Drum inserts

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
To cover the insides of the shell with a veneer of wood or metal of your choice. Easy on easy off velcro fasteners. Magnetic fasteners available, sold in packs of 2! Turn any metal drum into a wood drum and vice versa. Add mass! Add brightness! Or, add warmth! Change the tone of your drums quick and easy without the cost! We even have potato inserts! The fun is just beginning!

In stores now!

Not.

Do you think there would be any interest in these?

But I do think there could be better dampeners. But not dampers.

I like the interchangeable bearing edge idea better. But this is one of my proposed experiments to coat inside of wood snare with a dense metal like gold leaf, and apply an acrylic or wood insert for inside to a metal snare. I also wonder has anyone built internal baffles to focus sound waves inside the shell to reduce turbulence and reflected waves. I also wonder do porous woods absorb certain frequencies to alter timbre. Before my 35th anniversary vacation I was obsessed with this but thankfully put it all down. In any case I’m wary 😒 f some drum shell dogma because it doesn’t seem complete.

But this is one of my proposed experiments to coat inside of wood snare with a dense metal like gold leaf, and apply an acrylic or wood insert for inside to a metal snare.
Try your hand at vibra-fibing your drums.

has anyone built internal baffles to focus sound waves inside the shell to reduce turbulence and reflected waves.
Try a towel or old shirt!

I like the interchangeable bearing edge idea better. But this is one of my proposed experiments to coat inside of wood snare with a dense metal like gold leaf, and apply an acrylic or wood insert for inside to a metal snare. I also wonder has anyone built internal baffles to focus sound waves inside the shell to reduce turbulence and reflected waves. I also wonder do porous woods absorb certain frequencies to alter timbre. Before my 35th anniversary vacation I was obsessed with this but thankfully put it all down. In any case I’m wary 😒 f some drum shell dogma because it doesn’t seem complete.
Sorry, could you say that again, I was fixated/mortified by your profile image 😨

You guys are missing the point. The point is to be able to alter the tone of the drums with thin wood or metal inserts. The idea is to have one set of drums, and alter them to a different tone with removeable inserts, without the expense or space requirements of multiple sets

I like this idea and think there could be something to it. Say you want the sound of a hand hammered metal snare, but don't like the look of them from the outside? Put an insert that is a hammered or crumpled copper foil. That way the air inside the drum is disrupted the way a hand hammered shell does. Seems like it could or should work to me.

You guys are missing the point. The point is to be able to alter the tone of the drums with thin wood or metal inserts. The idea is to have one set of drums, and alter them to a different tone with removeable inserts, without the expense or space requirements of multiple sets
Ok. I understand now.

I just went and lined all my drums with heavy duty aluminum foil (off the 300’ roll) and my drums sounded *amazing* and I highly recommend you try it!

DrumLiner1.jpg

There's a lot to assume, here. Mostly ..... that whatever (metal, wood, fabric) insert attached (via Velcro???) is gonna produce an "altered sound" that's pleasing.

Without a working model(s) ..... and a nice scientific demo video (like the bearing edge video - that was nice) ..... ah .... the idea kinda falls flat. hen there's a matter of price. Is this gonna be a $100 item? A $300 item. A $500 item?

It might work ..... it might not.;)

Ok. I understand now.

I just went and lined all my drums with heavy duty aluminum foil (off the 300’ roll) and my drums sounded *amazing* and I highly recommend you try it!

DrumLiner1.jpg
I've seen this done before ...
Sounds Like A Drum channel, maybe?

Just simply remove your heads, perhaps unscrew your lugs, apply, and reattach and tune up again. EZ. What's not to like?

Last edited:
Yes that is more in line with what I had in mind. Except not on the outside silly.

I don't believe for a second you did that to one of your drums. You're trying to trick me! You're making fun of me! Waaa!

That's not even a drum pictured! I'm right about that and you know it. It looks like a drinking glass.

I can for sure be tricked but you'll have to do better than that Chris. :p

Apologies if you actually did this to your drum. Wait, I take that back.

Meany!

Just simply remove your drums, perhaps unscrew your lugs, apply, and reattach and tune up again. Simple. What's not to like?
The time involved to switch in/out the material. It’d be best if a Velcro-quick attachment was made.

And it must endured heavy vibrations without *any* noise.

Just simply remove your drums, perhaps unscrew your lugs, apply, and reattach and tune up again. EZ. What's not to like?
No lug removal. There are cutouts in the insert to go around the lug screws. One head off, slide it in, velcro holds it in place.

Back