Opinions on DW Performance kits?

Any and all info is welcome about DW Performance kits. I'm upgrading from a sub $1K kit. Are they made in the US? Are they heavy? Hardware decent? I'lll be gigging them regionally.

Any and all info is welcome about DW Performance kits. I'm upgrading from a sub $1K kit. Are they made in the US? Are they heavy? Hardware decent? I'lll be gigging them regionally.
I have a set and they're great drums. Sound, fit/finish and hardware are all great, IMO. They're not the lightest drums, but I don't find them overly heavy either. If weight is a concern and you're interested in DW, the Design series is the lightest because they have the lowest mass lugs of DW offerings. The video yammyfan shared has good info.

They are good drums for sure.. and I am a fan.. However they are easy to beat IMO.. A well known member on this forum.. had a Performance set for quite a while.. bought a Tama Superstar Classic maple kit.. and he swears they are better than the Performance.. Most people here will scoff at this.. but better to ask the guy who had the kits right next to each other here below in this thread. https://www.drummerworld.com/forums...nce-kit-vs-tama-superstar-classic-kit.178402/

They are good drums for sure and I am a fan. However they are easy to beat IMO. A well known member on this forum had a Performance set for quite a while.. bought a Tama Superstar Classic maple kit, and he swears they are better than the Performance. Most people here will scoff at this, but better to ask the guy who had the kits right next to each other here below in this thread.
There's a whole thread about DW hate and I'm sure those spearheading that will pipe up.
I like DW for many reasons & I have some dislikes. I'm more a fan of their hardware & snares over their toms.

Aren't they identical to Collector's minus the custom options? As far as I know the only physical difference is the HVX layering technique on the Performance shells which they do for pitch consistency. This way they don't spend time and resources "matching" shells for each kit like they do with the Collector's.

I don't use the stock single-ply Remo heads but I wouldn't say they sound bad, but it's not the sound I want. It's a very wide open sound, I guess that's how I'd describe it.
I immediately replaced them with G2s and the toms sound very much like my Starclassic Maples with G2s.

The hardware is superb, again I believe it's Collector's hardware with the smaller lugs, which I think are DWs best looking ones. Tuning is the easiest of any kit I've owned, not sure why.

Last edited:
I've owned one before, and I bought one again this spring (I've been asked to play some gigs, and I don't want to risk my vintage sets.) I like my DW Performance set very much. The tuning is surprising wide (especially the bass drum) and the drums are very well made. They're neither the heaviest nor lightest out there, and to be honest, I like the smaller lug size over the Collector's series.

I agree with others: replace the stock heads. I went with Evans G12 (thick, single-ply) and I think I'm getting a great sound from them: warm, balanced attack and sustain.

These are very nice drums that are now available in more sizes than in the past. Prices for new shell packs have gone up significantly in the past 3-4 years. There also seems to be some turnover in certain finishes, which may make it difficult to add on down the road unless you go with a standard finish like natural, cherry stain, or WMP.

I've played a set, and my takeaway was that they weren't bad but they weren't great either. IMO, there are better sets out there for the same money. Before spending that kind of money on them, take a hard look at a used Ludwig Classic Maple and/or used Gretsch USA-made drums. These options sound head and shoulders above any DW offerings to my ears.

However, I'm just one man with one opinion. There are many people out there who have them and love them.

If country of origin isn't important, the DW Design Series are essentially Performance Series drums made overseas to a very high standard.

The Designs feature North American maple shells, same graduated hoops and excellent quality hardware (tom mounts etc.) as the Performance series drums but feature smaller turret lugs which some people (myself included) love.

The Designs make excellent gigging kits and cost less than Performance series sets though sizes and finishes are limited. If they're not intended to be one's "forever drums" then they are a superb value. They are to DW what the Renowns are to Gretsch.

If I had that kind of budget I'd be looking at Ludwig or Gretsch, but get what you like and be happy. Of course we all know Yamaha makes a fine product as well....It's all going to be pretty darn nice at that price point. And whatever you decide on, there will always be those to poo poo it as inferior for whatever reason. Definitely keep us posted!

I'm going to take some time to look at other brands and ranges. I've got a decent budget so there is no rush.
Good plan. Play as many different sets from different manufactures as possible. Drums that come across as amazing on YouTube may bot move you as much in person. Drums that didn’t move you in the videos may sound amazing in person.

The hardware is superb, again I believe it's Collector's hardware with the smaller lugs, which I think are DWs best looking ones. Tuning is the easiest of any kit I've owned, not sure why.
DWs are among the easiest drums to tune that I have encountered. I chalk that up to the True-Pitch tension rods and excellent bearing edges. The hardware on DW kits is on point.

Last edited:
I think I'm off the DW Performance idea. Maybe a nice Gretsch Brooklyn, Ludwig Classic Maple or a Tama Starclassic Maple. Looking at those kind kits that maybe I can find a deal on be they new or used.

I think I'm off the DW Performance idea. Maybe a nice Gretsch Brooklyn, Ludwig Classic Maple or a Tama Starclassic Maple. Looking at those kind kits that maybe I can find a deal on be they new or used.

Look at the thread on used deals I have been adding to things as I find them

What steered you away from the Dee Dubs? The other sets you’re looking at are all fantastic. IMO, the Gretsch and Ludwig sound has a certain mojo to it…I love them both for different reasons. I don’t have any experience w the sound of the Tamas, but a lot of players love them. Tamas hardware is tough to beat.

Look at the thread on used deals I have been adding to things as I find them
What steered you away from the Dee Dubs? The other sets you’re looking at are all fantastic. IMO, the Gretsch and Ludwig sound has a certain mojo to it…I love them both for different reasons. I don’t have any experience w the sound of the Tamas, but a lot of players love them. Tamas hardware is tough to beat.
With $2500 budget I think I can do better than DW Performance. They sound kind of one dimensional to me. I don't have to spend the entire amount but I don't want to get into an upgrade cycle. I may as well get something I can keep for many years.

What about the Design series? 100% of the DW Performance quality and sound for a fraction of the cost.

Edit: You were posting a reply when I asked my question. I was operating under the assumption that you were primarily looking for a gigging kit but it sounds like your needs have changed. Happy shopping - let us know what you find!

Back