NEW DRUMMERS...???

bernhard

Founder Drummerworld
Staff member
There are so many drummers suggested to be included in Drummerworld Gallery. All are impressive. I'm not in a hurry to put up a new talent - that's why:

These last weeks i started to look through all these 10 years old issues of Modern Drummer, Drum, Sticks and Percussion, Drumheads, DRUM! and so on.

In every issue new drummers are featured as coming sensation - even on the title - but now only a very few made it. Fortunately i was lucky to make the right choices for including in Drummerworld, because taking someone down is not easy. But where are they gone? Do they still play somewhere? What is your opinion? I give now no samples, there are too many - check the old issues.....sad.

Bernhard

I think it's wise to feature drummers that have had some influence on other drummers. That means not just being a great technician and/or a great feel, but having a presence in the music scene for more than just a year or two. You're right, there are a LOT of magazine cover featured drummers who nobody even thinks about 5 years after they enjoyed a little exposure. The list of 'where-are-they-now' drummers is much longer than the Drummerworld 500!

Any drummer that gets the, Up and Coming title, is given the title by once source, which is one opinion. Like you, I believe they have to prove themselves. Where are the singers that win the Americas Got Talent, or Britains Got Talent, American Idol? Very few are doing anything ten years later.

this is all reflective living in a world of "one and done". Media sources are looking for the quick, sensational, repetitive sell, and claiming some kind of extra special event - Up and Coming - is part of that sell...regardless of the validity of the claim.

I can't stand all of the "_________ got Talent" shows...that whole style of show, at least to me, is a pretty sketchy definition of talent...

I say keep your eyes open for the guys who are quietly making themselves a staple of a scene/genre/performance type by actually using their talent, personality, and professionalism, rather than flashes, dings, bells and whistles

What about a list for the 500 Newest Drummers? Or would it be difficult if like you say, they either changed their mind on being publicized or they were a one-time hit and never made anything of it? You could have a monthly poll on who the newest is.

For some reason I tend to think the new drummers out there that dedicated themselves to achieving a formal music degree, are more in it for the long term than not. That should be a factor.

And then you have guys who have been hidden in the shadows, doing their own thing for years upon years, and virtually no one has heard of because they dont play popular music.

John Longstreth comes to mind for example. The man has been at the top of the extreme metal pile since the 90s, yet no one knows who he is because the music he plays is not mainstream by a mile. No one plays like John. He is an anomaly of the drum world, yet goes completely unnoticed. I truly believe he deserves a spot in the top 500, and a place amongst the drumming greats of history. His speed, technicality, and cleanliness in playing are what sets him apart from the rest. The man deserves some props.

During the past 10 years drumming "media" has shifted substantially from print to online platforms such as YouTube. I imagine that may have an effect on what we perceive as artist longevity.

I remember in 60,70,80's all the one-hit wonders. Talents come and go-at least they have some claim to fame. But as far as list any entertainer/musician needs staying power-some history of accomplishments for some period of time-like 5-10 years a minimum. It's definitely worth monitoring growing drummers for their achievements/success over time. Youtube subscriptions/followers seems like a hell of a way to measure a drummer given I've seen great drummers with few followers and some truly mediocre to pathetic drummers with huge number of followers. Seems marketing pays off. I don't get it But WTF do I know given the outcome. I think you can create objective criteria to assess drummers-just like in academia I had criteria to meet for promotion and tenure. Fill in the boxes of categories like time in position, awards, grants, etc-your in LOL. One way or the other a lot of drummers get a lot of exposure posting videos on here anyways. All the threads wanting Drummer A, B, C to be on DW list.

Last edited:
I remember in 60,70,80's all the one-hit wonders. Talents come and go-at least they have some claim to fame. But as far as list any entertainer/musician needs staying power-some history of accomplishments for some period of time-like 5-10 years a minimum. It's definitely worth monitoring growing drummers for their achievements/success over time. Youtube subscriptions/followers seems like a hell of a way to measure a drummer given I've seen great drummers with few followers and some truly mediocre to pathetic drummers with huge number of followers. Seems marketing pays off. I don't get it But WTF do I know given the outcome. I think you can create objective criteria to assess drummers-just like in academia I had criteria to meet for promotion and tenure. Fill in the boxes of categories like time in position, awards, grants, etc-your in LOL. One way or the other a lot of drummers get a lot of exposure posting videos on here anyways. All the threads wanting Drummer A, B, C to be on DW list.

most of the Youtube world is going on looks....not talent: that person is hot...I am following them.

most of the Youtube world is going on looks....not talent: that person is hot...I am following them.
Well I have few followers is that because I'm ugly or I have talent LOL. Wait a minute I'm an Adonis of hot eye candy so I should be swamped with dames following my licks?? This can't be right. ROFL!!!!!

The same thing happens with everyone...singers, guitarists, etc...Up-and-coming
Well I have few followers is that because I'm ugly or I have talent LOL. Wait a minute I'm an Adonis of hot eye candy so I should be swamped with dames following my licks?? This can't be right. ROFL!!!!!
The joke that popped into my head is NSFDW (Not Safe For Drummer World), so I'll just keep that one to myself.

Because everybody does the same thing, I’d say there are no NEW drummers. Some appear to be knitting sweaters more than others, but that’s about it. Maybe we should have a “cardigan” category instead ?

I guess as in everything there are innovators like Elon or Elvin and followers who benefit from them.
But not every scientist is a Nobel laureate but that doesn’t negate the rest of their contributions. Some people shine more than others -I’m glad they do. But what would a queen bee ? f not for the worker-dead that’s what. See where I’m going I’d rather be a worker than a queen. Wait a minute???? Forget the bee analogy. That ain’t right- so your an ant......and......Forget about it.

But seriously I'm grateful Bernhard recruits/cajoles approval of more stellar drummers to the DW list. He's right it could easily grow to be ridiculous and there is just no end to fabulous drummers nowadays. It could easily grow to be problematic. I like new ones just pop up one day-some I'm not that familiar so cool to get info and watch videos. Between here, DW Youtube, and Facebook DW I'm saturated with fabulous drummers daily. In fact been ripping off some fills and working on them. Like free drum lessons LOL.

Last edited:
Pan flutes and Slim Whitman... Oh, boy.

Don't knock Slim. He sold more records than the Beatles from the commercials I remember back in the 60's & 70's. Box Car Willie came in a close second to Slim.

Back