What's your latest purchase?

Those look as clean as the ones I found. Absolutely love them. Did yours come with the box and bag too?
yep :) even came with original instruction manual! :) and theyre strap drive as well, which is perfect for me! :)

Just a little something. I am a bit ambivalent about selling off my Pearl P932 so time will tell. I am really liking the all-felt beater on the Yamaha.

FP7210A_Box.jpg

FP7210A01.jpg

Hey, I just made the first purchase in a while…a Gibraltar replacement hoop for my Ludwig rack tom. Saw you can get a genuine Ludwig hoop for $25 more, and decided I don’t care enough ;)

Snagged a used Black Beauty 14x5 for USD100!!!!!!! I'm sure it's brass because 1) magnets don't stick to it, and 2) there are letter "BR" stamped on the shell under the throw off. There is no sticker inside the drum, so 1) I can't date it, and 2) it might be a "B stock". I'm also sure the hoops are 2.3mm because they feel as heavy as my Pearl Superhoops II's. It came with no lug gaskets. The previous owner probably removed them to maximize resonance. A string/strap lock screw on the P85 throw has a loose thread, and the P33 butt plate is too close to the snare-side head hoop, so I ordered a new P88ac set. I put on a fresh Ambassador coated, and a used Diplomat snare side, and it sounded absolutely WICKED!

You might notice from the picture though that the snare-side hoop looks skewed. Thankfully it's just the head collar that is crooked. So I ordered a new 2mil reso head too.

The cost of the drum, the P88ac, and the new heads are still less than half the usual price of a used one. I really lucked out on this one. Of all my used purchases, this has to be the best.

IMG_4227.JPG

Last edited:
Snagged a used Black Beauty 14x5 for USD100!!!!!!! I'm sure it's brass because 1) magnets don't stick to it, and 2) there are letter "BR" stamped on the shell under the throw off. There is no sticker inside the drum, so 1) I can't date it, and 2) it might be a "B stock". I'm also sure the hoops are 2.3mm because they feel as heavy as my Pearl Superhoops II's. It came with no lug gaskets. The previous owner probably removed them to maximize resonance. A string/strap lock screw on the P85 throw has a loose thread, and the P33 butt plate is too close to the snare-side head hoop, so I ordered a new P88ac set. I put on a fresh Ambassador coated, and a used Diplomat snare side, and it sounded absolutely WICKED!

You might notice from the picture though that the snare-side hoop looks skewed. Thankfully it's just the head collar that is crooked. So I ordered a new 2mil reso head too.

The cost of the drum, the P88ac, and the new heads are still less than half the usual price of a used one. I really lucked out on this one. Of all my used purchases, this has to be the best.

View attachment 126854
Looks like one to me from here ;). Awesome to fall into a sweet deal like that. So what do you like about the Diplomat snare side? I’ve contemplated trying one but I can’t argue with the Ambassador clear that’s on my L&L Standard.

did you have to mortgage the house for that?

back in the day, that had a beefy price!!
They're still a pretty penny, especially if you get it new. This just happened to be in the Music-Go-Round for over a thousand dollars less than a new one, granted sans box and shockmount (which is $400-odd for the real Neumann), so I hemmed and hawed for a minute, got some pizza, then put it on my credit card. I just got paid a nice lump from doing a live sound gig at a local private school, and had a three-day session starting the day after I found the mic, so it seemed like a good investment for the studio.

And, of course, it sounds really good!

They're still a pretty penny, especially if you get it new. This just happened to be in the Music-Go-Round for over a thousand dollars less than a new one, granted sans box and shockmount (which is $400-odd for the real Neumann), so I hemmed and hawed for a minute, got some pizza, then put it on my credit card. I just got paid a nice lump from doing a live sound gig at a local private school, and had a three-day session starting the day after I found the mic, so it seemed like a good investment for the studio.

And, of course, it sounds really good!

i love it that you had a pizza!!! That is definitely the food to use while mulling over life changing decisions!!! pizza and a Nueman mic in one day...like hitting the lottery

Took some advice from Rob Beatdown Brown and grabbed some “bats” for pad practice. Here is a pic next to some 5Bs
View attachment 126979

yes, the Tim Fairbanks sticks!! That is what my snare drummers use for durmline this year. Pro Mark is starting to put out domme pretty good marching sticks

Back