What is your “old relable” snare drum ?

Upon reading all the interesting responses to this thread, I’ve come to the realization that I’ve never once played ANY snare drum I’ve owned for more than one calendar year (at the longest) before I switched it out with another from my collection. That is still true to this day. I still have snares that I’ve owned for 20+ years, but I rotate through them in terms of usage on a consistent basis. I think that based on my interpretation of what I consider to be an “old reliable” snare drum wherein it gets used above all others (if possible), I don’t have one that really fits that criteria.

I truly wonder why that is. Hmmm…

My most recorded, gigged and also my oldest snare, is my trusty 14"x6" Tama Starphonic Bronze (limited edition, made from Meinl bronze). Really sharp, cutting, but still with a body to it. Gets overwhelming at times, hard to control at smaller venues, so I slowly gravitated more towards my maple snare, but I somehow always find a use for the Bronze snare as well. Used it on every recording since 2013, and will probably use it on the upcoming album as well.
Uten navn.png

I'm almost afraid to say "Acrolite" now....😉

But I sure use my "Blacrolite" on a lot of gigs. I like it better than the Supra I had. I also use a 6.5" 8-lug Classic Maple quite a bit.

I'm almost afraid to say "Acrolite" now....😉

But I sure use my "Blacrolite" on a lot of gigs. I like it better than the Supra I had. I also use a 6.5" 8-lug Classic Maple quite a bit.
I'm not afraid to show affection for mine. I have a late 60s 8-lug and a limited edition 10-lug. Both great for different things. In fact, the newer one has gotten more use than any of the other snares that I have.

Keep rockin' your Acro, if it works for you. (y)

Millions and millions of people disagree with you. I'd check that rating system for accuracy.
Not a good counterpoint...should probably never use that again. Here’s why.

Still think Elvis was right ?
want more proof ?
I can provide it.

That is a fabulous drum, all of the upgrades are stunning.

My go to is a fairly recent acquisition- a mint condition Tama Starclassic maple does everything I want extremely well. In fact I play better on this drum 🤥 than any other snare I’ve owned.
Isn’t it something how a great snare really does make us play better?

I’m bringing my Guru segmented padauk out tomorrow for rehearsal at church. I’m excited as it’s been a while since I played it.
Amen brother, may it resound with heavenly choruses delightful to the ear of even the most High.

Not a good counterpoint...should probably never use that again. Here’s why.

Still think Elvis was right ?
want more proof ?
I can provide it.
lol... no thanks! 😁

Led Zeppelin is one of the most popular rock bands of all time and the Ludwig Acrolite is one of the best selling snares of all time. These are the facts of the case, and they are undisputed.

Last edited:
Reactions: I-P
Upon reading all the interesting responses to this thread, I’ve come to the realization that I’ve never once played ANY snare drum I’ve owned for more than one calendar year (at the longest) before I switched it out with another from my collection. That is still true to this day. I still have snares that I’ve owned for 20+ years, but I rotate through them in terms of usage on a consistent basis. I think that based on my interpretation of what I consider to be an “old reliable” snare drum wherein it gets used above all others (if possible), I don’t have one that really fits that criteria.

I truly wonder why that is. Hmmm…

the only thing that has kept me from doing this is being poor!!

but I also own 34 cymbals that go in and out of rotation, so I feel like that is where my "signature sound" comes from (and my money goes)

also, I feel like there is way more variety in cymbal sounds than snare sounds, so if i am going to sink money into a "sound bank", I would rather it be cymbals

also, I feel like there is way more variety in cymbal sounds than snare sounds, so if i am going to sink money into a "sound bank", I would rather it be cymbals
Agreed. Most of my equipment budget goes towards cymbals, too.

I think having one good steel, one brass, one aluminum and one good wood snare covers pretty much all of your bases. I hope so because that's my strategy.

lol... no thanks! 😁

Led Zeppelin is one of the most popular rock bands of all time and the Ludwig Acrolite is one of the best selling snares of all time. These are the facts of the case, and they are undisputed.
Just to be clear . I’ve never said the acrolite is a bad drum , just grossly over rated. I own two and with all the cheap choices nowadays, you can get a far better snare.
As for zeppelin, I own several of their recordings , however , I could live the rest of my life with out hearing them again.

Oh my, that one sentence has the potential to be explosive 💣

A variety of sizes of Zildjian A’s is all anyone needs for a classic quality cymbal sound :).

With snare drums there is such a wide variety of shell materials, dimensions, hardware, manufacturers, build quality, etc. for unlimited variety of sounds.

Most reliable & versatile drum I own? This heavy behemoth right here!

SJC Black nickel over Brass (6.5” x 14”)

Attachments

• C54EB41F-01DA-40BE-8BBC-1D7D7B191EBC.jpeg
    C54EB41F-01DA-40BE-8BBC-1D7D7B191EBC.jpeg
    512.4 KB · Views: 4
My go to snare is pointed badge era supra 5 by 14 What I love most about it is I got it in a pawn shop for 50 bucks a couple years ago. I've never owned a really high end snare though. Right now I have a 5 by 14 brass ludwig rocker , a 6 1/2 by 14 Yamaha tour custom wood from 1988 and a 6 1/2 by 14 steel Yamaha from the same era.

Oh my, that one sentence has the potential to be explosive 💣

A variety of sizes of Zildjian A’s is all anyone needs for a classic quality cymbal sound :).

With snare drums there is such a wide variety of shell materials, dimensions, hardware, manufacturers, build quality, etc. for unlimited variety of sounds.

probably not that explosive, because I hope I inferred that it was my own opinion (I feel that...)

but to my ears, it is harder for me to hear the differences between snares than cymbals, because the tunings of the heads presents more random variables from drum to drum...sometimes taking the shell materials, dimensions, hardware, manufacturers, build quality, etc out of the picture for my ear. My 5.5x14 metal Supraphonic sounds exactly like my friends 6.5x14 Tama Superstar maple snare - high pitched Stewart Copland esque sound.

I have a Remo Coated Ambassador batter and Remo Ambassador Hazy snare side head. He has an Aquarian Hi Velocity batter head, and a clear Aquarian snare side (don't know the exact model)....same sound.

BUT, he has a 90's era Zildjian 18" Low China, and I have a 90's era 18" high China, and they definitely sound different...there are no outside parameters that will make those sound the same

Back