Iron Cobra Singel Kick... Leg Muscle Strain

Drumdame

Silver Member
I recently bought a brand new Iron Cobra single kick pedal and my son set it up for me and maybe a half hour into using it I could feel the top of my leg muscles straining. He's adjusted it a couple times and I still have no relief. Is there an adjustment to the pedal that will relieve that muscle strain in my leg?

Before that I was using my sons old Iron Cobra twin kick. I've never had that problem, I could go for four hours straight and my leg never hurt me... now I'm getting very discouraged. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
Drummer_D

Iron Cobra pedals tend to have a heavy feel to them, it's just one of their "features."

It's possible that a brand new spring is making the new pedal feel even heavier. You could try reducing the spring tension a little more, or even try putting the older spring from the other pedal on the new one and see how that feels.

Like said in the last post try adjusting the tention spring or you can buy a nother spring with a softer feel I can't recommed one but maybe someone o this forum can.

I’d suggest rather than your son you fiddle and play with your new pedal. He probably adjusted it to his feel. Collin Bailey has a video on Drummerworld on how to adjust your pedal- also Billy Ward had a video seems I recollect. Both were keen on a spring tension that gives you most repetitions when you pull it back with finger. Then find the sweet spot on your pedal where you can take a finger or big toe and get the most action. Should relieve all that tension when you find maximum dexterity with least effort. So basically I’m saying fiddle with it till it feels good LOL.

I was having terrible hip pain in my right hip- when I was younger I ran a lot and thought it was arthritis and maybe a hip replacement was in future- it nagged me over a year. I lowered my drum throne and within a couple weeks , at most, the pain was gone.

If you have to, get your son to bring the old pedal over, and mimic all its settings on the new one.

If you have to, get your son to bring the old pedal over, and mimic all its settings on the new one.
We have three kits and they're all at my place. He took his own twin kick that I was using and put it on the new drum kit. That left me having to buy my own single kick because I never used the twin anyway.

Next time he comes over I'm going to have him check out his twin and compare it to the single or take some of the other advice from the Forum by watching some of the videos and maybe trying a few of their tricks.

All I know is now I don't have that desire to play because who wants to play when your leg feels horrible? Never once did I ever have strained leg muscles even playing for 4 hours straight. So this is very discouraging.

Drummer_D

Last edited:
We have three kits and they're all at my place. He took his own kick that I was using and put it on the new drum kit. That left me having to buy my own single kick because I never used the twin anyway..

Next time he comes over I'm going to have him check out his twin and compare it to the single or take some of the other advice from the Forum by watching some of the videos and maybe trying a few of their tricks.

All I know is now I don't have that desire to play because who wants to play when your leg feels horrible? Never once did I ever strain leg muscles even playing for 4 hours straight. So this is very discouraging.

Drummer_D
I get all that. I'm just saying, if you mimic all the settings of the older pedal and you still feel discomfort, it's not the pedal, but something else, coincidentally. :)

I bought a DW pedal and took it straight to a gig without trying it out. By the end of the night my calf and shin were cramping. When I compared it to my other pedal I saw that the DW had a steeper pedal board angle. I lowered the pedal board angle and the pain went away.
Thanks for the tip I might try that!

Drummer_D

lowering the foot board would not give you much controll it would fell very awkward.

This is true, unless the foot board is in fact too high. It can be too high as well as too low.

Last edited:
Tuned in for possible outcome. I feel for ya! I was going to post some advice but the fine membership here already posted exactly what I was going to suggest. :)

Tuned in for possible outcome. I feel for ya! I was going to post some advice but the fine membership here already posted exactly what I was going to suggest. :)
I was just thinking about that a couple of days ago and wanted to zero in on that Cobra Kick and give my "Drum Buddies & Stick Chicks" an update.

After a couple more adjustments that my son made all of a sudden my leg just got used to it and I absolutely love it!

So just for the heck of it I tried my son's twin Cobra kick that's at least 20 years old that I've been using for the past year-and-a-half and there's no comparison. He definitely needs new beaters and of course I wouldn't have known any different until I got my brand new single Cobra kick.

Now I'm enjoying drummin' again!

Cheers!
Drummer_D

Last edited:
I was just thinking about that a couple of days ago and wanted to zero in on that Cobra Kick and give my "Drum Buddies and Stick Chicks" an update.

After a couple more adjustments that my son made all of a sudden my leg just got used to it and I absolutely love it!

So just for the heck of it I tried my son's twin Cobra kick that's at least 20 years old that I've been using for the past year-and-a-half and there's no comparison. He definitely needs new beaters and of course I wouldn't have known better until I got a brand new single Cobra kick.

Cheers!
Drummer_D
Hope your son doesn't agonize over new beaters like I have the past few days :D

Hope your son doesn't agonize over new beaters like I have the past few days :D
Well JimmyM, I remember putting a post out about beaters and my goodness there were so many beaters I was going crazy.

My son seems to like the beater that's on my brand new Iron Cobra kick but I'm wondering if it will act the same putting it on a 20 year old twin kick?

Drummer_D

Well JimmyM, I remember putting a post out about beaters and my goodness there were so many beaters I was going crazy.

My son seems to like the beater that's on my brand new Iron Cobra kick but I'm wondering if it will act the same putting it on a 20 year old twin kick?

Drummer_D
I couldn't tell you, but I would expect it to if all else is equal.

I was just thinking about that a couple of days ago and wanted to zero in on that Cobra Kick and give my "Drum Buddies and Stick Chicks" an update.

So just for the heck of it I tried my son's twin Cobra kick that's at least 20 years old that I've been using for the past year-and-a-half and there's no comparison. He definitely needs new beaters and of course I wouldn't have known any different until I got my brand new single Cobra kick.

Cheers!
Drummer_D
Great news, happy to hear it. Crazy how the little things can have such a large effect.

Cheers!
Drummer_D
Goodoò

Back