What's your latest purchase?

So, I talked about it in my thread "Small collection of snares", this is the last acquisition, Maoex 30th Anniversary Walnut 8 ply, 8 mm. The sound is awesome, big loud but also super sensitive, I had it close to me to tune it between calls during my shift at home and when I was talking, the wires were starting to sizzle!!??
And super easy to tune, it came also already well tuned, F3# which is perfect for me for this low end wood, Anyway, for 500 Can$, it's a A snare and not "a B one brand" I was thinking Maoex was. Here are the photos:

View attachment 124335View attachment 124336View attachment 124337View attachment 124338View attachment 124339View attachment 124340Sdd
Everyone thinks that about Mapex until they play them. They're great drums. Enjoy the snare! It looks fantastic.

This may need a bit of context.

I haven't had a kit set up at home since moving out of my parents' house back in 2013, as I've either lived in a flat and haven't had the space or have lived close by to neighbours and haven't had the space. I used to play at work occasionally as I could have a kit set up there but since changing careers three years ago, that hasn't been possible.

A couple of months back we had a garden office built for me as I work from home full-time in IT for a small company. The room is 15 square metres (161 square feet) so I'm able to get my (enormous) desk and various other things in here comfortably. I realised that I'd be able to get my smallest kit set up in a reasonable way.

This kit is a heavily modified 1980s Pearl Export that I was given in about 2008. It was a six-piece with a 22" bass drum but I took the 16" floor tom, 10" and 12" toms, turned the bass drum into a floor tom with a riser (which I've replaced with another one) and took it to University with me. At some point I put a hideous blue multi-coloured sparkle vinyl wrap on it (really cheap stuff) and fiddled around with the hardware. I have a full-size 22" kit and a separate vintage 20" bass drum which are stored on shelves in this room too but they're a bit big to have set up.

Fast forward to today. I've bought a set of Tama mesh heads (a 10", a 14" and a 16") and a set of cheap Zildjian L80 knock-offs, which means I can play in my garden office with most of the feel of a real kit, without bothering the neighbours and best of all, without upsetting the dog (pictured). Having played the kit with my normal cymbals and heads a couple of times, I was very conscious of volume and the dog got very upset about the whole affair.

IMG_7567.jpg

Is it perfect? No. Is it exactly the same? No, absolutely not. Is it infinitely better than not having a kit set up? Yes. Does it work? Yes. See also, childhood rug. I'll probably buy a head for the 12" tom, mount the 10" off a stand and put the 12" in the floor tom position (10" currently pretending it's a floor tom) but all in good time.

My only apology is to Andy for putting a mesh head on the beautiful Guru snare that I have - but I figured I'd rather play it with a mesh head than not play it on a shelf...

Last edited:
My Brooklyn’s are a total waster with SuperPads and L80s too, but I’m playing and that’s what most important. Your setup should work perfectly between file copies and going from fire to fire. We’ll done.

I haven't had a kit set up at home since moving out of my parents' house back in 2013, as I've either lived in a flat and haven't had the space or have lived close by to neighbours and haven't had the space. I used to play at work occasionally as I could have a kit set up there but since changing careers three years ago, that hasn't been possible.

A couple of months back we had a garden office built for me as I work from home full-time in IT for a small company. The room is 15 square metres (161 square feet) so I'm able to get my (enormous) desk and various other things in here comfortably. I realised that I'd be able to get my smallest kit set up in a reasonable way.

This kit is a heavily modified 1980s Pearl Export that I was given in about 2008. It was a six-piece with a 22" bass drum but I took the 16" floor tom, 10" and 12" toms, turned the bass drum into a floor tom with a riser (which I've replaced with another one) and took it to University with me. At some point I put a hideous blue multi-coloured sparkle vinyl wrap on it (really cheap stuff) and fiddled around with the hardware. I have a full-size 22" kit and a separate vintage 20" bass drum which are stored on shelves in this room too but they're a bit big to have set up.

Fast forward to today. I've bought a set of Tama mesh heads (a 10", a 14" and a 16") and a set of cheap Zildjian L80 knock-offs, which means I can play in my garden office with most of the feel of a real kit, without bothering the neighbours and best of all, without upsetting the dog (pictured). Having played the kit with my normal cymbals and heads a couple of times, I was very conscious of volume and the dog got very upset about the whole affair.

