Zildjian 14" A Thin Crash Rant

Is this what you're looking for? ;)Hope it helps!
I already contacted them with questions about the video they said they have, as well as asked about weight. I actually have some cymbals from that era of Zildjians that contains that labeling, but since I got no response from the seller, I'm not interested in doing business with them. I can just imagine that cymbal arriving and not being what was advertised and trying to deal with them after the sale. No thanks, but thanks for trying. ;-)

Oh wow! But you’re welcome and hope you find what you’re looking for! ?

I found another one!

To answer “why” I would guess that the cost of producing the cymbal was greater than, or near to equal the income from sales.

There are lots of wonderful cymbals out there. You’ll find a sound you like.

To answer “why” I would guess that the cost of producing the cymbal was greater than, or near to equal the income from sales.
One would think so. They already produce a bunch of 14s though for hi hats. Surely the cost of 14s cant be too high.

I have no idea, maybe it's different to make a crash than a hat.

That's kind of lame-- A. Zildjian has been the definition of normal cymbals for what, a century? Seems like if there's one thing in the world they should be making, it's a full range of thin crashes-- 14 (or 12?)-22".

Anyway, I forgot all about 14" crashes. I think I need to get one now.

One would think so. They already produce a bunch of 14s though for hi hats. Surely the cost of 14s cant be too high.

I have no idea, maybe it's different to make a crash than a hat.
With bell shapes being different on each model I imagine it’s a different set of tooling for each cymbal with occasional overlap.

I already contacted them with questions about the video they said they have, as well as asked about weight. I actually have some cymbals from that era of Zildjians that contains that labeling, but since I got no response from the seller, I'm not interested in doing business with them. I can just imagine that cymbal arriving and not being what was advertised and trying to deal with them after the sale. No thanks, but thanks for trying. ;-)

Here’s a used one . But since you were in reverb you may have seen it already ?

I found another one!
And, Zenstat should make note that this one is the LARGE A series.

That isn't a THIN CRASH based on the weight. Those are more like 750g - 850g...
With all due respect, I beg to differ. Thin crashes are indeed in the range you describe. In fact, the first one Jason referred to on Reverb is 839g, the one with the Large A that I had previously was 820g. Perhaps you're mistaking your weights with the Fast crashes, which are are lighter, and range somewhere between 680 and 730g.

Eidt: Zenstat, please disregard this. I think your wording confused me a bit, and I think "those" you referred to was the Thin Crashes. I think if you had said "Thin Crashes" instead of "those", it would have been more clear for my little brain. So, my apologies for the post.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I beg to differ. Thin crashes are indeed in the range you describe. In fact, the first one Jason referred to on Reverb is 839g, the one with the Large A that I had previously was 820g. Perhaps you're mistaking your weights with the Fast crashes, which are are lighter, and range somewhere between 680 and 730g.
Thank you. That link appeared after I made my initial post which is why I still hadn't seen a 14" Thin Crash with the 2013 ink. Now I have seen a 14" Thin Crash with the 2013 ink. It now looks like an end year of 2006 for the 14" Thin Crash is another example of small errors or omissions in the Zildjian pdf on when models and diameters are introduced and deleted.
I'm now not surprised about errors and omissions on Zildjian's part. In fact, I just sent a message to them the other day, regarding how they don't have ANY specs on ANY of their products on their own website! Yet someone like Sweetwater has complete specs including weight classes, pitch, sustain, etc. I can't even believe Zildjian omits that sort of thing. What are they thinking? I mean, do they really expect us to take the word of their reseller over them? Most people want to hear things straight from the manufacturer, not a reaseller. Did a principal at Zildjian die, or soemthing, leaving marketing up to a bean counter or an engineer? Sheesh! Makes you start to lose faith in companies that make boneheaed moves like that, not to mention the discontinuation of what might arguably be the most versatile crash cymbal ever made. I mean, out of all crashes, the 14" A Thin Crash is the one crash that can pretty much cross all genres.

I'll try to be more precise in my writing.
No worries, I think it was more in the the way I perceived it than how you worded it. ;-)

Last edited:
Yes I've noticed that Sweetwater and some other sellers do seem to have specs which I don't see on the Zildjian web site. I'm not sure if the specs used to be on the public section of the Zildjian site and were removed in some "makeover", or were just in some private area for retailers. There is actually a lot of information available.
Zildjian used to post that info on the public part of their site, which is why I wonder if some numbskull is now in charge of marketing, because it's just plain dumb to have purposely gone out of their way to have removed it.

BTW, I just inquired with The Cymbal Vault about a new A Custom 14" Crash they have for sale, to see what it weighed, and I was told it was 675 grams. That's what a 14" A Fast Crashes weigh, so is the A Custom line THAT much lighter, or is that person incorrect? If that's correct, then that would mean the A Custom Fast Crashes must be Tissue Paper Thin. What are your thoughts on this, Zenstat?

