Small quiet-ish home setup?

nupage

Hi,

I’m a somewhat experienced acoustic drummer, but with no background with electronic drums at all.

What I’m looking for is a minuscule setup, for home use including recording, using sticks mostly, also hihat and kick pedals. So far the Yamaha DTX-Multi 12 seems my best bet. I need the pedals to be fairly quiet - are there any that can be, but also play well?

Will be triggering samples on PC, sometimes iPad, never using inbuilt sounds.

So essentially, a multipad unit with good feel, nice and quiet hihat and kick options .. what would you recommend?

Oh, also wondering if kick pedals for electronic drums need an additional pad, to actually hit. I would prefer not, but if that’s the only way it can be done, so be it.

And I guess, bump? Sorry if that’s not okay to do..? And if my original post was somehow in the wrong, just let me know! I’ll fix it, remove it ... or whatever else I have to do. Thanks.

Or hey, if it’s because I’m ignorant about this stuff, well, yes I am. Never used any of that kind of gear, haven’t even considered it in years gone by.

Multi12 + KU100 beaterless [1] kick + HH65 hat controller.

[1] "...if kick pedals for electronic drums need an additional pad, to actually hit".... nope. i.e. you don't need to use an acoustic drum pedal to hit a pad. Use a beaterless kick, for example, the Yamaha KU100:

1626100851428.png

Or use an acoustic kick pedal and a Trigger Krigg - for example

Thanks so much for that! Very helpful post.

Think I’ll try to track down a Multi12, KU100 and HH65. Cheers!

Interesting thread - got me wondering about getting a beaterless kick for my Roland TD9 as my neighbour below complains about the tapping and I'm sure its the bass drum/ kick.

I see Roland have KT-9 (beaterless pedal) , does anyone know if its compatible with older brains/modules such as the TD9?

I gave up on electronic drums because I couldn't find a high-hat pedal with anything like a realistic response. That was the one deal breaker.

Are any good electronic HH rigs available now?

Interesting thread - got me wondering about getting a beaterless kick for my Roland TD9 as my neighbour below complains about the tapping and I'm sure its the bass drum/ kick.

I see Roland have KT-9 (beaterless pedal) , does anyone know if its compatible with older brains/modules such as the TD9?

*Any* beaterless kick will work. All just £€$0.50 piezos and a bit of rubber. KT9, KT10, KU100, FatKat etc...

Or get a Triggera Krigg as per the videos above --^ and use your acoustic pedal.

Last edited:
I gave up on electronic drums because I couldn't find a high-hat pedal with anything like a realistic response. That was the one deal breaker.

Are any good electronic HH rigs available now?

Never had an issue with any electronic hat I've used over the decades. But obs this is subjective to you - both feel and sounds.

But - Electronic drums are not acoustic drums - two totally different instruments.

My synth doesn't look like, feel like, play like, or sound like a Steinway Grand. Different instrument only sharing a similar basic input method. But the synth can do so much more than be solely limited to pretending to be an acoustic piano.... Same with edrums :)

Electronic drums are not acoustic drums - two totally different instruments.
Yeah, I was hoping I could use an e-kit to practice my acoustic stuff. Everything works well enough - except the high-hat. The electronic hats I've tried are so slow and unresponsive they weren't practical. So now I practice on an acoustic kit with brushes, but that's still kinda loud - and eats up a lot of floor space.

Yeah, I was hoping I could use an e-kit to practice my acoustic stuff. Everything works well enough - except the high-hat. The electronic hats I've tried are so slow and unresponsive they weren't practical. So now I practice on an acoustic kit with brushes, but that's still kinda loud - and eats up a lot of floor space.

What have you tried? Roland / Yamaha are cool. No Alesis (or Medeli-derived) owner like their hats ;)

ps. They do take some personalising. You rock up to one in a music shop late Saturday afternoon and it *will* be bad and won't be setup for your preference and playing style.
pps. I have all types -
1. fixed pad + separate controller pedal
2. fixed hat-stand mounted pad + built-in controller
3. moving hat-stand mounted pad + built-in controller.

