The Black Beauty on records

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
If anyone knows for sure that a particular song was recorded with a BB on the released track...could we get a list?

I'm not sure that there's a wood snare that is as ubiquitous as the BB for a list of wood snares

A list for the Copperphonic would be cool.

A Supra list would be cool

A Tama Bell Brass list would be cool

The diameter and the depth...if you know them....include that too.

So if you know of recordings where any of the above snares are featured, or even if it's a completely different snare...as long as you know for absolute sure that the snare you are posting about is the snare used in your link...please post a link if you want to play. Or not. Your call. Comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Your pal,
Larry

Last edited:
I'm not sure that there's a wood snare that is as ubiquitous as the BB
what were all the Beatles records up to about 66-68

Inner Mounting Flame I think Billy Cobham used a 20s Black Beauty
in-studio picture on back cover- may have been something Jo Jones gave him/ got from..Ippolito etc
All the earliest Krupa, Rich, Bellson sides were wood Rogers, Slingerland..
early Elvin Tony and Max probably split 50/50 the brass or wood 5. Art lean 75/25 the wood.

Hal Blaine's career does not negate any of this.

Last edited:
what were all the Beatles records up to about 66-68
Good point. You could include the jazz fest. You can include any snare. I just can't think of an iconic wood snare drum like the metal ones. As long as you know for sure which tracks Ringo used the JF on, yea, list it here.

edit see I chattered on

Who is the Billy you refer to? Gladstone?

I don't know enough to play this game. But I'd like to know just the same.

Reactions: jda
(Cobham)
Earl Palmer was known to say "you can make a metal snare sound like a wood but not the other way around"
I'm beginning to believe the interviewer got that/ quote backwards ; ) it's possible.
there's also pictures of "hit maker" Bernard Purdie in late 60s studio showing the snare drum; can't recall atm

One snare sound that I flipped over was on Steve Perry's Street talk album. Especially the tune Oh Sherry in which Larrie Londin stated on a DVD that a 5x14 70s unetched black beauty was used. The majority of the album was that drum which Steve loved and requested.

. As long as you know for sure which tracks Ringo used the JF on, yea, list it here.
It's a little too- granular to know what people do or actually did (lol behind closed doors.. : )
Here's one guy's chart-->

"Getty- American drummer Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie during a recording session with soul singer Carla Thomas in New York City, USA, 18th July 1968."

bernard-purdie.jpg

Last edited:
If anyone knows for sure that a particular song was recorded with a BB on the released track...could we get a list?

I'm not sure that there's a wood snare that is as ubiquitous as the BB for a list of wood snares

A list for the Copperphonic would be cool.

A Supra list would be cool

A Tama Bell Brass list would be cool

The diameter and the depth...if you know them....include that too.

So if you know of recordings where any of the above snares are featured, or even if it's a completely different snare...as long as you know for absolute sure that the snare you are posting about is the snare used in your link...please post a link if you want to play. Or not. Your call. Comments appreciated.

Thanks,
Your pal,
Larry
I think the Acrolite would be the most frequently recorded. And Hal Blaine’s use of it is a big reason why.

Hal Blaine used an acrolite? thought it was a 400
I saw a photo once, so I assumed it was his go-to snare. Plus, when I play an acrolite snare (or equivalent) the sound takes me back to his hits in the 1960s. Maybe I need another cup of coffee and more of that cheese cake…

Marillion Drummer Ian Mosley plays on a 14x6,5 Back Beauty. I think he does since more than 20 years. He got a new BB for the two last albums.

Hal Blaine definitely was pictured using a 400 for most of the pics I have seen of him .
Yeah, I just did a quick search, and every pic I came across in which you can see the snare, it was a Supra (LM400).

Jeff Porcaro was a big proponent of using a Black beauty in the studio from what I've read. Perhaps an email to his tech Ross Garfield the "Drum Doctor" may yield some some results?

I'm also curious as to which snare Bermuda preferred in the studio and any songs recorded with that particular model.

Pretty sure Chad Smith used a black beauty on blood, sugar, sex, magic.

Tama Bell Brass - Dave Grohl

Supras - far too many

I just learned from the guys in Nicko's drum shop that he pretty much always used a Ludwig 402 until he got his new BDC signature snare drums. Having played the metal one, I can testify that it's a worthy successor.

1) Hal is arguably a brass 400

2) Gadd

3) Look for Porcaro pics. I recall one with a Radio King

4) he’s maybe not a super full blown session legend, but I have a bronze 80s supra owned by Mike Baird

5) but you did ask about a black beauty. So I digress. I think there’s some stories about mutt Lange using a black beauty with Def Leppard. With a washcloth taped across the top 1/4 of the drum. But I don’t have pictures of it.

Back