciate suggestions as to how best sound proof the room as well as design parameters and details.
Coles Notes version:
Don't build it on the second floor. Build it in the basement. Essentially, it will be a room within a room.

1 - You want to build a "quiet room"; no sound leaks in, no sound leaks out. e.g., door(s) and windows need to be tightly sealed.

2- Room acoustics and treatments are a whole other book, after the room itself is acoustically constructed.

There is a wealth of info available online for both subjects.

Last edited:
There is a forum dedicated to this very topic. I don’t recall what/ where it is, but I read through many posts there in the past.

You should seek it out. Some very high level info there. As I recall there are a number of things you can do which seem logical, but will in fact detract from the desired results. Now is the time to find out.

I may have that site bookmarked on a different computer. If so, and If I remember, I’ll post a link tomorrow.

Like the previous poster said, if you want real soundproofing it costs. How serious are you and how much isolation do you need? The following information based on my previous experience will make a room sound-resistant, not exactly soundproof, but will give you an idea of how much goes into it:
  • Build a room within a room downstairs with Golden Ratio type proportions that is separated by an air space, not connected and completely isolated from the rest of the house (except the foundation). The studs for the room should 24" on the center (rather than 16") to reduce vibration.
  • Install a separate 20 amp electrical circuit for instruments/Electronics/sound with a generous amount of outlets on every wall
  • Wire the room for internet with a least one CAT5 connector on every wall.
  • Install outlets on on your regular household circuit on the ceiling/walls for studio lights, and then install electrical boxes for light fixtures, smoke alarms and ceiling fans as needed, making sure they are a different color than your sound wiring outlets
  • The walls should be two layers of 5/8" drywall with Green Glue between them to nix vibration.
  • Use two 36" drywall filled doors for access.
  • Use multi-pane windows designed for homes that are located near airports
  • For the ceiling, attached 3/4" plywood to the joists, then Green Glue with another layer of 5/8" drywall on that.
  • Install a Mini-Split for your HVAC.
  • Install a smoke detector with a strobe light that is at least connected to one other smoke detector outside the room
  • Vinyl plank flooring
  • Build a drum riser with Styrofoam to isolate vibrations from the floor. Build smaller risers for bass amps
Lastly, make sure each phase on the construction process is inspected by the city.

Don't build it on an "upstairs" floor/room. You're just making isolation much more challenging.

Some good info here.

The bass drum and low toms are going to be the beast due to sympathetic vibrations. Essentially, the house vibrates along with the drum. The sound waves for those low frequencies are extremely long and they just blow past conventional treatments like extra drywall and green glue. Those treatments work fine for speaking and the like but for impact you need more.

The only real way to handle those low pitch waves is to decouple or disconnect the room from the rest of the house. This can get expensive very qucikly and is almost impossible to do on a second floor.

You are in a unique position in that you are building the home now. I would suggest not committing to anything until you've spoken to at least one architect with experience in this area. Hopefully the one you're seeing soon has a track record with this stuff.

Good luck!

As others have posted about sound waves and construction, the logistics of the piano is what grabbed my attention. What size, how often will it be moved/in and out?

Here's an excellent reference book I'd recommend you read. It goes over the basics, but then gets deep into the details. You may find it useful in your situation.

Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
Like the previous poster said, if you want real soundproofing it costs. How serious are you and how much isolation do you need? The following information based on my previous experience will make a room sound-resistant, not exactly soundproof, but will give you an idea of how much goes into it:
  • Build a room within a room downstairs with Golden Ratio type proportions that is separated by an air space, not connected and completely isolated from the rest of the house (except the foundation). The studs for the room should 24" on the center (rather than 16") to reduce vibration.
  • Install a separate 20 amp electrical circuit for instruments/Electronics/sound with a generous amount of outlets on every wall
  • Wire the room for internet with a least one CAT5 connector on every wall.
  • Install outlets on on your regular household circuit on the ceiling/walls for studio lights, and then install electrical boxes for light fixtures, smoke alarms and ceiling fans as needed, making sure they are a different color than your sound wiring outlets
  • The walls should be two layers of 5/8" drywall with Green Glue between them to nix vibration.
  • Use two 36" drywall filled doors for access.
  • Use multi-pane windows designed for homes that are located near airports
  • For the ceiling, attached 3/4" plywood to the joists, then Green Glue with another layer of 5/8" drywall on that.
  • Install a Mini-Split for your HVAC.
  • Install a smoke detector with a strobe light that is at least connected to one other smoke detector outside the room
  • Vinyl plank flooring
  • Build a drum riser with Styrofoam to isolate vibrations from the floor. Build smaller risers for bass amps
Lastly, make sure each phase on the construction process is inspected by the city.
Thanks for all the great detailed information. I don’t think a basement is viable as I am in a beach area. I guess I should put the room on the first floor.

As others have posted about sound waves and construction, the logistics of the piano is what grabbed my attention. What size, how often will it be moved/in and out?

Here's an excellent reference book I'd recommend you read. It goes over the basics, but then gets deep into the details. You may find it useful in your situation.

Let us know how it goes!
Piano will not move. It is a Schimmel upright. I’ll check out the book. Lots of good information to discuss with the architect.

There is a forum dedicated to this very topic. I don’t recall what/ where it is, but I read through many posts there in the past.

You should seek it out. Some very high level info there. As I recall there are a number of things you can do which seem logical, but will in fact detract from the desired results. Now is the time to find out.

I may have that site bookmarked on a different computer. If so, and If I remember, I’ll post a link tomorrow.
I’ll try to find that forum.

Back