Why I dislike certain drum owners

Seems to me that if you buy something with the question of what the re-sale value is, you aren't totally sold on the object. Somewhere, in the back of your mind, you are looking for an out, incase you find later there is something you don't like. I drilled my virgin Renown bass drum so that it met my current needs. I don't now and didn't then, think about who was going to bash me for "ruining" a bass drum. It's altered, sound is the same, and it is still a bass drum that prevnets at least one stand or a rack.
All due respect Mr. Moderator, but this is hands down the stupidest statement I have heard so far today.

Who here has sold anything aside from real estate for an actual profit?

Cars - lose value instantly unless you have a hemi 'cuda in storage you bought new and are willing to sell at auction.
Drums - unless you bought that Slingerland kit new in 1950 whatever, you're not gonna make a profit. No one is right side up in their drum kit.
Motorcycles - just like cars, same scenario applies
Toys - rare that you'll make a profit unless you're a serious collector and then, that's your whole gig. I had a friend that dealt in rare collectible toys, he still had a day job to pay the bills.
I've sold plenty of vehicles and equipment for more than I paid, but also put in a fair share of new parts. Once my time is factored in at an average labour rate, I lost money.
The ROI/resale argument is just plain stupid. Almost no consumer good increases in value over time with use. Not even someone's precious DW collectors series set they bought from John Good himself and had signed by God.

Hopefully we can all agree that this type of gear snobbery is not limited solely to DW owners. Try putting an aftermarket tom mounting system on any maker’s drums, post about it on said maker’s fanboy FB group, and the snobs will lose their sh!t.
This reminded me of one time when I accompanied a friend to get strings for his Ephiphone Les Paul... The GC store had an actual Les Paul identical to my friends guitar (which he had modded). He plugged the original Les Paul and then his guitar to the same amp with the same settings ( his guitar a $600 but with $200 worth of mods.. mostly better pickups) sounded (noticeable) better than the $3000 Les Paul. Any guitar snob would've gone for the Les Paul and not even bother to consider the "lesser" brand. I see the same happening with drums and drum hardware. I saw and heard what smart mods can do to an instrument so I am not opposed to improvement mods as long as they are not limiting the original intended functionality only enhancing it.

Seems to me that if you buy something with the question of what the re-sale value is, you aren't totally sold on the object. Somewhere, in the back of your mind, you are looking for an out, incase you find later there is something you don't like.

Just because you're considering selling something doesn't mean you were thinking about selling it when you bought it. I don't hold on to everything I own for my entire life. Things get sold for all kinds of reasons.
How's the "resale value" on that heavily modified instrument, I wonder?

LOL, I'm gonna hack up my Strat this evening because obviously it will be worth what EDDIE VAN HALEN'S is.

Although that's not what I said at all, have at it.

Maybe I misunderstood, I certainly wouldn't have "attacked" you or intentionally misrepresented what you posted. We're all friends here, at least I am.
But I mean come on, they're talking about modifying / mixing drum parts and you bring up EVH's Frankenstat and resale value . . . . . . . . I don't really see where I was so out of line 🙃

No you didn't attack me. You attacked an argument I didn't make. Here's the question I prefaced that comment with:

Isn't experimentation part of the artistic process?

EVH looked at what the guitar companies were offering and decided they didn't fit his needs, so he put a bunch of different stuff together to make something uniquely his own. He wasn't thinking about "resale value." He was thinking about making his instrument work for him the way he wanted. This was surely part of the creative process that led his distinctive sound and playing style, as well as his signature visual style (paint job). The value of the instrument mainly has to do with an artist pursuing his creative vision, not factory specs. This tendency to tinker is also why he's a patent holder. I wonder how many other patent holders got their ideas by modifying existing products? A lot, I bet. This is not to say that everyone who alters their gear will achieve Van Halen level success, but if it simply makes the instrument work better for them, then it's worth it, imo. Point is, limiting yourself to corporate approved specs can limit you as an artist, and diverting from them could lead to unexpected rewards, not "hack your strat and it will be worth as much as EVH's." That's a huge leap.

Last edited:
Who here has sold anything aside from real estate for an actual profit?