Going right back to your first post, if you are looking for a Hi Hat top, my favorite pairing is

14" 1960s 732g
14" 1960s 1120g

I had the bottom and went looking for a top at the weight I knew (from my New Beats research which shows a 2:3 weight ratio) should work well. 60s 14" cymbals are plentiful and inexpensive. You won't be likely to find one with THIN ink although they do exist. This is a 776g example

NB-thin-top-ink.jpg

Reconstructing weight classes means finding these occasional cymbals which still have their weight class ink. So if you do find a cymbal and there is any weight or model ink, please do let me know. Every new data point helps.
Interestingly, your favorite pairing is quite close to what I have discovered I like. I can't remember the exact weight of my Zildjian bottom, but I believe it is somewhere between 1050 and 1120 grams. I have the exact weight written down at home and can post it when I get home from work today. That said, I really have no idea what model the bottom is, although now I wish I knew. I got it in Hong Kong in 1974 when I was young, and I don't recall any stamping or even categorizing of any Zildjians in the stores. I just remember that in those days, you either bough a Zildjian or you bought crap. It was recommended to me by the salesperson as part of a pair that included a UFIP top that I'm pretty sure weighs in at 828 grams. In fact, I rembember insisting on a Zildjian top, wondering why the guy was saying I should get the UFIP top, until he set them up som we could compare them. When we compared the two, the UFIP sounded better. And, it still sounds great, and has good action, but at 13 and 15/16", it is ever-so-slightly smaller than my 14" bottom.

(I don't know if you're aware of it or not, but Zildjian ironically now has a new hi-hat model, the K Custom Session that also sports a 13 and 15/16" top over a 14" bottom.)

The problem with this size combination is that this tiny difference results in sticks getting chewed up at an amazingly quick rate from catching the edge of the slightly larger botton that sticks out a bit. Hence my search for a 14" A Thin Crash. While the A Thin Crash is actually 14 and 1/8" (well, at least the small A and Large A series are), a slightly larger top is better than a slightly larger bottom because the angle of the protrusion of the bottom edge, not the top edge, is what eats sticks.

The Large A Thin Crash I referenced in my original post was a bit lighter at 820 grams, but I remember it sounding nicely "pronounced" when hitting it when closed, and it had an awesome fan/bark. I attribute the more "pronounced" sound as due to my UFIP having a slightly dark timbre to it. I actually posted in a different thread my findings when I tested that A Thin Crash as a hi-hat top. But, at the time I was looking for a crash not a hi-hat top, and that A Thin Crash didn't fit what I was looking for. It wasn't until quite some time later after I got some A Mastersounds that I realized the stick-chewing was from my original hats, because sticks started lasting years again when the Mastersounds were on the kit. I now actually have a set of A's and an almost brand-new set of A Custom Mastersounds, but the A Customs ended up having too sharp of a sound for me, so I'm in the process of selling them and they're in brand-new condition from me playing on them for less than an hour before putting them away. I might sell the A Mastersounds, too, once I find the right top to replace my UFIP (but I will never sell the UFIP).

I did consider having my bottom hat diameter shaved a bit, but I don't want to ruin it. I've tried so many combinations, between that circa 1974 bottom and both Mastersound bottoms that I have, and it seems like no matter what top or crash I put with what bottom, that 1974 bottom makes any pairing sound significantly better. It's actually ironic that I know this now, because prior to my trying different things out, I would never have thought a hi-hat bottom makes such a difference, which I'm sure you have discovered, too!

Going right back to your first post, if you are looking for a Hi Hat top, my favorite pairing is

14" 1960s 732g
14" 1960s 1120g

I had the bottom and went looking for a top at the weight I knew (from my New Beats research which shows a 2:3 weight ratio) should work well.
What are the measured diameters of your top and bottom? Are they the exact same size?

Last edited:
Zenstat,

Don't know if you want this data for your research, but here are pics of my Hollow Logo 13" and 16" Thin Crashes. Yep, you heard right, the 13" is a CRASH not a Splash. The "Thin Crash" ink is gone from the 16", but you can still make out the hollow logo on the back if you look close. The 13" is 538 gram, and the 16" is 928 grams.
image000000.jpg

IMG_20210327_212709_01.jpgimage000001.jpg

BTW, my Ufip hi-hat top is 826 grams, and my Zildjian bottom is 1180 grams.

I just got word back from someone selling a 14" thin crash, with the small a ink, that it weighs 848g and the diameter measures 14.25 inches. The ink says 14"/36cm. This is for your records.

Got a like on a post of mine here and checked this thread. Reading the comments i just realised i'd love to have a 14" crash again. I favor bigger crashes (18 and 19, even 20 although i don't own a 20" crash), but anything below 18" is 'meh'. I did have a full set of Meinl Classics years back; 14" medium crash, 16 and 18" powerful crashes. Thinking back, the 14" never anoyed me. In my current setup it fills the gap between the 10" splash and the 18" crash perfectly. Not too splashy, not to crashy. Maybe an 14" crash is the answer. Ahhhh too many ideas!

Back