Seating in front of a kit for the 1st time (Alesis Nitro Mesh), total beginner question

Have you checked that the leads are connected to the right terminals? And pushed right in! (half way in can reverse the signal)
Your symptoms suggest something being reversed perhaps? (A noise when releasing the pedal)

Ps. 'pedal held down' and hihat hit with a stick should be a metallic 'tapping' sound.
'Pedal released' and hihat hit with a stick should be a noisy splashy cymbal sound.

I think my description was not really good, I do have a normal behaviour of the pedal if I keep it pressed or released, with normal sounds for the corresponding closed or opened hi hat positions.

What I don't have consistently is the chick and splash sounds, I can make them maybe 60 or 70% of the time only and when I do them the pedal makes a loud mechanical noise when released (but this mechanical noise when released is exaclty the same on the above videos so I'm assuming this part of my issue is "normal").

In the meantime I've contacted Alesis and they asked me to send them a video record of the inconsistent chick and splash sounds, so now I'm trying to figure how I'm going to do that considering I don't have speakers connected to the drum kit.

In the end if they cannot solve the issue I think I'm just going to live with it for now. It doesn't seem to be really an issue for a complete beginner like me and the day I become more proficient I can still move to a better kit or upgrade this one with a real hi hat stand

I also ordered a Trigerra kick pedal Trigger as my neighbour was complaining about the noise from the bass pedal

I've been playing on the Alesis Surge for two years. The hi-hat pedal is a challenge. It does have two different sounds as stated above.
It will be that last technique you will master on the kit, because of the challenge and most people are right-footed.

The kit is great, but eventually, you will want a better base pedal. The manual that comes with these kits are lacking. I had to google search for a more detailed one. If your interested I can attach the one I found.

I've been playing on the Alesis Surge for two years. The hi-hat pedal is a challenge. It does have two different sounds as stated above.
It will be that last technique you will master on the kit, because of the challenge and most people are right-footed.

The kit is great, but eventually, you will want a better base pedal. The manual that comes with these kits are lacking. I had to google search for a more detailed one. If your interested I can attach the one I found.
Thank you for your insights, if the manual you mention is different than this one I posted above (https://demonicsweaters.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/aw_DD512_Manual_G11_110928.pdf) then I would definitely be interested to have it

Thank you Doreamon, I can confirm I've read the manual but didn't realize the "S-S Spash" setting could actually helps to solve my issue until after I read your post, like I mentioned I'm totally new to drumming and still pretty overwhelmed by the quantity of settings I can make and all the acronyms, working my way through it slowly.

Thank you for pointing out these videos, this is very helpful. In the first video I think he adresses the exact issue I have (even though he's referring at it as "foot only" operation of the pedal). Unfortunately my pedal design is different from the one shown on the video and it seems like they removed the screw that he uses to adjust it.

On the second video I can confirm the loud sound my pedal produces is exactly the same we can hear on the video so I guess this is normal and I will have to try to find a way to alter it. On the other hand he is able to produce much more consistent and regular sounds with the pedal that I'm able to even after trying to adjust the Splash settings so it might still worth to contact Alesis when the kit is still warranty. If I can ask another question: what are the 2 different sounds he is playing with the 2 different feet position ?

It's also good to know I can invest in a real hi hat stand later on and add it to the Nitro. Thank you for your help !
Check this tutorial I did years ago, it might help you understand the lingo a little bit more:

Check this tutorial I did years ago, it might help you understand the lingo a little bit more:

Thank you !

Back