Stage Custom Birch vs. Maple Cohort?

I played 22-13-16 Barton Beech kit , best drums you could ever imagine for sound and quality for $2000
I personally am not liking my Barton beech kit in those sizes. I find it very difficult to tune. It seems to either be overly ringy or choked.

Maybe I'm just too used to maple kits, but I just think this kit should sound way better than it does.

Which heads ?
It had remo cs on toms before and an evans emad on the kick. I switched to aquarian coated response 2 and the super kick 2.
Maybe I'm just not a fan of beech shells? The snare sounded fine, no issues with that. Every other drum is just an absolute pain to deal with.

They do look great on stage and everyone compliments the orange color. That's about the end of my compliments.

Maybe it's the sizes in the rooms I'm playing in that's the bigger issue. It's mostly been a garage and some warehouse type rooms. So the overtones are amplified with the crappy acoustics in these rooms.

I think the 20, 12, 14 configuration might be better for me as I get too loud way too easily. (so I've been told)

I just don't get much time to play around with tuning as I'm rarely actually playing the kit.

Maybe it's the sizes in the rooms I'm playing in that's the bigger issue. It's mostly been a garage and some warehouse type rooms. So the overtones are amplified with the crappy acoustics in these rooms.

I think the 20, 12, 14 configuration might be better for me as I get too loud way too easily. (so I've been told)

I just don't get much time to play around with tuning as I'm rarely actually playing the kit.
The room can make all the difference and a garage or warehouse setting can suck the life out of any drum.

Coated Remo Ambassadors - deep sound yet great attack and clarity , slightly different tone that maple , great clarity - which is all subjective. This kit belongs to my drum teacher
I might try the remo cs again. The aquarium coated resp2 just feels weird unless I'm laying into them pretty good.

The crappy rooms I'm playing in are likely a big reason these drums are a bit unruly.

These are pretty thick heads - might explain why they don't work that well with thinner beech shells. Remo CS or Vintage Ambassadors could be a good middle ground.
I have put some CS Black Dot heads back on. They seem to be fine, but as I live in a condo, I can't really play on my kit until it's gig time. My trial and error window is quite small

These are pretty thick heads - might explain why they don't work that well with thinner beech shells. Remo CS or Vintage Ambassadors could be a good middle ground.
Update. I think I may have finally gotten them dialed in with the remo black dots.

Tuned bottom head tighter, and had the tops tuned a little too low, but they sounded so much better. Hitting them together in that venue was like thunder. I heard some video footage from some of the crowd, and they definitely sounded good.

Maybe I just finally got the tuning right, but these heads just seem to work better.

Side note - literally everyone loves the orange color. It just pops on stage.

Altough the Tama Silverstar is discontinued, I would pick a Tama Silverstar over a YSC... just to compare appels with appels. Other options which come to mind are Mapex Armory, Sonor Aq2 and Tama Superstar.....

Silverstars are birch.
From the first post in the thread, it sounds like he's looking for maple, also from the first post, under $1000.

The Silverstars were nice.
It was pretty much a toss up between those and the Stage Customs,
both birch and both well under $1000, when I was looking at sets back several years ago.

Mapex Armory are birch/maple/birch.
Sonor AQ2 are over $1000.
My mistake in Europe aq2 and PDp CM are around the same price tag....

Indeed. Thomann offers both as shell sets for around 998 euro's

I really was impressed by pdp with wooden hoops. A lot of drums for the buck...

Back