Your Paiste Cymbal Rig

Neal Pert

Silver Member
I get the sense from reading comments here that some of you are very serious Paiste nerds. So hey-- which models do you use, and which are your favorites?

Mine: Masters Series
22” Dark Ride 2566g
22” Swish 1958g
21” Dry Ride 2294g
20” Dark Crash Ride 1770g
18” Dark Crash 1304g
16” Dark Crash 938g
14” Dark Hi Hats 734/1166g

10” PSTX Swiss Splash 248g
8” Signature Splash 144g

I keep all of these cymbals set up and swap out the rides depending on the band/gig. Will also swap out the Swish and 16" Crash.

I REALLY like all of these cymbals a lot, but I think the 22" Dark Ride and the 20" Dark Crash Ride are my faves.

A couple different setups I've been enjoying are:

14" Sig Dark Crisp top HH / Heavy Twenty series bottom
18" Sig. Fast Crash
18" Sig. Dark Energy Crash
20" 602 Modern Essential Ride
20" Masters Dark-Crisp Ride
22" Sound Creation Dark China

14" Twenty HH / Sig. Dark Crisp Bottom
18" Traditionals Thin Crash
17" Sig. Full Crash
21" Twenty Ride
22" Traditionals Swish

Last edited:
I REALLY like all of these cymbals a lot, but I think the 22" Dark Ride and the 20" Dark Crash Ride are my faves.

The Masters series rides all sound so impressive. I’ve got a Mellow Bluebird and a 19” Blue Label 602 Medium. The 602 is unlike anything else I’ve heard — very unique. I’ve had my eye out for other older Paistes, like pre-serial 602s and Sound Creations. Someone on DFO has discussed a 22” 404 ride as a surprisingly nice cymbal… Lots of great options out there.

My current setup:

Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hi hats
Paiste Giant Beat 18" Multi
Paiste 2002 10" Splash
Paiste Giant Beat 20" Multi
Paiste 18" PSX Swiss Thin Crash

Extras:
Paiste 21" Twenty Ride
Paiste 19" 2002 Thin Crash

IMG_4458.jpg

Last edited:
I used to be Paiste guy. The only ones I have left are 13 inch Alpha Medium hats. Peace and goodwill.

Paiste nerd here. I have a pile of 'em that I pick and choose from depending on gig, venue, mood or whatever other whims and fancies cross my tiny little brain.

99% of the time I'm doing my duo gigs, in which I run:
15" Light Dark Hats
21" Light Dark Ride w/2 rivets

Played a large festival gig a couple of weekends ago that called for something a bit beefier, so I ran:
17" Trad Thin Crash over 17" DE Crash (my Steve Jordan copycat hats)
19" Sig Fast Crash
21" Sig Silver Mellow Ride
20" Sig Fast Crash

Another favorite rig includes:
The Steve Jordan hats
19" Masters Extra Thin
22" Trad Light Ride
20" Masters Extra Thin
22" Masters Swish

What I use depends on the gig, but I‘m still loving the sound of the PST-X series.

After a recent recording:
16” PST-X hats
14” PST-X flanger (?)
16” PST-X crash
17” Sig Fast Crash
20” Sig Mellow Ride
14” PST-X trash hats
18” PST-X crash

(No toms to eliminate sympathetic vibrations. It really helps clean up the sound in the OH mics.)

F5967A60-C83E-452C-B9F9-D423A43ADA7E.jpeg

What I use depends on the gig, but I‘m still loving the sound of the PST-X series.

After a recent recording:
16” PST-X hats
14” PST-X flanger (?)
16” PST-X crash
17” Sig Fast Crash
20” Sig Mellow Ride
14” PST-X trash hats
18” PST-X crash

(No toms to eliminate sympathetic vibrations. It really helps clean up the sound in the OH mics.)

View attachment 105582

I've thought of going deep on those, too. Especially at those prices! Super-cool instruments.

16" 2002 Thin Crash (after testing through a drum store and because of proper volume)
18" 2002 Thin Crash (same)
10" 2002 Splash (to follow the concept, was a blind purchase, not too satisfied but works)
22" Twenty Full Ride (the predecessor was more awesome but I killed it)
14" 2002 Heavy HiHat (used, bought after listening online through the Paiste web site)

DriversSeat.jpg

MyPaiste2002fam.jpg

My 2002s:
  • 20" ride
  • 19" crash
  • 18" crash
  • 17" crash
  • 16" crash
  • 14" Sound Edge hi-hats
Would still like to get a few splashes, and maybe thin 17" and 18" crashes and perhaps a larger ride and maybe some 15" or even 13" hats...but for now I'm pretty darn happy.

(Also, highly intrigued by some of the PST-X crashes — dig the sound, love the look, and the price is awfully sweet...)

Here's my current Paiste setup:

15" Signature Sound Edge Hi-Hats
16" 2oo2 Crash
17" 2oo2 Crash
18" 2oo2 Crash
19" 2oo2 Crash
21" Signature Dark Full Ride

Someday I'd like to add a 10" 2oo2 or Signature Splash, and maybe a 20" 2oo2 Novo China.
I've never had a Splash or a China cymbal on a kit before, so they would be a new addition to my drumming soundscape. :)

Only within the last year did I switch to an all Paiste set up. I first bought:

15” Masters Dark hats. (Really good, but some days they felt and sounded a bit too trashy for my tastes.)
17” Masters Dark crash (Records beautifully, but I needed a bit more punch for live needs.)
21” Signature Ride (No designation on the ride for series or model. On the thicker side, but more versatile to me than like a 2002, which I don’t care for that series.)

Those first Paiste cymbals really whet my appetite and I went full bore and purchased what is now my current live set -up:

15” Dark Energy Hat. (Big fan, but sometimes wish they weren’t as chunky sounding but they record beautifully.)
17” Dark Energy Crash (One of my favorite crashes of all time from ANY brand.)
18” Dark Energy Crash (Such an interesting combo of glassy and trashy…)
18” PST-X Swiss Thin Crash (Really dig this thing, but wouldn’t go with a full set for live purposes in my current situation. I use the hell out of it. All the best bits of a china without it being a china cymbal.)
21” Dark Energy Mark II Ride (For a slightly thicker ride than I’m used to, it plays very well and is quite nuanced, which still surprises me. Thought I was going to hate the thing, but I’ve had if for 6-8 months now and it hasn’t left my set up. Even recorded an entire album with it and only switched it out for one song.)
10” Dark Energy Splash (Bought it the same day as the DE ride above, but I still haven’t figured out where to mount it on my kit! I’ve got the little cymbal arm for it an everything!)

Coming primarily from the Zildjian world for the previous 30 years of playing, I really enjoy what Paiste brings to the table. No gongy undertones, beautiful decay, glassy but not brittle sounding. Consistency as another HUGE thing for me. I’m actually going to get a set of 602’s for more variety in my arsenal. (Still undecided which 602, Classic or Modern Essential. Maybe get a mix of both.)

PAISTE....

2002 20” med ride
2002 18” med crash
2002 16” med crash
2002 14” heavy hats
2000 16” sound reflections thin crash

Would like to pick up a 22” Darker sounding ride or crash/ride...recommendations?

And some 2002 splashes or pstx splash/effects cymbals . Gotta go look and see / hear what goes well with the 02’s . Recommendations ?

Back