The mahogany thread

Cmdr. Ross

Platinum Member
My "bar basher" kit is the Gretsch Catalina Club Mod shown here in mahogany. The wrap is gone (as it bubbled real bad in the AZ heat), but I choose that kit specifically because I love that wood and the color & sound is exactly what I was looking for.

I'm 99% sure it's that Luan mahogany typically used for crafts & whatnot as the wood is more pine color rather than the rich brown you'd typically see.
I'm fine with that as it's the sound I was after & I got it.

Do any kits use the rich, brown "old growth" mahogany or is it too hard to get like this article said?

Catalina Club Mod.jpg

My Pearl Sessions kit has two inner plies of African mahogany. It looks "rich and brown." I don't know much about wood though. If I hear it and like it, it's good wood to me. But no, it's the heads, but wait, it's the hoops , but, hold on, the room at sunset undergoes a drop in barometric . . .

I like my Sessions shells regardless of what's going on with them. Some things are better savored than studied.

CommanderRoss, do you have a pic after you removed the wrap? Those are cool looking drums, but I'm curious how they look now.
I'll shoot a few tonight. I did a flat ebony stain & left the hardware gloss. Teak oil on the inside.
+1,000,000
"Some things just are Bob" -me to a kid that asks wayyyyy to many questions
I'm using the "bob" answer from now on! :LOL:

Do any kits use the rich, brown "old growth" mahogany .....
The ones I know of ;)........

Ludwig Legacy Mahogany, DW Collectors Mahogany, A&F Mahogany Club, C & C drums (Player Date, 12th & Vine, and Super Flyer) and Pearl Sessions Studio Select come to mind (currently in production).

Tama had a limited ed. Star in African Mahogany. Gretsch did a Renown Purewood in African Mahogany, and Keller makes a vintage shell using African Mahogany (so any boutique builder can make you one).

The ones I know of ;)........

Ludwig Legacy Mahogany, DW Collectors Mahogany, A&F Mahogany Club, C & C drums (Player Date, 12th & Vine, and Super Flyer) and Pearl Sessions Studio Select come to mind (currently in production).

Tama had a limited ed. Star in African Mahogany. Gretsch did a Renown Purewood in African Mahogany, and Keller makes a vintage shell using African Mahogany (so any boutique builder can make you one).
Quite a larger selection than I thought. Thanks for that info.
With that wood being more & more scarce, I'm sure the price is in the boutique range too.

Quite a larger selection than I thought. Thanks for that info.
With that wood being more & more scarce, I'm sure the price is in the boutique range too.
Well, the Pearl 5 piece, goes for $1869. They did have a 3 piece offering ..... but those seem to be gone. Price goes up from there.

I think the best part of that article is you get what you pay for..

To my ears whenever the grade of mahogany (or species) went UP or more expensive I liked it LESS than the poor man's Luan. But the Luan had to be cared for with nice edges and nicer looking kits helped the Luan become all that it could be. Kind of like make-up on Christine Aguillara.

Do any kits use the rich, brown "old growth" mahogany or is it too hard to get like this article said?
Looks like to have a true old growth drum, one would have to reclaim the wood from a kitchen table or other big piece of old furniture and cut it into staves.

To my ears whenever the grade of mahogany (or species) went UP or more expensive I liked it LESS than the poor man's Luan. But the Luan had to be cared for with nice edges and nicer looking kits helped the Luan become all that it could be. Kind of like make-up on Christine Ag
Leaving Christine and Britney out of the conversation, that would be called putting lipstick on a pig! Luan isn't mahogany, it's a different species..

To my ears whenever the grade of mahogany (or species) went UP or more expensive I liked it LESS than the poor man's Luan. But the Luan had to be cared for with nice edges and nicer looking kits helped the Luan become all that it could be. Kind of like make-up on Christ
Genus... Melaceae .. Genus... Shorea being Meranti.

Leaving Christine and Britney out of the conversation, that would be called putting lipstick on a pig! Luan isn't mahogany, it's a different species..
Then why have the "mahogany" part? Why not just call it Luan?

Back