Inexpensive? Yes...but I LOVE THEM

Cmdr. Ross

Platinum Member
Over my time here on the Forum, I've seen many posts about upgrading your drums. Most of us started out on a beater kit that got us through some good times & took a licking. But then opportunity knocked & we upgraded to our "holy grail" kit. One that does everything you could ever dream of & is probably the one you'll keep for life.

This begs the question: Has anyone ever had a mid-level kit that they just loved? One that did the job a higher end kit would do & yet you didn't feel the need to upgrade? One that you take a ribbing for by your friends in the form of, "You still playing on that bar basher? Dude...2021 called, they have a new kit for you." Yet you ignore them because you know what you have is all you need?

No. I’ve gone through a number of high end kits, kept some longer than others, and regretted letting a few go, but I’ve never had that feeling with a mid-level kit. Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever gigged a mid-level kit. I was a well-cared for child.
Edit - correction: I’m playing a DW Design Kit right now. It doesn’t handle like a mid-range kit though. Other than the smaller turret lugs, it handles very well. I don’t really notice a difference between these and my Collectors kit. But my current fun 4-piece basher Kit is my rebuilt Rogers from 1978 - high end drums from long ago.

Attachments

• 752BF262-55C3-433F-B4C7-FFF30C517F62.jpeg
    752BF262-55C3-433F-B4C7-FFF30C517F62.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 9290E20D-F90E-4879-9FFD-079385BCF359.jpeg
    9290E20D-F90E-4879-9FFD-079385BCF359.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 5
  • EB7B734D-8293-4BE8-B9E5-3008EF0CA77C.jpeg
    EB7B734D-8293-4BE8-B9E5-3008EF0CA77C.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 98FF3DB6-0A6E-448C-91D3-78E0090A6F30.jpeg
    98FF3DB6-0A6E-448C-91D3-78E0090A6F30.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I have a first-series Yamaha Stage Custom that I bought in 1999 to celebrate getting out of debt (and before you ask, I did a trade-in and paid the rest in cash). I've since gotten a very nice set of Ludwigs, and will eventually get a brand-new high-end set, but those Stage Customs are actually going out on a gig next weekend - they still sound really good for a $700 kit.

I guess the closest would be a Yamaha Power V Special in the 90's, a kit I played until 2002. But it was originally my fathers kit, only practice and a few school concerts, and when I got to be 18, I bought my dream kit, a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute. When you buy a kit like that so early in your career, it's hard to step down and be satisfied with a mid level kit, knowing what you get with more expensive kits.

Last edited:
I bought this Taye TourPro kit from a guy for $250. (Added the 2nd kick from eBay for about $80). Put new heads on them and absolutely love the way they sound. I used them to record our latest album and I like taking them on the road because they are already dinged up and I don't really have to worry about them getting banged around a little bit like I do with my high end stuff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210823-004509_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210823-004509_Gallery.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 12
Me. I'm utilitarian. I dont want a finish, a wrap is just fine. I dont need the most expensive pedals. My cymbals, minus the Wuhan, were all used.

I play drums. I dont collect them. I dont show them off. I beat the crap out of them with sticks and sweat all over them. I have no desire to own a "studio queen".

Ya - Stage Customs - Good sounding, long-lasting kits and inexpensive. I agree.

I also like some of the less expensive Ludwig kits, but they don't seem to get any respect.
I think it's because when people hear 'Ludwig', they think of the higher priced lines.
I've got a Ludwig Accent CS Custom Elite sitting in my basement, unused. The kid I bought it from beat it to death but I've restored everything but the scratched underside of the bass drum. I really do have to put it together. It's supposed to be a decent kit.

Not so much a kit but I have a Worldmax NOB I paid a whopping £225 brand new that punches far above its weight.

Kit wise I wish I'd hadn't have sold my Pearl Midtown. Those are the ultimate beater kits. I may well grab another one some day.

Not so much a kit but I have a Worldmax NOB I paid a whopping £225 brand new that punches far above its weight.

Kit wise I wish I'd hadn't have sold my Pearl Midtown. Those are the ultimate beater kits. I may well grab another one some day.
If it wasn’t for a 6 month delay and 2 failed orders I too would be the proud owner of a World max NOB! (y) :)

" . . . they have a new kit for you. Yet you ignore them because you know what you have is all you need?"

That encapsulates how I feel about my entire setup:

Snare: Pearl Music City Custom USA

Toms and bass: Pearl Session Studio Select

Cymbals: Zildjian A Avedis

With the above appointments, I can record and gig with equal success. Unless my gear is stolen or damaged, my needs (and wants) are fulfilled. For years to come, heads and sticks will be my only acquisitions. You can tether me to that announcement.

Back