Garden variety DW Maple shells. Deal or no deal?

My Renowns have been in their cases since July or so. I set them up today and man, they really sound good! I'm keeping them.
So keeping 3 now, or is a Sonor kit gonna go? Just curious cause yesterday you were trying to get to 2.

So keeping 3 now, or is a Sonor kit gonna go? Just curious cause yesterday you were trying to get to 2.
I'm going to keep all 3. A bit ostentatious maybe but I truly like them all. My wife had loaned me the $$ for the SQ1s and I've already paid her back everything but $125 on those so I'm way ahead of that being taken care of. I have two full sets of hardware and cymbals which is good because I only have room to set up two kits at a time. So they have to share. I put the Prolites away. It's black kit day!
1.jpg2.jpg ;)

I'm going to keep all 3. A bit ostentatious maybe but I truly like them all. My wife had loaned me the $$ for the SQ1s and I've already paid her back everything but $125 on those so I'm way ahead of that being taken care of. I have two full sets of hardware and cymbals which is good because I only have room to set up two kits at a time. So they have to share. I put the Prolites away. It's black kit day!
View attachment 97857View attachment 97858 ;)
I really like the SQ1. If drums were clothes that would be a tux for sure. I think it's the satin that does it for me.

Is that a Yamaha Club speaker I see above the keyboard?

I really like the SQ1. If drums were clothes that would be a tux for sure. I think it's the satin that does it for me.

Is that a Yamaha Club speaker I see above the keyboard?
Yamaha A15. I have two on stands that we use for a PA when we jam/practice at the house. They go into a Mackie 2500 amp and a Behringer 2442 USB board.

Yamaha A15. I have two on stands that we use for a PA when we jam/practice at the house. They go into a Mackie 2500 amp and a Behringer 2442 USB board.
Oh okay. They look similar to Club model. Thought maybe you had something I may have built. We didnt build those.

I would not trade my Renown and $800.00 for the DW kit. Mine sound great to me and to take a chance on what I feel are normally dead sounding toms, would be silly. Satisfy your own ears.

I don't think the DW kit above has Keller shells. It was made in 2014. If that's what you're asking of course.
That is what I was asking. And it is what I would be looking for in a DW pack. Although my kit is a mix of mapes and birch. I prefer toms in birch.

I may be off my rocker here, but you (Darth) buy and sell gear all the time. I have never seen a 5pc collectors set in my area for near that price. I say buy them, set them up, tap on them a bit, give the lugs some love, either confirm what you already know about them sound wise or be surprised...then make some money for your efforts.

Better yet, record all the sets you have, even if only with an Phone and shut down the love/hate threads instantly. That seems worth the effort!

In the spirit of the season; I’m AZ Trouble Maker and I approve this message! ;)

I may be off my rocker here, but you (Darth) buy and sell gear all the time. I have never seen a 5pc collectors set in my area for near that price. I say buy them, set them up, tap on them a bit, give the lugs some love, either confirm what you already know about them sound wise or be surprised...then make some money for your efforts.

Better yet, record all the sets you have, even if only with an Phone and shut down the love/hate threads instantly. That seems worth the effort!

In the spirit of the season; I’m AZ Trouble Maker and I approve this message! ;)

Definitely a good price! I think that's what made me think about acquiring them. Pre-Covid I think would have. I'm not sure what the resale market is out in the PHX area but when I say nothing is moving around here, I mean NOTHING! I had that 5 piece Renown kit up at $900 with all the trick tom mounting hardware included and didn't get even 1 serious inquiry. Not even the usual offer of $800. I got really lucky on that 4 pc SQ1 kit pictured. The guy lived 2 towns over from me and he told me I was the only one who called him at $1800! That kit costs $3250 MAP. Peeps are out of work and are uncertain about their future. It's definitely affecting the used instrument economy.

Solution is keep all three kits. Now with the Hendrix Player stave purchase the Renown has it's own cool snare. ;) (y)

$1600 for that kit sounds like a good deal to me. I personally love DW drums. There are some definite criticisms of DW out there but I love the look, the sound, all of that. In the ad it's like "this is a "5-piece kit"...yeah, if you bring your own snare. I was lucky on my DW Collectors and I got the matching snare with it.

I'm not sure what the resale market is out in the PHX area but when I say nothing is moving around here, I mean NOTHING! I
I had 6 PDP 800 boom stands listed on CL for $20 each OBO since I got my Yamaha Crosstowns. Not a single ping, except from my favorite Nigerian Prince. I got tired of tripping over them and GC gave me my price, so I went that route.

funny part is, people are paying $35 to $40 + shipping used for those, but nothing locally.

That kit sounds like a great deal. I would go with my gut instead of all the outside noise.
There are an awful lot of very talented, well known professionals playing DW drums. I seriously doubt they would play these kits with "dead sounding toms". How ridiculous.
Would any of you scrap your dignity by playing and endorsing crap equipment? Would you expect a pro too?

$1600 for that kit sounds like a good deal to me. I personally love DW drums. There are some definite criticisms of DW out there but I love the look, the sound, all of that. In the ad it's like "this is a "5-piece kit"...yeah, if you bring your own snare. I was lucky on my DW Collectors and I got the matching snare with it.
It is a good deal. DW's are quality drums. I've just decided that I like what I have without having to pony up another $800 right now before X-mas.

That kit sounds like a great deal. I would go with my gut instead of all the outside noise.
There are an awful lot of very talented, well known professionals playing DW drums. I seriously doubt they would play these kits with "dead sounding toms". How ridiculous.
Would any of you scrap your dignity by playing and endorsing crap equipment? Would you expect a pro too?

DW's are quality stuff. Aesthetically they're not my cuppa tea so I probably wouldn't end up keeping them. I wasn't sure about the shell thickness when I made the OP. That said I already have a quality thin shell w/re-ring maple kit with my Prolites. Renown's are a thicker shell which I like too. I've bought enough stuff not to have to rely on outside noise but it's nice solicit some opinions on things too.

I'm kind of torn in that I have the Renown kit up for sale too. I have two other kits that I like a lot. I actually like the finish on the DW kit but the idea was to sell the Renowns and get down to two kits. I'm not that familiar with DW shell construction. Are they thin, medium, heavy? I think they have re-rings. The thing is, it's hard to sell anything right now and if he's having a hard time getting $1700 for them I might be stuck with them for awhile myself. That and I have to dig up another $800 having just bought another snare.

Ugh. Decisions. (Voice in my head: "you don't need another kit ya bozo!"
Oh but you do...you could always use another kit, it's a must for artists to broaden the palette.

View attachment 97857View attachment 97858 ;)
Beautiful kits!
What if you tell the wife (evil capitalist bank) you’re not paying?

Beautiful kits!
What if you tell the wife (evil capitalist bank) you’re not paying?
Why mess up a good thing? I paid back that last $125 today as a matter of fact. I get the occasional...."I thought you were going down to 2 kits" but it's in jest. She knows the score. Good drum gear just has a way of turning up at our house! ?‍♂️

Reactions: TJK
Back