Snaredrum dilemma!

SimSalaBim

Hi

Here is the deal. I am buying new or used snare. I came down to 3 classic rock snares. The thing is I am a little on the budget so I think my limit is around 400€. I am looking at new Black Magic Ludwig 14x6,5 for around 360 Euros. But I also saw 2 very nice deals like Pearl Sensitone Elite Steel for 200€, and offcourse the legendary Supraphonic 14x6,5 for a little over my budget. Supraphonic costs 500€. Supraphonic and Sensitone are used. If anyone has some tips or experiences with those beasts please share. I know I can't go wrong with any of them. Also some other recommendations are welcome in the range of 300-400 Euros (Dollars). Thx.

Stay in budget: Pearl Spend more: supraphonic

This is a huge topic.

The Pearl isn't bad, though.

Aha I forgot to mention also Tama Starphonic came into play. Black Nickel edition. Heard nothing but good things about it. And its 350 Euros.

Supraphonic is a bit of a no brainer, and of course will hold it's value (or increase) if you should ever need to sell.
I've played some fantastic Pearl Sensitone, but never the steel. I think they were always the brass version. Those are excellent sounding and good value.

The DW Collectors black nickel over brass is probably on par with the Black Beauty and some say, better built. Are they available in your area?

Last edited:
Supraphonic. It’s a little more money but it’s a lifetime snare

I'm a big Ludwig fan, but with that said, I've never played a Pearl snare I didn't like. I've never played a steel shell, but I own a Masters Maple snare. Love it.

DW Collectors Series black nickel over brass, like yammyfan said.
Their Collectors thin aluminum is an exceptional snare, too.
I'd save up some more money and buy one of those.
Better strainer and butt plate. Sound just as good as a Supraphonic or Acrolite.

All of the above are of great quality. They will depart in sound, however. Aluminum, brass, and steel possess distinct attributes.

I'm a wood proponent, but of the three snares you've cited, I'd go with the Supra. If I'm headed to a metal shell, I want it to be as dry as possible. In my experience, aluminum is the driest of metals.

You might also check out the Pearl Sensitone Aluminum. Killer drum!

:ROFLMAO: CM beat me by about 3 seconds.
We were racing? I must have missed the starting gun. :)
IMO, brass can be just as ringy, but it can also be a more pleasant or musical ring.
Both can be tamed down if needed.
I second that description. The ring of brass is often warmer and richer than that of steel. In broad terms, brass would be my pick after aluminum, with wood being my pick over both.

I have Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute set and also that snare. Its maple 14x5 I think. Its a decent snare but doesnt have that body that I need. Its too high pitched. Also I lack some good knowledge about tuning but still I think new snare would sound better with that set. I play Rock music mainly. Simple solid grooving nothing fancy. That DW really sounds promising, but still there is something in Ludwigs that surely cant be denied. Its gonna be a hard choice.

I'm just going to throw this out there. But you are looking for a good brass snare and are on a budget, Mapex Sledgehammers can be had at clearance prices right now. They upgraded the BP line and were blowing them out. I got one for a little over $300. I personally think they are better than a Black Magic.

I have Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute set and also that snare. Its maple 14x5 I think. Its a decent snare but doesnt have that body that I need. Its too high pitched. Also I lack some good knowledge about tuning but still I think new snare would sound better with that set.
In terms of a snare's dimensions, "pitch" is more influenced by diameter than by depth. How are you tuning your maple shell? If you're cranking it, try dropping to a medium range. You might be surprised by how much body you can get from a 5" depth.

Had a Black Magic recently. A superb snare & it certainly wouldn't disappoint you. I also have a Supraphonic & that would be my suggestion for you to buy. Haven't heard the Pearl but, they always make fantastic snares & I am quite fond of a steel snare in my Premier 1036 :)

In terms of a snare's dimensions, "pitch" is more influenced by diameter than by depth. How are you tuning your maple shell? If you're cranking it, try dropping to a medium range. You might be surprised by how much body you can get from a 5" depth.
Ok thx. Will experiment a little with it. Yes its pretty cranked. I don't really have good feeling on loose snare head. Rim shots just dont feel good to me and I think its not cutting enough cause we are playing loud.

Back