Protection Racket AAA rigid snare case - hardware excess space?

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
I’m looking at getting this snare case:

I have a Pearl Philharmonic PHA 14x6.5” snare, with the snare strainer and all associated hardware on the side of the snare drum.

As stated in another thread, this snare and my Gretsch don’t fit in my Mono 14” snare case because it doesn’t allow for the hardware on the side of the snare.

Does anyone have any experience with the PR AAA snare cases, and could vouch that they allow sufficient space for the hardware of the snare to fit? I don’t want to buy another expensive snare case in which my snares won’t fit because the snare strainer isn’t catered for.

I’m looking at getting this snare case:

I have a Pearl Philharmonic PHA 14x6.5” snare, with the snare strainer and all associated hardware on the side of the snare drum.

As stated in another thread, this snare and my Gretsch don’t fit in my Mono 14” snare case because it doesn’t allow for the hardware on the side of the snare.

Does anyone have any experience with the PR AAA snare cases, and could vouch that they allow sufficient space for the hardware of the snare to fit? I don’t want to buy another expensive snare case in which my snares won’t fit because the snare strainer isn’t catered for.
I have a couple of these in 14" diameter and I would guess your drum wouldn’t fit. Pic is of a Sensitone and it’s snug with the standard SR-150 strainer. Great cases BTW.

1629644959025.jpeg

mhmm. There seems to be a good degree of space around the edge. What makes you think the philharmonic wouldn’t fit?
Again, it’s a guess as I don’t have a Philharmonic strainer to try. But I‘m assuming your drum’s strainer protrudes out farther than the 150? If not, then you’re good to go.

With the drum pictured, the strainer butt and throw off are snug against the wall of the case. I can barely fit a finger between them and when I do it’s super tight and pushes the case out a bit There’s of course, excess space around the majority of the drum because it’s needed to accommodate strainer.

So I’ll amend my guess: It might fit if you squeeze it in but I don’t know if doing that will negatively affect your drum or long-term use of the case.

I hope that’s of some help.

Again, it’s a guess as I don’t have a Philharmonic strainer to try. But I‘m assuming your drum’s strainer protrudes out farther than the 150? If not, then you’re good to go.

With the drum pictured, the strainer butt and throw off are snug against the wall of the case. I can barely fit a finger between them and when I do it’s super tight and pushes the case out a bit There’s of course, excess space around the majority of the drum because it’s needed to accommodate strainer.

So I’ll amend my guess: It might fit if you squeeze it in but I don’t know if doing that will negatively affect your drum or long-term use of the case.

I hope that’s of some help.

Yes it’s very helpful, thank you. I’ve contacted them directly to ask them. This link has some screenshots which highlight the snare strainers on either side:

I have that same case in14 x 7. Like Symbolic Death said, a 15" case for sure. A 14" case....might be too snug with that strainer. That's not a fact, I'm just visually going by how much the strainer sticks out on both sides, and my first hand experience with this case

I would bring the drum to the store and fit it inside a 14" case to see if it's acceptable.

Great case. I like that the lid is attached. I like the fleece on the inside.

Mighty Joker- I have the 14 x 6.5 AAA you mentioned and while I don't own a Philharmonic drum, I placed my Sonor 14 x 6" Prolite with their 'dual glide strainer' to check the fit and while snug it still fits well enough when the case is zip closed. This snare sytem extends out a fair bit though I don't know how much compared to the Pearl system. Not sure if this helps but photos for reference:

AAA-1.jpgAAA-2.jpg

Last edited:
Mighty Joker- I have the 14 x 6.5 AAA you mentioned and while I don't own a Philharmonic drum, I placed my Sonor 14 x 6" Prolite with their 'dual glide strainer' to check the fit and while snug it still fits well enough when the case is zip closed. This snare sytem extends out a fair bit though I don't know how much compared to the Pearl system. Not sure if this helps but photos for reference:

View attachment 107667View attachment 107668

Thanks! That’s really helpful. It’s does look like there’s a fair amount of clearance around the edge.

Unfortunately they don’t offer this case in a 15”, but it does seem they cater for the hardware. The Philharmonic does have some sticky out bits, but not obscenely so (see screenshots on product page.)

If I measure the total diameter including the sticky out bits, would you be able to tell me how that compares to yours, and the case?

I measured my drum. Including the snare strainers on either side, it has a total diameter of about 470ml (about 18.5"). Protection Racket have told me they have a 3" allowance, with a total internal diameter of 17" inches, so it sounds like the drum wouldn't fit, even with this extra allowance. It's a shame, because otherwise it looks like a great case.

I might have to look at custom options.

SKB makes a 5" X 15" square roto-molded hard case for snares. I bet you could custom order a 6.5" X 15" for a reasonable upcharge.

Otherwise Protection Racket does offer a 6.5" X 15" Free Floating soft case: Part #3005-00. You could add some semi-rigid liner/insulation around the interior of the case for added protection.

Last edited:
@Mighty_Joker, you might be interested in Ahead's case for the Rogers DynaSonic. If I recall it is slightly oblong so the snare strainer has a little extra room. The case is also clearanced for the Dyna's snare rail which would give a little more vertical room for your snare with it's 'sticky out bits' on the reso hoop. If you need measurements or photos, I have one at home -- just let me know.

Back