favorite groove songs for you drummers?

Favourite ”groove” music play-a-long would be anything by Steely Dan.
Same here with Steely Dan, anything from Off The Wall, anything Toto but the first album has some filthy pockets on it along with the Joseph Williams 80s albums.

Let's Get It On - Marvin Gaye
O-O-H Child - Five Stairsteps
La La Love You - Pixies
I've Got A Feeling - Beatles
Can't You Hear Me Knockin' - Rolling Stones
Monkey Man - Rolling Stones
Loving Cup - Rolling Stones

sharp dressed man - ZZ top
lucretia my reflection - the sisters of mercy (i groove to it even though its a drum machine doing it)
the chicken - pee wee ellis/jaco pastorius
cantaloupe island - herbie hancock
take 5 - dave brubeck quartest
addicted - simple plan
get your body beat - combichrist
armour - VNV nation
superstition - stevie wonder
walk - pantera
cowboys from hell - pantera

EDIT: the favourite groove song that ive recorded that i like is called "the river" by my old band 'Freshman'.

if anyone fancies giving it a go, heres the youtube link :)

Last edited:
Same here with Steely Dan, anything from Off The Wall, anything Toto but the first album has some filthy pockets on it along with the Joseph Williams 80s albums.

I was in 4th grade when that came out, and played along to it ALL OF THE TIME back then!! Great memories of rushing home from school, propping up dads big Marantz speakers on the dining room chairs on either side of my kit, blasting that album and playing along. it was that album, Grand Illusion by Styx and 2112...

I was in 4th grade when that came out, and played along to it ALL OF THE TIME back then!! Great memories of rushing home from school, propping up dads big Marantz speakers on the dining room chairs on either side of my kit, blasting that album and playing along. it was that album, Grand Illusion by Styx and 2112...
I've just upgraded my stereo to something that can handle records properly. The production on Off The Wall is out of this world. really hasn't translated to digital very well but that's a completely different argument.

I've just upgraded my stereo to something that can handle records properly. The production on Off The Wall is out of this world. really hasn't translated to digital very well but that's a completely different argument.

man, I wish I had the space - and money - to get a real listening area set up!!

but in the past 10 years, I do most of my listening while driving because of my job/lifestyle. I have "audiophile wishes and caviar dreams" right now

man, I wish I had the space - and money - to get a real listening area set up!!

but in the past 10 years, I do most of my listening while driving because of my job/lifestyle. I have "audiophile wishes and caviar dreams" right now
I'm the same, I just started collecting records at uni in the early 2000s when it was the most uncool thing going and now I'm cool apparently!

Found a guy who does house clearances for a living and he had loads of electronics from the 80s onwards including the 90s behemoth I got for a bargain.

I've ripped a bunch of loops from recordings, and I practice along with those. Some of my favorites for rock and funk:

Nasty Gal / Betty Davis
Same Old Thing / The Meters
Buy Africa / Fela Kuti
Front Page News / Little Feat
The Free Design / Stereolab
The Wizard / Black Sabbath

I just posted some zips of my loops to download, organized by rock/funk, slow-medium tempo jazz, and Latin.

The song Echoes by Pink Floyd has a great 4:00+ funky groove at the end that I LOVE to play to.
Any AC/DC song is pretty groove oriented and fills that need.

Nasty Gal / Betty Davis
She is so underrated and relatively unknown outside musicians, I've found.
I kick it to Betty on the reg.

She is so underrated and relatively unknown outside musicians, I've found.
I kick it to Betty on the reg.
Even my wife, who is a big fan of Miles was unaware of her.

The song Echoes by Pink Floyd has a great 4:00+ funky groove at the end that I LOVE to play to.
Any AC/DC song is pretty groove oriented and fills that need.

I know the exact spot you are talking about.. the song just sorta drops into it and it feels sooo good... i played that song every night for bout 6 months, i still think it's one of the best things ever recorded (The pompeii version, not the studio)

I'm the same, I just started collecting records at uni in the early 2000s when it was the most uncool thing going and now I'm cool apparently!

Found a guy who does house clearances for a living and he had loads of electronics from the 80s onwards including the 90s behemoth I got for a bargain.

I never got into vinyl for vinyl's sake. Cassettes were the big medium when I got to the age where I was paying for my own music, so I had about 600 cassettes back in the day, but they are all gone now. I have always been so transient in my living situation that I did not have the means to have records like that. I also did not really buy into the whole "vinyl uber alles" mentality, especially when CD's came out. My CD collection is sort of outrageous though...roughly around 6000, and is now taking up a majority of the storage unit I have to hold all my crap <---that is a large "mis-investment" from my youth...

currently, I am one of the only ones in my group of friends who have not jumped on the vinyl thing...i have too many other collections I am monitoring...the biggest one being sports cards. I have roughly 75,000 cards between football, baseball and hockey...that is a truly brutal addiction!!

Back