If you can only have one Snare drum….

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
When I got back into drumming about a year and a half ago I started with a shell kit that was given to me as a gift. Love the kit, but had a cheap steel snare drum which I soon replaced with a Yamaha snare I got from @someguy01 which I use periodically as I like to rotate it with other snares that I have since picked up here and there.
All I ever had in my previous life was one snare drum (I know, I lived dangerously), now I have a couple of vintage Tamas, including a Rockstar and a couple of Artstars as well as a Ludwig. I currently have 3 snare drums in my kit (main, side, and another set up for left handed playing which I am attempting to teach myself…feels like I am 10 years old again lol).

I am not married to any of them except for the Tama Starclassic shown here which I can’t imagine letting go.

If you can have just one snare drum, which one would it be?
EDIT: please include a photo of your main squeeze (or snare drum haha).

Attachments

• 7FC08AEA-4E5E-4F6E-B6D3-2A82C0E0FEEE.jpeg
    7FC08AEA-4E5E-4F6E-B6D3-2A82C0E0FEEE.jpeg
    459.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
When I got back into drumming about a year and a half ago I started with a shell kit that was given to me as a gift. Love the kit, but had a cheap steel snare drum which I soon replaced with a Yamaha snare I got from @someguy01 which I use periodically as I like to rotate it with other snares that I have since picked up here and there.
All I ever had in my previous life was one snare drum (I know, I lived dangerously), now I have a couple of vintage Tamas, including a Rockstar and a couple of Artstars as well as a Ludwig. I currently have 3 snare drums in my kit (main, side, and another set up for left handed playing which I am attempting to teach myself…feels like I am 10 years old again lol).

I am not married to any of them except for the Tama Starclassic shown here which I can’t imagine letting go.

If you can have just one snare drum, which one would it be?
Up until recently I've only had one snare. My dad 1976 Supraphonic.

I still use it as my main snare. I bought my son the premier snare for his kit which rocks, but nothing bests the Supraphonic.

I may get a N&C walnut SS and a black beauty some day though.

Hard to pick one, but at the moment I would go with my 14"x5,5" Tama Starclassic Maple. Seems to do everything I want to, well. And it's versatile enough to fit most places I play. I usually prefer a deeper bronze or brass snare for studio and bigger venues though. But the SC Maple I would say is my most versatile snare at the moment, so I choose that one.

I guess it would have to be the one in my avatar. Ludwig LB417BT Black Beauty. The only one, out of 16, that is personalized with my initials, amongst other scratches and a diamond.

20200602_195908.jpg

Attachments

• JC engraving day2.1.jpg
    JC engraving day2.1.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 10
I don't have this but I could easily be set for life with a 12x5" steel shell w/ 2.3mm tf hoops. Doesn't have to be expensive or anything, that is just my favorite depth/diameter combo, my favorite shell material, and my preferred hoops. Evans 300 snare side w/ pure sound blasters on the bottom and either a Uv1 or calftone up top depending on my mood and situation. Brass or aluminum would be cool as well, same set up otherwise, but I'm fine with steel.

My favorite I ever actually owned was similar but a birch shell and 1.6mm hoops. It recorded great but I like a bit more overtone in a band setting.

If I *had* to pick, it'd of course be my 7x13 Guru walnut segmented. Fortunately, I *don't* have to...

1630179229070.png

Last edited:
If I could only use one it would be the Taye StudioMaple snare that came with my kit. I ordered a different snare when I originally ordered the shell pack assuming the stock snare wouldn't be that good. I was wrong. That stock StudioMaple snare is a fantastic drum for a great price.
Here's one on Reverb right now.

Back