Great Canopus indeed!

Drum Guy

Over last 3 years accumulated some 20 new snares and I have to say - this 5.5x14 Ash/Poplar I just got and it's def in my top 2! very versatile actually - funk, rock, probably jazz (but I don't)

I can highly recommend Canopus snares - my other one is a 5.5x14 hammered bronze which is superb as well. Just wanted to pass along my excitement at such a great sounding snare...

I ordered it from Canopus website and from start to finish it got to me from Japan within 3 weeks!!! $38 shipping total, and cheap price - like $340 or something - Such quality snares and service - wow...Canopus is SO great.

Attachments

• IMG_5516.jpg
    IMG_5516.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 16
Over last 3 years accumulated some 20 new snares and I have to say - this 5.5x14 Ash/Poplar I just got and it's def in my top 2! very versatile actually - funk, rock, probably jazz (but I don't)

I can highly recommend Canopus snares - my other one is a 5.5x14 hammered bronze which is superb as well. Just wanted to pass along my excitement at such a great sounding snare...

I ordered it from Canopus website and from start to finish it got to me from Japan within 3 weeks!!! $38 shipping total, and cheap price - like $340 or something - Such quality snares and service - wow...Canopus is SO great.
That's awesome! Enjoy it!

I nabbed a Canopus "The Maple" piccolo (14x4) off Reverb and I will confirm-- a drum I thought would probably be a specialty drum is now getting at least as much stand time as my much more expensive Noble and Cooley 14x7 SS Maple. It does EVERYTHING well. Those Canopus snares look like they're not going to be a big deal-- the look is so simple and evokes the early days of the "custom builder" era-- but holy crap do they sound good. I really don't understand it, but I've owned a couple of their drums and played a bunch more and they were all amazing.

Anyway, huge congratulations on your purchase!

I can remember 20 years ago when I first heard about Canopus, I thought they looked boring and unassuming...next. But then I couldn't deny that everything I kept hearing sounded exceptional that I could not ignore no longer, never thought I'd be a diehard fan now. Their concepts make total sense to me now, custom ply thickness/bearing edge/reinforcement to dial in each tom for a drumset to work together plus a low-mass/surface area brass lug to work with the shell tone (unlike some other companies that put way too much on their shell, both weight and surface area). Even in other great sets, sometimes get a 'out of place' tom that is a pain to dial in but never had that here. Their snare wires are great too, always a bunch of details I notice that go into their product. Even the bolt tight washers hold tune much better and are just easier to tune.

it's kinda amazing canopus - this snare is extremely reasonably priced at $340, but canopus sounds as good and in some cases has better richness and body than some of my mega $ snares, whether Tama Star, N&C, Craviotto, even a Brady I had until recently even though all these are GREAT too...it's just my 2 canopus 8 lugs snares (ash and bronze) just seem so well built with full and majestic tone, and the ash is the cheapest snare I own...Hate to be a fan boy but I'm sold.

it's kinda amazing canopus - this snare is extremely reasonably priced at $340, but canopus sounds as good and in some cases has better richness and body than some of my mega $ snares, whether Tama Star, N&C, Craviotto, even a Brady I had until recently even though all these are GREAT too...it's just my 2 canopus 8 lugs snares (ash and bronze) just seem so well built with full and majestic tone, and the ash is the cheapest snare I own...Hate to be a fan boy but I'm sold.
You're absolutely right about Canopus. I recently bought a Canopus The Maple snare, and it's my favorite wood snare drum by far. No other wood snare drum sounds better to my ears (except maybe the Zelkova).

Canopus makes great everything: accessories, drums, etc. Always wanted to get my hands on a Zelkova.
Submitted for your approval...my experience with the Zelkova

I had a Zelkova for a few years. I sold it, one of the few things I've sold. In hindsight, I got it for the construction...it's the only "hollowed out log" type shell I've encountered. So I just had to own one. It looked absolutely stunning to me on the inside. S.T.U.N.N.I.N.G. I wasn't too keen with the outside finish though. Mine was a greenish brown.

After the honeymoon period ended (read: time spent deluding myself) I realized this snare wasn't for me. It sat unused most of the time I had it.

The bearing edges were so sharp. Just way too sharp. That beautiful shell IMO would have sounded way better with more meat on the edges. My bias...I never warmed up to the vertical grain, stave construction sound. I notice a big sonic difference between horizontal and vertical grain. I like horizontal grain the best, but vertical grain, which the Zelkova is, is too short a note, too dry and not wet enough for my palette. I prefer "a little out of control" sounding snare drum.

But hey some will definitely dig that focused sound. It didn't suit me.

I’ve owned many snare drums over the years and I only regretted selling one that I wish I kept. It was the Canopus 5.5x14 Ash snare. It’s really a fantastic drum that’s articulate, fat, and fits right into the mix. I also played the Ash drums as well when they arrived in Maxwell’s some years ago. They sounded awesome. I opted for the Broadkaster kit instead. Sometimes I wish that I chose the Canopus. They just sounded so good. And an incredible tuning range. I think that the wood grain finish kind of steered me away from pulling the trigger on that kit. I have the Canopus 6.5x14 Mahogany snare and it’s another well made, great sounding drum.

Submitted for your approval...my experience with the Zelkova

I had a Zelkova for a few years. I sold it, one of the few things I've sold. In hindsight, I got it for the construction...it's the only "hollowed out log" type shell I've encountered. So I just had to own one. It looked absolutely stunning to me on the inside. S.T.U.N.N.I.N.G. I wasn't too keen with the outside finish though. Mine was a greenish brown.

After the honeymoon period ended (read: time spent deluding myself) I realized this snare wasn't for me. It sat unused most of the time I had it.

The bearing edges were so sharp. Just way too sharp. That beautiful shell IMO would have sounded way better with more meat on the edges. My bias...I never warmed up to the vertical grain, stave construction sound. I notice a big sonic difference between horizontal and vertical grain. I like horizontal grain the best, but vertical grain, which the Zelkova is, is too short a note, too dry and not wet enough for my palette. I prefer "a little out of control" sounding snare drum.

But hey some will definitely dig that focused sound. It didn't suit me.
I agree with a lot of what Larry has said regarding the Zelkova. The only difference is I ended up loving it.

In reading some of Canopus' marketing about the Zelkova it really caught my attention when they reference a "solid block of sound". I didn't know what that meant, but it sounded cool. After I got a Zelkova and lived with it for a while, I put one of my previous snares back on the stand and then I understood what they meant about that.

It seems like Canopus really put A LOT of thought into the design of this drum. It's my favorite snare.

I would definitely like to check out Canopus' sets.

Back