Cars - lose value instantly unless you have a hemi 'cuda in storage you bought new and are willing to sell at auction.
Drums - unless you bought that Slingerland kit new in 1950 whatever, you're not gonna make a profit. No one is right side up in their drum kit.
Motorcycles - just like cars, same scenario applies
Toys - rare that you'll make a profit unless you're a serious collector and then, that's your whole gig. I had a friend that dealt in rare collectible toys, he still had a day job to pay the bills.
I've sold plenty of vehicles and equipment for more than I paid, but also put in a fair share of new parts. Once my time is factored in at an average labour rate, I lost money.
The ROI/resale argument is just plain stupid. Almost no consumer good increases in value over time with use. Not even someone's precious DW collectors series set they bought from John Good himself and had signed by God.
I guess we all have different experiences.
I have made a profit on every Harley I owned since 17 years old except the one I have now. I'm 64.
I have made money on every gun I have sold except one.
I have made money on a lot of cars I owned in my day, not everyone, but the ones that counted. Pontiac Grand Prix, 66' Chevelle, 70' Chevy Malibu, 66' MGB, Datsun 240Z, 70' El Camino.
High end knives I have bought and sold.
I drove all those cars, rode the motorcycles for years until sold, shot all the guns.
I have machine shop equipment that goes up in value as the years go on.

I did not set out to make a profit on any of the items, except the knives.
But, I like to by things that are nice (too me), and will hold some value. I don't care if they don't make a profit, its a perk, but I do like to get something back on my investment so I can move on in a better position to buy the next item.

Yes, I work on my own stuff. No, I don't put a dollar value on my spare time. Its spare time. If I can spend it saving myself some money instead of parked in front of the tv, it is worth it. I've been tinkering in my shop most of my life. I enjoy it. It keeps me out of jail.

All due respect Mr. Moderator, but this is hands down the stupidest statement I have heard so far today.
I'll respect your opinion even though you didn't respect mine. And adding "all due respect" doesn't make it so. Real estate is something that this is understood. How is the housing market? OK, but drums, I'll stand by my stupid statement.

Drums are meant to be played. If you need to mod to make them comfortable for you go for it. Sometimes that mod can make all the difference. Funny enough, I have a post on here about how the install of the mount at issue in Bo’s post on my Gretsch Brooklyn totally changed my opinion of the kit for the better.
If the mod makes you play more it was worth it.
I bought a Gretsch kit with a virgin kick, and I am kicking myself (pun intended) for not having drilled it and put some kind of mount there. I've never been a fan of isolation mounts, and somehow I allowed myself to be talked into keeping this kit undrilled as far as mounting hardware goes.

I'll respect your opinion even though you didn't respect mine. And adding "all due respect" doesn't make it so. Real estate is something that this is understood. How is the housing market? OK, but drums, I'll stand by my stupid statement.
So now you were talking specifically about drums. Ok. Because you said buy 'something". I never mentioned real estate, so I don't know how that figures into this discussion.

And, I was giving you "all due respect" trust me.

Well....that's not exactly what I was saying. I'm not a collector or into vintage stuff.
But if I found something I really wanted, top-end or vintage, or whatever, and felt that I needed to modify to suit me, I would do it.
If at some point I sold it and had to take a loss on it, I would accept that.

I would also expect to take some flack about it, if it was a rare vintage set. Some mods can't be undone.
Extremely unlikely that I would ever get a set like that.
But if I did, and modified it in a way that can't be undone, I probably wouldn't make a post about it. :p
I meant the over reaction. Sorry I wasn't clear. The rest of comments are my opinion.

I bought a Gretsch kit with a virgin kick, and I am kicking myself (pun intended) for not having drilled it and put some kind of mount there. I've never been a fan of isolation mounts, and somehow I allowed myself to be talked into keeping this kit undrilled as far as mounting hardware goes.
It's your set, drill it if you really want to, just don't $ell ll it..

I bought a custom shop tele cheap from a guy who installed a Bigsby then removed it , he decided to sell it for whatever reason. I filled the holes covered them with pin striping and then discovered it's a Dirty little Monster.. I don't plan on selling it soon it's Killer , sometimes the best instruments have Scars..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never bought a piece of musical gear with the idea that I am going to sell it or get rid of it

I think that comes from growing up poor. We were always taught that when you get something, you use it until it is unusable...then you duct tape it. Especially if it is something considered "upper end".

With this in mind, I research the hell out of a product before I lay out money for it...with drums and everything else mostly.

The only activity that I "buy for possible increased sell bac kvalue" is sports cards...and I don't really even do that that much. I collect cards to becasue of memories of the game, and players. I pretty much hoard cards honestly. I have many, many valuble cards, but do not plan on getting rid of them yet.
Too funny. I sold off some sports cards to finance my latest and final set purchase.

I thought we agreed we dislike all drum owners-not just certain ones?
I loathe most of you (wink, wink)-in my best Grinch voice.
Just because you all play drums so it's nothing personal. Most of you are affable enough-but still you play drums.
But most of you have lots of opinions-more of that than I've seen playing drums actually the more I think about it.
Which I hate opinionated people so another reason to loathe drummers.
Which that's just my opinions as I sit self-loathing from empathy. Damn drummers are bane of society.

Back