Drumming regrets

:ROFLMAO:

Would be funny if it weren't so sadly true. :sick:
My tinnitus is pretty bad some days. I think lack of hearing might be better sometimes.

A LOT! I regret not having a work ethic when I was younger, I regret stopping playing for 10 years, I regret wasting my time at uni when I had a 3 years to do nothing but drumming yet I found time to do everything but and I regret all the money I've spent on gear far surplus to the usefulness of my skill level.

A LOT! I regret not having a work ethic when I was younger, I regret stopping playing for 10 years, I regret wasting my time at uni when I had a 3 years to do nothing but drumming yet I found time to do everything but and I regret all the money I've spent on gear far surplus to the usefulness of my skill level.
Damn..sounds like we need to go talk to Dr. Phil together.

I saw a thread in the Off Topic lounge about photographing drummers and it got me thinking: One of my biggest regrets is not documenting my decades long drumming efforts.
So many good shows & moments are lost because I failed to record or photograph/film the event.
With technology as easy and advanced as it is now, I have massive plans to fix this issue.

Anyone here have a drumming regret?

Photography is nice, but it takes alot of time to get nice photographs. Kind of spoils the moment. I find its a balance here. I used to photograph things much more, but recently I'd rather have the moment uninterrupted. Maybe, I'll feel differently later, and wish I had the photos. It also takes alot of time to go through and curate photos though. Also, drum photography is difficult often low light, eg expensive.

Photography is nice, but it takes alot of time to get nice photographs. Kind of spoils the moment. I find its a balance here. I used to photograph things much more, but recently I'd rather have the moment uninterrupted. Maybe, I'll feel differently later, and wish I had the photos. It also takes alot of time to go through and curate photos though. Also, drum photography is difficult often low light, eg expensive.
I'm in the photography ruins the moment camp. If I'm going to take photos, I go out with that express purpose. I'm here to take photos. Any other time I leave my camera at home and snap the occasional iPhone pic. For me photography is an obsessive activity.

I regret not wearing earplugs until it was too late, seriously if you're not wearing hearing protection when you play you should start ASAP. I'm 37 with the hearing of a 93-year-old war vet! Hearos rock and roll series earplugs are great and cheap, I keep them in the little pocket on my jeans that I used to carry drugs in!

I have one gear regret - I sold a Ludwig Black Panther kit for $300, that was the best sounding kit I ever had, I was just obsessed with getting the biggest drums I could and had my eye on a Tama Starclassic kit with a 24" kick. The Tama kit was great, but those Ludwigs were the first "cool" kit I bought.

I regret never learning the actual drum parts to songs, I think it would have really pushed my skills to play outside of my comfort zone. I'm working on it now, but I rarely get a chance to play anymore.

Not having a proper practice routine when I had the space for a kit setup. I haven't had a kit set up at home since 2013 because of space and noise issues and haven't really played seriously in at least that long. I did play a bit for my last job but at the end of the working day, I just wanted to go home.

Maybe the solution is to annoy my neighbours more. After all, what three-bed semi doesn't have a drum kit? My brother's (practically identical) house has a grand piano in the living room...

I have no drumming regrets to speak of. I see regret as an entirely useless emotion. While guilt has value to the extent that it can alert us to moral imperfections and persuade us to reform our improprieties, regret is nothing more than an excuse to dwell upon the past without cultivating the present. In that sense, regret fosters further regret, as we often end up regretting all the attention we've devoted to regret itself.

Regret nothing; look forward to everything. That's the mantra with which I strive to govern my conduct.

I have no drumming regrets to speak of. I see regret as an entirely useless emotion. While guilt has value to the extent that it can alert us to moral imperfections and persuade us to reform our improprieties, regret is nothing more than an excuse to dwell upon the past without cultivating the present. In that sense, regret fosters further regret, as we often end up regretting all the attention we've devoted to regret itself.

Regret nothing; look forward to everything. That's the mantra with which I strive to govern my conduct.
Hmm.....let me sit with this this afternoon. It's inspirational yet I need time to ponder this wisdom.

Zero regrets! Had incredible support from my folks as a kid, had lessons with one of the best, played loads of gigs, got to play with and learn from some amazing players/songwriters, met some lovely people along the way and got to write my own stuff and record with my twin brother in our own band for nearly 20 years! Looking forward to getting back out and playing live regularly in a couple of years when my lad finishes school. Until then, I will play every day and get better cos’ I bloody love it!!:D (y)

I have to say that, although I think we may have some dissimilar opinions in general, I think you and I share a lot of specific opinions in common, and, similar or not, I always appreciate your posts. This one in particular. ;)

I think a meet-up might be interesting, and, potentially dangerous. but likely fun. :D

I regret, as a young man, not continuing to play after I started my career and started my family. Put the gear away for 20 years before starting again. Huge regret.

Bonus regret. Also as a young man, on my first date with the woman who became my wife... Took her to a John Cougar concert. (before he added the Mellencamp back to his name) As I worked in the radio biz at the time, I got backstage passes. We were all standing around, waiting our turn with John, and this guy comes over, shakes my hand and introduces himself, "hi, I'm Kenny". I returned the gesture, and kept up with my gal in looking for the star, not thinking about him at all...I coulda and shoulda had a far better conversation with that guy...sigh.

Back