Which cymbal bag should I get?

I've got two very decent cymbal bags, but I think I'm just gonna use my hard case from now on. I'm too scared of drops.

After I get some stuff paid off, I'm thinking about getting one of these as soon as I can find one used:

Last edited:
I've got two very decent cymbal bags, but I think I'm just gonna use my hard case from now on. I'm too scared of drops.

After I get some stuff paid off, I'm thinking about getting one of these as soon as I can find one used:

$350 for a cymbal case? That secures with plastic latches?

I had a hard Zildjian case. It was clunky to use. I always thought that the handle should be a part of the half that holds the cymbals, not the lid. I had an SKB and it was even worse. Way too big, and it didn't hold enough cymbals for my liking. Good protection, bad ergonomics.

I like the zippered bag thing now. It's just easier to extract cymbals. As long as the bottom of the bag is stiff and protected, I'll take the bag. Not the cheap under-designed bags.

I like the bicycle tire idea

Sure, the case looks bulletproof.....but it takes a lot longer to get your cymbals in and out of that thing. That is the main complaint I have with my Zildjian cymbal vault. It takes way longer to loosen and tighten the center bolts and get at the specific cymbals I want.

What kind of drops are you worried about? These quality soft cases are more than enough to protect against drops, wouldn't you say?

What kind of drops are you worried about? These quality soft cases are more than enough to protect against drops, wouldn't you say?

I don't know. I have way too much money in cymbals that I travel with to put them in a bag. If I was traveling in just my truck, a bag would be fine; however, I travel with a trailer with all of the PA, amps, etc. I'd be afraid to keep them in a bag with all of that stuff.

I had a hard Zildjian case. It was clunky to use. I always thought that the handle should be a part of the half that holds the cymbals, not the lid. I had an SKB and it was even worse. Way too big, and it didn't hold enough cymbals for my liking. Good protection, bad ergonomics.

I like the zippered bag thing now. It's just easier to extract cymbals. As long as the bottom of the bag is stiff and protected, I'll take the bag. Not the cheap under-designed bags.

I like the bicycle tire idea
The biggest flaw i see with any type of cymbal case that lays down to use it is who the hell is that designed for? A roadie? Don't know about you guys but at gigs, I put my cymbals on last and to do so, i sit on my throne, and i lean my bag on the closest wall if its within reach or more often than not, on my leg and slide my cymbals out upwards and put them where they go. If the case is laying down, i need to somehow make room for that out front somewhere among the gear ( not where i usually play) and then make my way around my kit and put my cymbals on? not the best idea for a gigging drummer. I could see them for flights but not 3 night a week.

The biggest flaw i see with any type of cymbal case that lays down to use it is who the hell is that designed for? A roadie? Don't know about you guys but at gigs, I put my cymbals on last and to do so, i sit on my throne, and i lean my bag on the closest wall if its within reach or more often than not, on my leg and slide my cymbals out upwards and put them where they go. If the case is laying down, i need to somehow make room for that out front somewhere among the gear ( not where i usually play) and then make my way around my kit and put my cymbals on? not the best idea for a gigging drummer. I could see them for flights but not 3 night a week.
That perfectly sums up why I don't like hard cymbal cases for local gigs. In addition to taking longer, it also requires a large area to unpack.

Some of the gigs I play are on small stages, and I don't want to sprawl the case on the floor in front of the drums (getting in the way of other musicians who are trying to set up).

So, even after all your input, I was still on the fence. Until today.

My decision was just made easier when I found this Mono bag in mint condition for $145 and free shipping. A like-new bag for $45 less than retail, nice!

This will be a bag I'll use for decades...a buy once, cry once type of deal.

I'll let you all know my impressions when it arrives. Thanks to everyone for your input!

hb2HJes.png

PieSafe Leather Cymbal Bags. Heavy duty YKK zipper. Custom made to your specs. The last cymbal bag you'll ever own.

PieSafe Leather Cymbal Bags. Heavy duty YKK zipper. Custom made to your specs. The last cymbal bag you'll ever own.

Talk about buy once cry once...wow! Years ago I saw a percussionist for the Virginia Symphony with an old weathered stick bag that reminds me of this. I've always wanted something like that that only gets cooler with age.

When I hit it big, I'll get one!

Talk about buy once cry once...wow! Years ago I saw a percussionist for the Virginia Symphony with an old weathered stick bag that reminds me of this. I've always wanted something like that that only gets cooler with age.

When I hit it big, I'll get one!

It is a classic case of you get what you pay for. The weakness of some cymbal bags is that the zipper fails which necessitates yet another purchase. Sometimes the "cheapest" purchase is to bite the bullet, buy once and get something that will last a lifetime.

Back