New Drum Transcription & Performance: Home at Last, Steely Dan

Trinity grades do only go up to 8 in the UK, the G8 standard is pretty high, as this Sting track suggests.

For my grade 8 I have to pick one of the following three choices for a mandatory 'technical focus' evaluation.

1. Sting, Seven Days
2. Stanley Clarke, Silly Putty
3. Rush, Spirit of Radio

They are all hard, but I think they are in order of difficulty here. Personally, at the moment, after 15 minutes of trying, I can't quite wrap my head around the strangeness of those Hi-Hat accents, in 4/4 time, over a bar of 5/4 with the kick and snare. Just doesn't feel right somehow.

Trinity grades do only go up to 8 in the UK, the G8 standard is pretty high, as this Sting track suggests.

For my grade 8 I have to pick one of the following three choices for a mandatory 'technical focus' evaluation.

1. Sting, Seven Days
2. Stanley Clarke, Silly Putty
3. Rush, Spirit of Radio

They are all hard, but I think they are in order of difficulty here. Personally, at the moment, after 15 minutes of trying, I can't quite wrap my head around the strangeness of those Hi-Hat accents, in 4/4 time, over a bar of 5/4 with the kick and snare. Just doesn't feel right somehow.
It is indeed a tough nut to crack, I would be lying if I said I didn't have to practice for it properly. :)

Dear Community,

every now and then I get caught up and have to transcribe a song that has been haunting me for a long time. This time it was "Jump" by Van Halen. I was especially interested in the drum part in the guitar solo, which at least for me doesn't follow any logic at first hearing, but it makes more than sense when you deal with the song. But not only here, the whole song Alex Van Halen shows with many little things his feeling for the music. All in all a great drum composition!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dear Community,

every now and then I get caught up and have to transcribe a song that has been haunting me for a long time. This time it was "Jump" by Van Halen. I was especially interested in the drum part in the guitar solo, which at least for me doesn't follow any logic at first hearing, but it makes more than sense when you deal with the song. But not only here, the whole song Alex Van Halen shows with many little things his feeling for the music. All in all a great drum composition!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
More Moeller on the hihat (think quarter note pulse), less resonant snare sound, and I'm good. Otherwise great playing!

@rhumbagirl: Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it and thank you for taking your time for watching my video!!! This is not self-evident. Let's feel free to enter into a discussion. :)
More Moeller on the hihat (think quarter note pulse)
I do not think that the Moeler technique is mandatory here. A quarter pulse on the hi-hat is not really noticeable, it sounds more like all the eighth notes have a rather equal dynamic. That's why I refrain from the corresponding accent.
less resonant snare sound
I honestly didn't even try to copy Alex Van Halen's terrific snare drum sound, I would have failed miserably either way. I know that there would still be so much to do! I still have so much to learn about mixing. A whole new world for me!

I do not think that the Moeler technique is mandatory here. A quarter pulse on the hi-hat is not really noticeable, it sounds more like all the eighth notes have a rather equal dynamic. That's why I refrain from the corresponding accent.
I think it - Moeller technique - has to do more with the way the HH 8ths "feel" than whether the quarter note is heard more.

At least in this context.

Hm, an interesting aspect.
Moeller technique - has to do more with the way the HH 8ths "feel"
Just so I understand, you mean that the Moeller technique makes the eighth notes more expressive?

Please take a look at my performance of "Seven Days", it's 16th notes, but is that what you mean?

Last edited:
Hm, an interesting aspect.

Just so I understand, you mean that the Moeller technique makes the eighth notes more expressive?

Please take a look at my performance of "Seven Days", it's 16th notes, but is that what you mean?

That's Moeller, but it's applied to 16ths - ie three unaccented notes bounded by accented quarters. That involves more action in the hand and fingers than simple quarters and eighths.

After re-watching the video, it appears you're using Moeller, but it doesn't feel as "expressive" as say a more pronounced Moeller - less stick height on the unaccented notes.

@rhumbagirl: Well, I think I already know what the Moeller technique is and how to use it. As I mentioned before - and I'm right there with @Juniper - I don't see any need to overuse and focus on this technique here in "Jump" because of the rather evenly played eighth notes.

Let's open Pandora's box. :) Moeller is only one technique among many - admittedly an important one and one that you should be able to do - but you should not put technique above expression. Of course you need a solid technique to be able to express yourself, but as I said, Moeller is just one among many.

Dear Community,

my latest YouTube video is a transcription of "The Unforgiven" by Metallica.

The black album by Metallica from 1991 was a spark for me as a 14 year old at the time. Inspired by the video of "Nothing Else Matters" with the big drum kit of Lars Ulrich, I decided at that time, I must learn to play drums. I listened to this album up and down. Through the desire of one of my students to want to play The Unforgiven, this transcription with the drum cover came about. The Unforgiven was the third single from Metallica's fifth album, which is officially called "Metallica". However, since the album is almost entirely in black, it is more commonly known as the "Black Album".

Please feel free to subscribe to my channel for more free drum content and drum videos.

This comment on my performance of the song "Seven Days" by Sting made my day:

"Usually these online covers are a replica of the sample, but lack the feel and touch of the original. Thankfully, I can say that this video and the drummer featured in it are the exception. I really enjoyed watching and listening to the whole video! The quality of this drummer's musicianship is brilliant."

Many thanks to Brian McGuire, wherever you are!!!

Back