Export vs Rockstar

Ricky006

Just a show of hands or any and all the feelings you have and thank you to any participants and those who look.

The Export all day (and all night) for me, but I'm an incurable Pearl proponent programmed to push the brand's badges. I haven't owned an Export in quite a while, but my experience with the line is that it's reliable to the core. I have nothing against Tama though. Pearl is just my camp.

The Exports are hard to beat, and I give them the edge because they're still in production and they have a decent number of finish options. The hardware is also solid too.

Not that there's anything wrong with Rockstars. They were built really well and also had some nice finishes though looks-wise they seemed to be stuck in the 80s-90s with those high tension lugs.

Thank you for your response. I have owned 2 sets of Exports and 2 sets of Rockstars and I'm currently playing the Exports and I guess I'm just having bad luck with them lugs snapping etc... So I bought another set of Rockstars. Keep in mind I'm not touring or recording hence the inexpensive drums we are talking about. Thanks again.

The Exports are hard to beat, and I give them the edge because they're still in production and they have a decent number of finish options. The hardware is also solid too.

Not that there's anything wrong with Rockstars. They were built really well and also had some nice finishes though looks-wise they seemed to be stuck in the 80s-90s with those high tension lugs.
I'm a huge fan of the high tension lug always have been, maybe it's having been born in the early 60's.

I kind of like them too. I had an Export Pro kit for awhile as a "leave the house" kit but anymore, they bring their gear to my place and we don't gig so I sold it. It sounded really good for not being real. I regret selling it, but it just sat around unused.
My ad pic.
View attachment 102264
Unreal

Exports are the Toyota Corolla of drums. You can beat the hell out of them but they don't die. Exports were my first kit so I vote for them. They were great drums for that time. I've played on Rockstars plenty of times. Quality wise they are probably equal, nostalgia wise.. Exports win.

I had an 8pc Export setup around ‘05ish and was not gentle with them to say the least. They never failed me once. I sold them to help fund my Starclassic B/B kit. If I was still in the rowdy bar circuit I wouldn’t hesitate to use Exports again. In fact, I kind of miss Pearl and have contemplated a Session Studio Select kit.

One of the best kits I ever owned was a Pearl Midtown which is a mini export.

My first brand new kit was a Tama Rockstar which was a bit meh although some of the hardware is still going strong 20 years on.

Rockstar? Those are history. Get current with the all-maple Superstar Classic.

pen_CL72SP_GJP.png

I'm a huge fan of the high tension lug always have been, maybe it's having been born in the early 60's.
I was born in 60 and I've never cared for the high-tension lugs. It's because I'm left-handed I tell you?

Export or Rockstar. Pick whichever you like, for whatever reason. I think they're on pretty equal ground.

I'm not a fan of the high tension lug thing. I've never seen the reason (other than looks). Maybe on marching snares. But on regular drum sets. The jazz guys with the bop kits throw more "tension" on their drums (with their higher jazz bop tuning) ...... and I don't see any bop kits with high tension lugs. And the rock guys with power toms tuned "JAW", I'm not sure they're getting the most out of them high tension lugs;)

But the real answer is MAPEX.:ROFLMAO: Or Yamaha Stage Custom;)

Exports or Rockstars, both good drum kit brands.

We have an Export kit with cracked cymbals at the local bar. The kit holds up to abuse by many patrons.

I've often wondered what their Call In Savings are like, although I guess never quite enough to actually do so. Anyone have any idea of a ballpark?
Many manufacturers require resellers to list a specific "minimum advertised price". This MAP is what you see on web sites and in catalogs (if you get any). When you call a reseller and ask if there's a lower price than the MAP, then the reseller is free to introduce a price that is lower than the MAP. The key is: the customer must ask. In some cases, the reseller may not need or want to lower the price as it comes off their profit, not the manufacturer's.

This doesn't apply to only drum gear or musical instruments either. In the photo realm, it's been going on since the early 1980s.

Many manufacturers require resellers to list a specific "minimum advertised price". This MAP is what you see on web sites and in catalogs (if you get any). When you call a reseller and ask if there's a lower price than the MAP, then the reseller is free to introduce a price that is lower than the MAP. The key is: the customer must ask. In some cases, the reseller may not need or want to lower the price as it comes off their profit, not the manufacturer's.

This doesn't apply to only drum gear or musical instruments either. In the photo realm, it's been going on since the early 1980s.
If you don’t ask, you don’t get. When’s the last time anyone paid sticker price for a new car?

Can't go wrong with either really. I personally prefer most of the 'features' found on the rockstar however I'm really splitting hairs... They aren't that different outside of the bridge lugs (which is moot if you buy an older used export). Rockstar is only available used right now (good or bad thing depending on budget and preference) where as exports can be had new or used giving you more purchase flexibility. Both are solid and reliable work horses.

Pearl is supposed to have the best warranty and customer service in the industry so keep that in mind if buying new. I personally did not have a great experience with my first and only time trying to utilize their customer service HOWEVER I really want to emphasize the fact that my experience does not match what most people report and it's safe to say they are solid as a whole. I'll always be honest about my personal experiences but I also don't want to defame a prominent company nor shy away a fellow drummer from buying what ultimately will probably be a really solid and reliable set of drums.

*Edit* I'm now working with pearl customer service regarding my previous issue. I won't go into detail here and will update my personal thread BUT I wanted to revise my earlier comment. Pearl's customer service definitely meets their reputation.

Last edited:
90s era Exports long lugs were actually not- they're separate lugs, open at the non-tension rod end, with a separate piece of metal held down by the actual lugs to appear as if they're one piece. For me, that, and not liking the elbow-arm tom mounts were the deciding factors for me, resulting in my Rockstar kit purchase back in '91.

Back