View attachment 124353

Is it perfect? No. Is it exactly the same? No, absolutely not. Is it infinitely better than not having a kit set up? Yes. Does it work? Yes. See also, childhood rug. I'll probably buy a head for the 12" tom, mount the 10" off a stand and put the 12" in the floor tom position (10" currently pretending it's a floor tom) but all in good time.

My only apology is to Andy for putting a mesh head on the beautiful Guru snare that I have - but I figured I'd rather play it with a mesh head than not play it on a shelf...
Love that Duncan. Right on

View attachment 124353

I am glad you thought about your little dog. I have done somewhat the same with my new little girl. She does the same as your pup. 🐶

So, I talked about it in my thread "Small collection of snares", this is the last acquisition, Maoex 30th Anniversary Walnut 8 ply, 8 mm. The sound is awesome, big loud but also super sensitive, I had it close to me to tune it between calls during my shift at home and when I was talking, the wires were starting to sizzle!!??
And super easy to tune, it came also already well tuned, F3# which is perfect for me for this low end wood, Anyway, for 500 Can$, it's a A snare and not "a B one brand" I was thinking Maoex was. Here are the photos:

View attachment 124335View attachment 124336View attachment 124337View attachment 124338View attachment 124339View attachment 124340Sdd
Beautiful snare! Just got an all maple Mapex Black Panther snare myself.

I don't know if it is the Sonic Clear Edge or some other property of the drum, but mine has a HUGE tuning range. I was playing around with it, from super high, to grotesquely low, and it continued to sound musical at pretty much any tension.

Everyone thinks that about Mapex until they play them. They're great drums. Enjoy the snare! It looks fantastic.
Beautiful snare! Just got an all maple Mapex Black Panther snare myself.

I don't know if it is the Sonic Clear Edge or some other property of the drum, but mine has a HUGE tuning range. I was playing around with it, from super high, to grotesquely low, and it continued to sound musical at pretty much any tension.
@Trigger, I know, it was a discovery for me and I listened to other sans and I like a lot the "machine"/signature snare and the Shadow and they are some other high end snares. I'm super slow at tuning drums, I do it by ears, then tunebot then ears for the last few % or maybe I'm too picky but when I found a tuning that I like for a snare, I don't mess up too much with it, I prefer to change snare but maybe I should play with tuning more, thanks for the heads up on this one.

Form60215HH-xlarge.jpg.auto.webp

Happy Anniversary GIF by Sesame Street

Pearl 3rd generation piano black 14x6.5 Free Floater snare used in immaculate condition.
2 brand new curved cymbal arms.

Attachments

• BAC03737-6FDE-4885-A564-CA08E66F8764.jpeg
    BAC03737-6FDE-4885-A564-CA08E66F8764.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 19
  • AA4C500A-4F66-427B-91E8-A8487A76714D.jpeg
    AA4C500A-4F66-427B-91E8-A8487A76714D.jpeg
    468.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 60BEA49A-FBA9-4633-9869-66308D72DF00.jpeg
    60BEA49A-FBA9-4633-9869-66308D72DF00.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 11
  • A8720BE2-6737-41F5-8C49-EC6255DFE513.jpeg
    A8720BE2-6737-41F5-8C49-EC6255DFE513.jpeg
    447.8 KB · Views: 20
  • B4DE0F73-FF13-4882-AE79-FEEA07BB1E23.jpeg
    B4DE0F73-FF13-4882-AE79-FEEA07BB1E23.jpeg
    734.7 KB · Views: 20
8C0D130A-A66B-4A35-BE01-7977C52AE044.jpegI bought a tama stagestar (10 12 14 18 and 13 snare) a while back. It was quite rusted on the hoops and it took me a while to get them cleaned up. I haven’t gotten around to the hardware yet (not pictured).

I just bought it so I could have an 18” kick and it’s a bit of fun. I’ve flipped the snare online and it’s paid for the rest of the kit lol

View attachment 124460I bought a tama stagestar (10 12 14 18 and 13 snare) a while back. It was quite rusted on the hoops and it took me a while to get them cleaned up. I haven’t gotten around to the hardware yet (not pictured).

I just bought it so I could have an 18” kick and it’s a bit of fun. I’ve flipped the snare online and it’s paid for the rest of the kit lol
Beautiful cymbals!!!

Back