New Here

DiggerG

Hi all. Hope you are all keeping well.
Don't know if it's a mid life crisis or what, but after a few years playing guitar, I've developed an unhealthy interest in drums. Booked some lessons and bought a TD-1KV back in October to practice at home. Then spotted a bargain acoustic kit on GumTree so snapped that up with a view to converting it to an e kit. After looking into it deeper it's pretty cost prohibitive if I get it wrong, so I am about to buy the Roland VAD 306 kit as I love the fact the drums are on stands as opposed to a rack. I may convert my acoustic floor tom to use up the spare trigger input on the module. Safe to say I'm loving it at the moment, and can't wait for the new kit to arrive.

Welcome to the forum. There are far unhealthier occupations to adopt than drumming. Over the course of almost four decades of playing, I've found drummers to be among the brightest, most perceptive people on the planet. Rhythmic analysis and four-way independence do good things to the brain.
Indeed. I'm fine with it, It's the wife who's labelled it unhealthy. A grown man cooped up in a man cave with headphones on muttering expletives at the inability to use his 50 odd year old limbs separately from one and other. :D

Indeed. I'm fine with it, It's the wife who's labelled it unhealthy. A grown man cooped up in a man cave with headphones on muttering expletives at the inability to use his 50 odd year old limbs separately from one and other. :D
Lol that's normal! Even after almost 30 years I still yell expletives at difficult parts. Welcome to the forum!

My wife heard me cursing at myself for the first time the other day and commented that now she doesn't feel as weird that she does that while learning things on the guitar.
Welcome to the forum sir!
Gumtree makes my mind go to Australia...

Welcome to the forum. There are far unhealthier occupations to adopt than drumming. Over the course of almost four decades of playing, I've found drummers to be among the brightest, most perceptive people on the planet. Rhythmic analysis and four-way independence do good things to the brain.
Oh-oh!....I'm still not completely where I want to be independence-wise. Does this mean I'm a little dut-doh? o_O

Oh-oh!....I'm still not completely where I want to be independence-wise. Does this mean I'm a little dut-doh? o_O

If your coordination falters and you also find yourself struggling with basic calculations, perhaps a correlation between the two can be drawn. :)

That's a bad example in my case. Math has never been my friend.

Welcome to the forum!

The hardest part about drumming is finding a place to practice without driving people nuts. I suppose people just think good drummers fall out of the sky.

The reality is for every good drummer there's some parents, siblings, neighbors, college roommates, storage space landlords, that have sacrificed a good part of their lives learning to block out something while doing something else. That in itself is the basis for drumming - doing one thing (improvisation) while blocking out something else (the ostinato pattern). So I suppose drummers force others to manifest superior concentration skills. Not to mention great anger management.

Here's hoping you sound great right off the start! (if you don't sound great, then people won't "dig" what you're doin')

Where does the name DiggerG come from?

Welcome to the Forum! You'll love drumming.

Last edited:
Hello. Welcome to the forum. That Roland VAD 306 kit looks pretty good in the video that I just watched.

Lol that's normal! Even after almost 30 years I still yell expletives at difficult parts. Welcome to the forum!

I have to be carefull about this habit because I use a head set mic at gigs for backing vox...

Hello. Welcome to the forum. That Roland VAD 306 kit looks pretty good in the video that I just watched.
Thanks for the welcome.
Yes. As with all e drums, there are compromises. I almost went for the TD-17KVX until I saw this kit. Much better looking on stands and booms, rather than a rack, for me anyway. Others may prefer a rack.
I wasn't happy with the 8" Toms on the KVX either. The VAD306 has 2 x 10" toms and a 12". I also have a 16" acoustic Floor Tom which I plan to convert, which won't look out of place.

Back