Matt Garstka Moves To DW

Oak rack toms, Cherry Mahogany floors, Maple kicks.
The fanciest wood mix I've seen Tama offer is simply their blends (birch/buginga, maple/walnut, etc.). Has Tama ever offered different woods within the same kit?

I owned a Design Series kit before getting the collectors. Honestly, I preferred the Design series. I ordered the Collectors with re rings, and that was probably a mistake. The Design series is a great set, at a decent price point.
I'm glad someone else feels the same way.. i have my Design series sitting here for sale and i feel bad bout it.. they have a crazy amount of warmth and are just a joy to play.. my RC's i like more miced but, WAY less unmiced and i find i don't enjoy them as much.. but... i can't get rid of them cause i will never find another set like mine.

This was just posted. He's using a unique build for the kit. Oak rack toms, Cherry Mahogany floors, Maple kicks.

Just saw that yesterday and reminded me of this topic. I love how his kit looks! The tom setup with the 2 bass drum might look weird, but see Virgil Donati use it early 2000's with Steve Vai as well.

Anyway, great setup and really curious about those stacks as well!

I owned a collectors set for about a month, then traded it back to store I bought it through for a Tama kit. The collectors were good drums, but the Tama’s suit me better.
Didn't have anything to do with the amount of $$ saved did it? I know my wife would kill me if I ever shelled out that much money for drums lol.

Last edited:
Didn't have anything to do with the amount of $$ saved did it? I know my wife would kill me if I ever shelled out that much money for drums lol.
It had nothing to do with money, and i only took a loss on the taxes. Nothing against DW, I just prefer Tama Products more.

Back