Need a better solution to lugging stands

EricT43

I just mentioned in another thread how moving my gear to and from gigs is starting to become a big pain. Traditionally, I throw all my stands into a hardware bag, but as I get older and saltier it is taking more and more out of me to move that heavy SOB.

In an effort to make it easier over the years, I've done a couple different things. I got a bag with wheels on one end of it - helps a lot except when there are stairs. I switched to single-braced stands for my snare and crash cymbals. I still use DW9000's for the ride and high hats, and those things weigh a ton, but I love 'em. I've limited my cymbal selection to hats, ride, 2 crashes, and a china. So, 2 heavy stands and 3 light ones, plus the floor tom legs, throne, pedal etc. For the drums, I switched from SKB hard cases to Ahead soft bags.

The bottom ends (the end with the wheels on it) for both of my hardware bags have ripped open with use, so I need to get replacements. This time around, I'm thinking maybe it will be better to get 2 or 3 lightweight bags with no wheels, and split the gear between them to reduce the weight. More trips back and forth, but they should be easier to manage. Asking my band for help is a possibility, but I much prefer to get there first and set up before space starts getting eaten up by the others.

What do you all do to make the hardware easier to move around?

I like to mount as much as I can on one stand...so it might be holding 2 toms, 2 cymbals...or more.

I also mount my remote hat(only hat I use) off my snare stand.

Pretty usual conservation ideas...

great question!

Same problem here... I like at least a 5 piece kit with two crashes and ride, but at one point decided to cut down to a small 4 piece with just one crash for gigs. Hardware fits in two easy to carry bags.

It's a compromise but the sound I get is sufficient for the pub covers we do. If I ever get bigger gigs it'll have to be a rental kit readily set up! (so nice when you get that...)

Well, other than keeping the amount of gear and stands down. I use mic stand bags and leave the stands telescopes out. This way they are faster to set up/breakdown.

I find it pretty easy to throw over my shoulder like a roll of carpet. Actually, I usually put my drum rug rolled up on top of the bag and carry them at the same time.

If I utilized more stands I would get more mic bags. I think they work well for my needs.

I use an old school SKB 48" rolling case, the band has nicknamed "the coffin". It's big, and heavy, and really durable. It's rugged enuf that I can pull it up over a few steps (tho I wouldn't want to do that over a full set of stairs).

I went with the 48" case cuz I didn't want to take the rod out of the hihat. I can put all the hardware in it, as well as the throne. The seat comes off and it fits nicely at the top end of the case, the hihat and one other longer stand rest on top of it.

It's heavy. But it rolls anywhere (save for those pesky crushed rock driveways...). I love it.

I use one of these collapsible camp wagons which can be bought nearly anywhere. It can move my entire drumset in three trips or so, and I just place the hardware in it for one of the trips. Takes up almost no space in the car.

1652811532046.png

I also use the Yamaha Crosstown aluminum stands (2 cymbal & snare). It was a noticeable weight reduction. I also use fairly lightweight singled braced HH and one other cymbal stand, though I'll probably replace the cymbal stand with clamp-on boom arm.

I stopped using my Tama HH top model Iron Cobra stand and heavy duty Yamaha cymbal stands because of the weight. I haul everything in a Kaces hardware bag with wheels and it has surpassed my expectations for durability.

Next step is a smaller kit or lighter drums or both. :)

One of these:

and one of these:

The plastic trunk actually weighs less empty than a hardware bag. It's also compact enough to fit in the trunk of a car. It fits all of my hardware, including throne top easily.

I put drums on top of the cart and roll it in to the venue. True, it doesn't work with stairs, but nothing really will, other than carrying it by hand. The dolly has an optional handle you can get to so it's even easier.

About $40 total, and that's much cheaper than a new rolling hardware bag.

EDIT-Not sure why the link to the plastic trunk is saying "Robot or Human?" but I swear it's a vaild link.

Last edited:
I had the exact same thing happen in a thread about a month ago.
I think its my fault for using a google link to amazon...I shoulda just grabbed the image.

I just read into these, what one is yours pictured?

the R2G w/ all-terrain wheels looks good and about $60 less than the R11G

Mine’s the R12. It’s got the all-terrain wheels as well. Great for grass and gravel. Had it for about 10 years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad you have to have the DW9000 stuff. If you just went Yamaha Crosstown, you’d only be lugging about 20-pounds worth of hardware. And it’s good hardware! I use a regular 24x24x12 trap case and now that it’s so light I no longer complain about the schlep!

Too bad you have to have the DW9000 stuff. If you just went Yamaha Crosstown, you’d only be lugging about 20-pounds worth of hardware. And it’s good hardware! I use a regular 24x24x12 trap case and now that it’s so light I no longer complain about the schlep!
I think I may give the Yamaha hw kit a try. It sounds like exactly what I need.

Back