Basic recording- usb mics for iPhone?

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
I am interested in recording myself for my own use to help me track improvement. I don’t own any recording gear except for an iPhone 10 and not planning to spend the money on a pro setup (it ain’t there!). But I would like to get a better capture of the sound than a tiny phone mic can provide. BUT I’m not interested in setting up a mixer etc., so I am thinking of usb mics to use with garage band or some other app. I know it’s really low tech and I won’t get a professional recording. But it’ll be a leap of improvement from my current method.
Anyone have experience and recommendations on using usb mics for this type of use?

All-in-one:

Not all-in-one (requires DSLR and editing software) but produces excellent audio results:

This Tascam allows you to record using the on-board mics, and if you decide to improve the recordings by placing mics on the kit, you have the option.

The cheaper and convenient option is to get a zoom H series, maybe new, maybe 2nd hand. H1 simple stereo, H2 surround, H4 better stereo with option of xlr inputs. Or the Tascam or Edirol equvalents.

All-in-one:

Not all-in-one (requires DSLR and editing software) but produces excellent audio results:

This Tascam allows you to record using the on-board mics, and if you decide to improve the recordings by placing mics on the kit, you have the option.
Thanks for these suggestions, I will explore both!

Thanks for these suggestions, I will explore both!
Be aware that audio recording will require using manual mode for setting the mic pre-amp setting. Using any kind of “auto” mode will not sound good. The Tascam has an on-board limiter, which is very handy. I’m not sure what’s available on the Zoom unit.

You can stick with your iPhone. Shure makes the MOTIV iOS microphone for $150 that does a great job recording audio into your phone. I even got an extension cable, so I can move the mic around independent of where the phone is ($10 on Amazon). If you have a mount for your phone, you can make a decent video by putting your phone in an optimum spot, then run the mic over the drums to get everything evenly.

You can stick with your iPhone. Shure makes the MOTIV iOS microphone for $150 that does a great job recording audio into your phone. I even got an extension cable, so I can move the mic around independent of where the phone is ($10 on Amazon). If you have a mount for your phone, you can make a decent video by putting your phone in an optimum spot, then run the mic over the drums to get everything evenly.
Does it provide manual gain controls?

Back