Evans EMAD Coated or GMAD for Deep-Sounding 22" Kick(Batter)?

So does anyone have experience with felt strips and no any "proper" methods to get the most evenly dampened sound? Might an evenly dampening felt strip be placed closer to the center? I don't even know if I want the sounds evenly dampened. Using moon gels, I've always assumed that having multiple pieces equidistant from each other was the best way to make sure the entire drum is evenly dampened. Is that about right?

Do coated GMADs not exist?

What do you all prefer? How might you compare it to an Evans EQ3 coated batter head?
I've used felt strips on Ambassador heads. They work best off center and a bit looser (not overly stretched). PS3 still controls the highs better and less futzing around with the felt strips. Haven't tried the Remo with them built in though.

Using the Kelly SHU, how does one connect the cable to the mic? Do you have to make a set fixture and keep the mic cabled up all the time?
You can feed it out of the vent hole and wire up to the mic connecter internally, or cut a very small hole closer to the edge for the cable end to fit through, then use a rubber grommet to seal up. It'll have a slight dampening effect, but you won't get any noise transfer across the cable. That's what I plan to do.

I've used felt strips on Ambassador heads. They work best off center and a bit looser (not overly stretched). PS3 still controls the highs better and less futzing around with the felt strips. Haven't tried the Remo with them built in though.
You mean the PS3 work better than the EMADs + GMADs or the EQ3? I don't mind futzing with anything because I feel like I can have more control over the sound. I don't know, the EMADs or GMADs are still winning me over between the option of adding one or the other (or both) dampening rings as it'd give me more overall control. Sounds like the EMAD with one of the rings would be the closest to the PS3 as the 10ply head will have better attack and the dampening ring will dampen the perimeter like the dampening ring on a PS3 would. Thanks for you all your insight though.

There’s one way to be certain. Try them and see. The most expensive heads to experiment with, which is a bummer, but it’s the only way I was convinced of the right one for me. Ultimately, it’s the only thing that matters

There’s one way to be certain. Try them and see. The most expensive heads to experiment with, which is a bummer, but it’s the only way I was convinced of the right one for me. Ultimately, it’s the only thing that matters
This is ultimately the answer IMO. Flip a coin and buy one, put it on and try it.
I have a theory that each kick has a magic head combination that makes it sing.
When I got my current kit I bought a few kick heads (PS3, SKII, EMAD) and tried each of them until I found a sound I liked best.
My vote would be to start with the EMAD - it's a really good kick head.

This is ultimately the answer IMO. Flip a coin and buy one, put it on and try it.
I have a theory that each kick has a magic head combination that makes it sing.
When I got my current kit I bought a few kick heads (PS3, SKII, EMAD) and tried each of them until I found a sound I liked best.
My vote would be to start with the EMAD - it's a really good kick head.
You guys are both right, I just have to try it. I think I'll try the EMAD first and then if I need even more dampening or anything I can do that myself. I hope it works out the best. I have two albums I need to record, both fairly pop-rock oriented though there is some variety as well. I think the EMADs would be the bets choice for this. Thanks for all your words!

I was also considering between EMAD clear and EMAD coated, but I think the clear version is more of a "blank slate" to work with in terms of dampening and ITB processing.

I used the clear emad for a long time and really liked it. Switched to aquarian SKII and wasn’t blown away…then I added an Aquarian regulator reso head and holy crap I love it. It’s not overly muted like I expected…very warm sounding with great resonance.
Thought I’d put that out there as an option

I used the clear emad for a long time and really liked it. Switched to aquarian SKII and wasn’t blown away…then I added an Aquarian regulator reso head and holy crap I love it. It’s not overly muted like I expected…very warm sounding with great resonance.
Thought I’d put that out there as an option
Thanks for that, but you further convinced me to go with the clear EMAD by saying you really liked it lol. What type of music did you play with it?

Back