I prefer #1. Moving hats are an anachronism, Built-in controllers often have a lower range of movement. Separate controllers are also more flexible on positioning.

Last edited:
*Any* beaterless kick will work. All just £€$0.50 piezos and a bit of rubber. KT9, KT10, KU100, FatKat etc...

Or get a Triggera Krigg as per the videos above --^ and use your acoustic pedal.

ok thanks, the cheapest option seems to be the KU100. Its Yamaha so will it definitely work with a Roland e-kit?

If so, how would the KU100 compare to the KT9? The price difference is considerable!

ok thanks, the cheapest option seems to be the KU100. Its Yamaha so will it definitely work with a Roland e-kit?

If so, how would the KU100 compare to the KT9? The price difference is considerable!

Give 'em a go if you can. Both similar in that it's a piezo under the footboard. KU100 has a single spring, KT9 has two (both non adjustable, but I've seen people replace 'em).

KU100 works up my Roland things. YMMV ;)

I tried the Roland KT9 and KT10 pedals and those were very cool. You ha w to adjust the sensitivity in the module though or they’ll double trigger all the time. But those are worth the $$$.

I've stumbled across "Roland SPD One - Kick" ... these pads looks very versatile. These can be used with feet, wondering if this would be usable with my TD9? It has the attraction of having a lot of applications, not just kick, can be played with hands/ sticks, has various sounds etc ( could use it with my band perhaps - but not as main kick!)

Just thinking it might be an alternative to the KT9

Looks like I could plug it into the "trigger in - Aux" input socket on the TD9 module?

I've stumbled across "Roland SPD One - Kick" ... these pads looks very versatile. These can be used with feet, wondering if this would be usable with my TD9? It has the attraction of having a lot of applications, not just kick, can be played with hands/ sticks, has various sounds etc ( could use it with my band perhaps - but not as main kick!)

Just thinking it might be an alternative to the KT9

Looks like I could plug it into the "trigger in - Aux" input socket on the TD9 module?
It outputs audio. It's a pad + trigger + tome module. Can't plug into a trigger input. Can plug into the audio input.

The KT-9 is just a kick trigger,

Two different things :)

It outputs audio. It's a pad + trigger + tome module. Can't plug into a trigger input. Can plug into the audio input.

The KT-9 is just a kick trigger,

Two different things :)
Right, of course, I see what you mean.

The audio-in appears to be Midi on the TD9, or there's the "mix in" which I plug my smart phone into usually (for backing tracks)

With that in mind, I could find an adaptor so the SPD One could plug in?

MIDI is not audio. MIDI is data.

The SPD is the same as your phone - it's an audio device - it makes audio sounds,

SPD --> Audio cable --> TD9 audio in
or
Phone --> Audio cable --> TD9 audio in

To get both use a mixer.

Phone + SPD --> audio cables --> mixer --> audio cable --> TD9 audio in --> headphones
or better
TD9 + Phone + SPD + (etc) --> audio cables --> mixer -->headphones

---

I think the SPD-One pads are very limited - useful for people who don't have a drum module. (and a lot of money).

Thanks, so the attraction of this for me then is:

1) virtually silent kick (when compared to my bass drum pedal whacking a rubber pad) to hook up to my TD9

2) can use with band to give extra sound options, like cowbell, clap, jingles etc, as can be played with sticks

Downside:

1) the feel of it will be absolutely nothing like a pedal. Even the Roland KT9 looks like it will be better on this front (minus the beater of course)

2) the cost, these are not cheap at approx £200 UK

What would you recommend in terms of a mixer?

Work out the number of input channels you need (so, TD9 L + R, phone L + R etc)
Buy a mixer. Mackie, Yamaha etc good. But all down to your budget. Could get a Behringer if you need - but they don't last as well!

Back