Seating in front of a kit for the 1st time (Alesis Nitro Mesh), total beginner question

Marc_P

Hello friends, so after waiting for many years I finally decided I'm going to learn drums and got my first kit, I went for the Alesis Nitro Mesh as it seems to have decent reviews for my budget

I just set it and powered it up, everything seems fine but I'm having some difficulty with the hi hat pedal (please bear in mind I'm sitting in front of Drums for the first time in my life) :

Basically I find it very difficult to consistently make a "crash" sound with it (I mean by pressing frankly and rapidly the pedal), it will work here and there but I can't have a proper sound every single time I'm pressing the pedal

Also each time I release the pedal it makes a quite loud sound when the pedal reaches its end resting position

Based on my description do you think there is anything wrong with it or it is just me not using it properly (which is a solid possibility) ?

You mean closing the hi hat or splashing it? I don't think cheaper kits have hi hat splashes. If you mean you can't get a sound when stepping on the pedal, then that's a problem. Try checking if the cable is fully connected, if not check if any of the connectors at the module is damaged. Or just return it and get a new kit. I still don't know what "crash sound" you are talking about, can you be more specific?

I don’t know much about ekits, but I can tell you that your fans are the ones in front of your drum set. You’re actually “behind” it. :)

You mean closing the hi hat or splashing it? I don't think cheaper kits have hi hat splashes. If you mean you can't get a sound when stepping on the pedal, then that's a problem. Try checking if the cable is fully connected, if not check if any of the connectors at the module is damaged. Or just return it and get a new kit. I still don't know what "crash sound" you are talking about, can you be more specific?

sorry, poor wording from my side, I think this is what you actually call "splashing" like in this video:

Other functions of the pedal seems to work fine, for instance if I keep it down or up then I clearly have 2 different sounds (one more "muted" than the other)

I don’t know much about ekits, but I can tell you that your fans are the ones in front of your drum set. You’re actually “behind” it. :)

ahah yes thank you, this is also what I thought afterwhile ? English is not my mother tongue so I miss some
subtleties

There is a “splash sensitivity” setting in the module, check the manual.

oh thank you for pointing this out, I have to admit I'm quite overwhelmed by the quantity of settings and parameters I can adjust in the module at the moment !

So after changing this setting I can actually barely hear any difference between the highest and the lowest sensitivity :-(

Also do you think the loud mechanical noise I have when releasing the pedal is a malfunction from the pedal or me doing something wrong ?

Last edited:
oh thank you for pointing this out, I have to admit I'm quite overwhelmed by the quantity of settings and parameters I can adjust in the module at the moment !

So after changing this setting I can actually barely hear any difference between the highest and the lowest sensitivity :-(

Also do you think the loud mechanical noise I have when releasing the pedal is a malfunction from the pedal or me doing something wrong ?

I'm a little confused about your posts, I think you need to be more patient and also read thought the whole manual from the start. I was referring to the Utility menu's S-S setting (splash sens.), which only changes how easy it is to make a splash sound by stomping on the back of the pedal. This is probably the last sound you'll ever need to make, but if it's set too high, it will make this noise even if you don't want it, like when you just want to do a "chick" by stepping down on the pedal (without hitting it).

These pedals can be noisy, so it's hard to tell how much is normal. I just looked at this video and it seemed quite loud even in the guy's hands, plastic hitting plastic. Here's another sound example. If yours is worse, maybe try to contact Alesis support (good luck...). There is a hihat controller (Goedrum GHC-AN) that works with the Nitro and would mount on a real hihat stand which you might consider one day, it's not expensive, and feels better, but it also has it's own little noise.

Last edited:
Thank you Doreamon, I can confirm I've read the manual but didn't realize the "S-S Spash" setting could actually helps to solve my issue until after I read your post, like I mentioned I'm totally new to drumming and still pretty overwhelmed by the quantity of settings I can make and all the acronyms, working my way through it slowly.

Thank you for pointing out these videos, this is very helpful. In the first video I think he adresses the exact issue I have (even though he's referring at it as "foot only" operation of the pedal). Unfortunately my pedal design is different from the one shown on the video and it seems like they removed the screw that he uses to adjust it.

On the second video I can confirm the loud sound my pedal produces is exactly the same we can hear on the video so I guess this is normal and I will have to try to find a way to alter it. On the other hand he is able to produce much more consistent and regular sounds with the pedal that I'm able to even after trying to adjust the Splash settings so it might still worth to contact Alesis when the kit is still warranty. If I can ask another question: what are the 2 different sounds he is playing with the 2 different feet position ?

It's also good to know I can invest in a real hi hat stand later on and add it to the Nitro. Thank you for your help !

Last edited:
The first is a hi hat foot sound called chick, and the second, louder one is the splash, both are without hitting the cymbal pad. When you also hit the pad, the pedal can make a closed, open and a half-open sound. Just know that consistently finding the half-open position is virtually impossible on these pedals. Also when you have quick open/closed notes, your timing has to be perfect, if your foot is any late, it will not play the right note.

Thank you again, I have so many things to learn !

As a side note I found this manual for the Nitro which I find is more detailed or at least more beginner friendly (at least to me):

Now I need to find a way to do some sound insulation as my neighbour is already complaining about the noise..

Last edited:
That’s very comprehensive: I can’t find a cowbell sound on my much more expensive DTX6K3-X, let alone 11 types!

In which case you would be better off with a real kit with homemade pads on the batter heads...all kits, electronic and acoustic kit dampened will make noise.

Attachments

• IMAG0584.jpg
    IMAG0584.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 5
That’s very comprehensive: I can’t find a cowbell sound on my much more expensive DTX6K3-X, let alone 11 types!
Check the “data list” in downloads on Yamaha website, it has all voices listed. Perc. 14-16.

I can download additional sounds? I thought I was limited to onboard ones and there’s no cowbells listed there?

I can download additional sounds? I thought I was limited to onboard ones and there’s no cowbells listed there?
I mean the Downloads menu on the Yamaha kit website which has all the downloadable PDF manuals. :) including the one with the sound list.

Have you checked that the leads are connected to the right terminals? And pushed right in! (half way in can reverse the signal)
Your symptoms suggest something being reversed perhaps? (A noise when releasing the pedal)

Ps. 'pedal held down' and hihat hit with a stick should be a metallic 'tapping' sound.
'Pedal released' and hihat hit with a stick should be a noisy splashy cymbal sound.

Last edited:
Back