Songs with a displaced snare

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Hey everyone, as with my previous threads, I'm just trying to catalogue songs by categories that could assist myself/others with learning and practice.

I am after a list of songs with a displaced backbeat.

By this I mean the backbeat is not strictly on the 2 and 4 where a song is 4/4, and advanced/delayed for other time signatures. If this only happens in part of a song that's cool.

Some examples I can think of are:

Chameleon - Herbie Hancock
Actual proof - Herbie Hancock
Shadowland - The lion king
The Goodbye Look - Donald Fagan
Children Say - Level 42

I’ve recently found an original pressing of this classic rock album and find it just as good as it was in 1982. Don’t let the cover dissuade a listen, it’s really quite good with some displaced snare work as well as some cadences and opera singers :)

Bell Bottom Blues - Derek and the Dominoes (Snare on 1 and 3)
Do you know the story behind the recording of that song? As in ...why are the drums backwards?
I had to play it in a top 40 band, so I learned it, and after the first time we played it at a show, the bandleader told me to just play it "regular" 😆
I was like....ok learning it was a waste of time but whatever. :p

There is an RHCP song that starts with a drum beat with displaced notes. I cannot for the life of me remember which song it is. It's a slower tune.

Do you know the story behind the recording of that song? As in ...why are the drums backwards?
I had to play it in a top 40 band, so I learned it, and after the first time we played it at a show, the bandleader told me to just play it "regular" 😆
They aren't backwards. Jim Gordon is the drummer on that, and without a doubt he played it that way with intent for a different feel.
The band leader should realize that is in fact the 'regular' way.

They aren't backwards. Jim Gordon is the drummer on that, and without a doubt he played it that way with intent for a different feel.
The band leader should realize that is in fact the 'regular' way.
It always sounded backwards to me. And BL’s intent was clear, regardless of which way he thinks is “regular.”

It always sounded backwards to me. And BL’s intent was clear, regardless of which way he thinks is “regular.”
" regular " - occurring at defined intervals" .
Maybe he drives through a 4 way stop sign because he's treating the intersection as 'regular'? ;)

My recollection is because Jim Gordon was a fan of the way Ginger Baker had similarly turned the beat around on bandmate EC's "Sunshine of Your Love." I also vaguely recall it may have been suggested by producer Tom Dowd, who'd been the engineer on "Sunshine," but I might be wrong about that bit.

Back